Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 04-21-2020, 08:44 PM   #1

DC power is DEAD

I have a 2017 Jayco Greyhawk 29mv. I have lost all power to the "House" I have been having issues with the inverter shutting off after a few hours, the error code suggested low voltage. But the battery "100ah lithium" was fully charged. Now the main DC power is completely dead. No inverter, no lights. I have checked all the AC and DC fuses and breakers all were still intact. Are there any fuses between the batteries and the inverter. This is a true head scratcher.
Ron, Indy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2020, 09:36 PM   #2
Lost in the Woods

Did you check the battery voltage with a digital meter? Then, did you check to see if your converter is charging the battery?
RetiredOne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2020, 09:55 PM   #3

Do you have a Converter and an Inverter? OR do you have an Inverter Charger.

If converter Check the 2 40 a "Reverse Polairty" fuses. Check for an Inline resetable fuse close to then battery.

Is your "battery Disconnect" switch on?

2011 Keystone Sprinter 323 BH
Cavie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2020, 01:51 AM   #4

I used a voltmeter to check the actual voltage of batteries. And got a 13.8v and my victron battery monitor showed my solar panel are producing lots of power. Over the past month or so, I have been having issues where I would leave my RV with the inverter on and the main house switch in the on position. And when I came back a few days later. The inverter was off but the radio was on. All this is happening and I haven't made any changes to the system in a while. Talk about "a ghost in the machine"
Old 04-22-2020, 01:54 AM   #5

I have a separate inverter and charger. Everything is "stock" except the batteries are upgraded to lithium batteries. I checked each battery individually and all four were fully charged but I am not getting juice to the inverter. I don't know if there is a relay somewhere inline or what.
Old 04-22-2020, 04:15 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron, Indy View Post
I have a separate inverter and charger. Everything is "stock" except the batteries are upgraded to lithium batteries. I checked each battery individually and all four were fully charged but I am not getting juice to the inverter. I don't know if there is a relay somewhere inline or what.

There is a fuse between the battery and the inverter. Have you checked the resets on the inverter? Does your inverter feed a sub panel or go directly to the outlets it is feeding?

Old 04-22-2020, 04:23 AM   #7

Quote:
I used a voltmeter to check the actual voltage of batteries. And got a 13.8v and my victron battery monitor showed my solar panel are producing lots of power. Over the past month or so, I have been having issues where I would leave my RV with the inverter on and the main house switch in the on position. And when I came back a few days later. The inverter was off but the radio was on. All this is happening and I haven't made any changes to the system in a while. Talk about "a ghost in the machine"
Radio actually on playing music or just Has power? Radio is a parasitic draw to keep the time and stations set. Battery disconnect does not shut it of. Same for CO Detector, LP Detector.

Was inverter resets tripped? What does the inverter supply?

Old 04-22-2020, 06:39 AM   #8

Quote:
I don't know if there is a relay somewhere inline or what.
There is the battery disconnect relay which is what you control with the switch by the door. It is usually in the battery compartment, check and see if those connections are corroded. Relay may have failed too. Could also be a corroded ground.
Old 04-22-2020, 11:18 AM   #9

Thanks for your reply, I was wondering if there was a relay/fuse inline, because when I test the cables leading into the inverter they are totally dead. And when I test the actual battery it shows full 13.8v. Now it's a matter of locating this fuse you mentioned. Is it close to the batteries or is it closer to the inverter.

Thanks for your help

Ron
Old 04-22-2020, 11:28 AM   #10

Thanks for your advice, there isn't hardly any rust/corrosion it's only 3 yrs old. I did see where the positive cable runs to what looks like the old Ford relay / solenoid, is that the relay you mean, it is in the battery bay.

Thanks again for your input

Ron
Old 04-22-2020, 01:02 PM   #11

The radio was actually playing when I walked up to it, I could hear it from outside. This happened four or five times. I would always double check to make sure it was off when I left. I would leave the main power on and the inverter because I have security cameras on my Rig. And I have a cell phone and a DVR running which only draws a bit over 6.2amp and with my solar the batteries are well charged but something keep causing this switch. And now everything behind the truck cab is Dead. This is truly driving me crazy.

