Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 11-22-2020, 03:00 PM   #1

Dead Battery

Interesting new problem.

Went out to the RV today and I heard a clicking sound before I opened the door. When I opened the door the steps came out very slowly, laboring to extend, and when open the LED step lights were flashing to match the clicking sound. The coach battery was stone dead, I didn't check the cab battery since I wasn't going to move it anyway. During this time of year I use it as a hunting cabin with an external generator. So I fired up the generator and everything seemed to work as expected except the clicking sound remained and the LED inside step lights continued to flash. The only way I got it to stop was to turn the step switch off and then when I opened the door I had to help the steps down where they stayed of course because the switch was off. I turned the battery transfer switch on and the coach battery charged from the external generator but the steps never started to work correctly. Even when I left I had to leave them extended with the switch off so the clicking would stop.

Anyone else ever had this problem?
bob393 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2020, 03:07 PM   #2

Unless they've changed things the steps work of the chassis battery not the coach. If the coach was dead the geny wouldn't have started.
Old 11-22-2020, 03:07 PM   #3
Site Team

We don't have electric steps, and I'm not an expert on them, but it sounds like a latching relay that controls them has "clicked" itself to death, not knowing how long that was going on. Perhaps the dead battery comes into play, also. Just a long distance guess. Perhaps someone else that has a working knowledge of them will step in for you.

2012 Jay Flight 19RD
2016 Ford F150 XLT 2X4 SC 3.5L Eco Max Tow
2010 Tundra TRD DBL Cab (Traded)
2 new fluffy Corgis, Bayley and Stanley
JFlightRisk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2020, 03:29 PM   #4

you're correct. I thought that my steps had gone out again recently until I discovered that my chassis battery was also dead. As soon as I boosted it, the steps worked.
Daniel3359 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2020, 05:08 PM   #5

You know after all my description your right the steps do run off the chassis battery.

When I changed out the coach battery for a new one a while ago the steps still worked.

My next time out I'll bet the chassis battery is stone dead. And it is my understanding that the chassis battery doesn't charge off the coach system until the coach battery is fully charged so it sounds like I need a smart charger to hook up to the chassis battery so it will get topped off when I run the generator, either onboard, outboard or shore power for that matter.

Or my favorite idea, just can't afford it right now, a solar charging system and more batteries.
Old 11-22-2020, 05:47 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob393 View Post

Or my favorite idea, just can't afford it right now, a solar charging system and more batteries.
You csn get a fairly cheap solar trickle charger. We used one on the FW. Search Amazon.
Grumpy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2020, 06:51 PM   #7

I have seen those, I wasn't sure if they really worked.
Old 11-22-2020, 06:53 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob393 View Post
I have seen those, I wasn't sure if they really worked.
Kept the 2 batteries charged for me.
Old 11-22-2020, 07:02 PM   #9

How many watt do you use?
Old 11-22-2020, 07:11 PM   #10

I had a COLEMAN 18 watt. Saw where AMAZON has a 20 for $50.
Old 11-22-2020, 07:54 PM   #11

I was just looking at that one.

POWISER 20W 12V Solar Panel Car Battery Charger

It's a smart charger too so I think it might act as a battery maintainer.

I think i'll get it, Thanks for the idea and help.
Old 11-27-2020, 06:29 AM   #12

Well you called it.

The cab battery was dead. I jumped it with the truck and with the engine running the steps worked as they should. While I was there I used a stand alone battery charger hooked up to the external generator to give the battery a full charge, well abort 90% anyway.

The solar charger arrived and I hard wired the pig tail into the battery and pugged it in. A surprisingly nice solar charger for the money. The blue LED came on and it was a very overcast day, no sun at all. When hooked up the red LED came on showing a charging state. Very impressive.

So we shall see but I think this system is a winner.

I may even mount the solar panel on the coach roof just so it's always ready to go but who knows the are so many options for use that the suction cups and cigarette lighter plug might just win for a sunny location.

Thank you Grumpy.