Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 04-17-2018, 11:21 PM   #1

Dash Airconditioner

When driving do you use the dash air and run the generator and roof air...or just run the dash air???

The dash air will freeze us out of the cab but it doesn't do much for the rest of the motorhome. Running just the roof air requires the generator and it doesn't really cool the cab area.

I guess we will keep running both. Wondering what others do???
cabinetmaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2018, 03:23 AM   #2

Depends on outside temperatures and if my wife is up front or in the house portion. If we are both up front we sometimes put up the curtain and close the overhead bed. This keeps the cab area isolated and it is easier to cool or heat. In extreme heat or cold we operate the house heating or air conditioning to keep the unit comfortable when we arrive, if we don’t it can take a long time to get it back in control.
RVermont is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2018, 07:39 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by RVermont View Post
Depends on outside temperatures and if my wife is up front or in the house portion. If we are both up front we sometimes put up the curtain and close the overhead bed. This keeps the cab area isolated and it is easier to cool or heat. In extreme heat or cold we operate the house heating or air conditioning to keep the unit comfortable when we arrive, if we don’t it can take a long time to get it back in control.
Thanks for your thoughts...I didn't think about putting up the screen. We previously have had class A motorhomes and the dash air didn't do much. Always ran the generator and roof units. The generator in my Greyhawk 29MVP is right behind and below the drivers seat. Not terrible when running but so much more peaceful when not. Wish there was a way to duct the dash air back behind the cab somehow. The class C seems to have a much better dash air I guess because it's all Ford stuff and not been added on by the coach builder like in a class A. That's one of the reasons I like a C class is the cab.
cabinetmaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2018, 08:02 AM   #4

Quote:
When you've had to run the house air with the generator while on the road, what's the longest time you've used that configuration?
Jaytalk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2018, 08:12 AM   #5

Two days. We left In late August at 90+ and drove to North Carolina where is was 100+. Ran generator for 32 hours. Had to change the oil after that trip as I hit my hours pretty quickly.
Kept every one comfortable. For the whole trip. Engine ran for 16 hours over the two days. I did shut the generator down for a short time during the evening to check fluids. But other than that 20-30 minutes it ran great.
RVermont is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2018, 08:43 AM   #6

Quote:
Two days. We left In late August at 90+ and drove to North Carolina where is was 100+. Ran generator for 32 hours. Had to change the oil after that trip as I hit my hours pretty quickly.
Kept every one comfortable. For the whole trip. Engine ran for 16 hours over the two days. I did shut the generator down for a short time during the evening to check fluids. But other than that 20-30 minutes it ran great.
No problems. That's exactly what I wanted to hear! Thanks.
Jaytalk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2018, 09:15 AM   #7

If you have roof vent covers, open up a roof vent aft of the coach while you're going down the road. It will help pull the dash air through the cabin.

I've done this w/ every Class 'C' I've had and never had any problems keeping the coach reasonable.

On the sidelines taking it all in.

Jopopsy is offline   Reply With Quote