Thanks again,

Ron
Old 04-22-2020, 01:14 PM   #12

Quote:
Thanks for your advice, there isn't hardly any rust/corrosion it's only 3 yrs old. I did see where the positive cable runs to what looks like the old Ford relay / solenoid, is that the relay you mean, it is in the battery bay.

Thanks again for your input

Ron
Yes, that is you battery disconnect. If it is on it will have voltage on both sides. If off it will have voltage only on 1 side. If the fuse , which is close to the battery is blown, there will be no voltage on either side.

Old 04-22-2020, 01:19 PM   #13

Is the 120 volt systems being effected by this or just the 12 volt system.

Old 04-22-2020, 06:07 PM   #14

Well, I can't start the generator, at least not with the control panel on the wall. Haven't checked the switch on the actual unit. and I don't have any shore power where its stored.
Old 04-22-2020, 06:17 PM   #15

Quote:
Well, I can't start the generator, at least not with the control panel on the wall. Haven't checked the switch on the actual unit. and I don't have any shore power where its stored.
If you have no power to the remote start that sounds like a battery ground issue. That panel is fed directly by the generator so you obviously have no power to it either. The Geny is connected directly to the batteries and grounded to the frame.
Old 04-22-2020, 06:52 PM   #16

Very interesting,,,,,, that could prove to be very helpful. I will defiantly Look for that specifically. The way everything just died instantly had me wondering. But I just didn't know where to start . At least now I have a reasonable place to focus on.

Thanks,

I'll keep in touch

Ron
Old 04-23-2020, 10:12 AM   #17

You're getting some very good advice from Grumpy, Cavie and others. What I wonder about is, checking battery voltage. Are you absolutely positive you're not measuring charging voltage from the solor panels. If the batteries really are at 13 plus volts then tracing the connections/voltage down stream from the batteries then you know what the problem is not. The bad 'ground' is a strong maybe. Calling that side ground is a serious misnomer, it's not a ground, it's the negative side of a two sided loop. The Ford type solenoid is a 12 VDC switch who's negative side is the case and screws holding it to the frame of the truck. I doubt if it's the case here but I've seen corrosion between a Ford solenoid and it's mounting prevent cranking. You got good advice on how to test the solenoid but remember it's a high amperage 12 VDC switch triggered by a low amperage 12 VDC switch and remeber, a little corrosion can stop a mighty motor home.
Feeds Four
Sleeps Two
Mahatnmacoat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2020, 12:05 PM   #18

Power

Ron, I have a 2016 29mv the plumbing and electrical should be the same. Have you had any plumbing leaks lately, in the bath room or from under the bed?
I had a leak from some of the plumbing under the bed, got the carpet wet, fixed the leak and sucked up the water with wet dry vac. Several hours later the main slide pulled in all by itself. The switch would no longer work. After a few hours troubleshooting and scratching my head, I ended up under the bed where the inverter is and a lot of other a Electrical stuff. also the relays for the slides. a small circuit board that had the slide relays on it was screwed to the floor. Remember the wet carpet from under the bed? The circuit board is now screwed to wet carpet. I took care of that problem. There is a lot of stuff underneath the bed, you might want to open it and start looking around.
Mako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2020, 02:00 PM   #19

Ron - Maybe you have solved this problem by now. I'm a little late to the party. I have a Greyhawk 29ME. There is a breaker on the AC panel dedicated to the converter. If that breaker is flipped, it will not generate 12VDC to any DC systems or charge the battery.

I also replaced my house battery with a Lithium. And at the same time, I replaced the converter to properly charge the Lithium. Did you replace the converter with a Lithium-friendly unit? Was it a like-for-like conversion, so all connections swapped over?

Just thinking of possibilities. We have similar electrical setups.

Regards,

Roger
Flight Control is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2020, 05:57 PM   #20

Had the same issue, turned out to be the Battery disconnect switch of my 31 Jayco Greyhawk. It's a crazy switch. Folks at Jayco could improve on this.
THOMAS843 is offline   Reply With Quote