Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 07-23-2022, 06:17 PM   #1

Dead house and vehicle batteries but no power when plugged into shore power help!

I have a 2018 Jayco Melbourne 24k and I have a confirmed dead house battery and vehicle battery that need to replace. Neither will hold a charge. I plugged the unit into shore power and verified its working and the main power switch light is on but nothing else. No lights come on the microwave doesn’t have power nothing. HELP!! I’m going to replace the batteries soon but why wouldn’t it work while plugged in?
Tony4qts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2022, 06:55 PM   #2

You are not getting the 120 volts into the rig. The quick giveaway is the microwave not lighting up. This means your converter, which charges your house battery, is not working. A dead battery will be the result. The vehicle battery is not part of the converter's charge system so should be treated separately.

If you have verified power at the outlet you are plugged into, the first check would be to cycle the main breaker(s) inside the rig (30 amp or 50 amp). If this doesn't help, the best place to measure the 120 volts coming in would be in the transfer switch.

Before doing any measurements I would unplug the rig and remove the transfer switch cover. Look for any burnt wires or connections and make sure all connections are TIGHT. This procedure is safe to do as long as you aren't plugged in or have the generator running.

If no obvious problems are found, the next step is to measure voltage inside the transfer switch. If you are uncomfortable measuring these potentially lethal voltages, see if a friend can help. Don't just start poking around with a voltmeter unless you are comfortable doing so and do it safely.

If you have 50 amp service there will be 240 volts inside the switch which could ruin your day if you touched the wrong part. Anyway, you should have either a single 120 volt input for 30 amp or 2 separate 120 volt feeds for 50 amp. What comes in must go out. The transfer switch will select either shore power or generator power and feed it to the output. If it comes in but does not go out, the switch which is a big relay may be bad. If you don't measure anything coming in then there could be a problem with the power cord or outlet you are plugged into.
Attached Thumbnails
Voltmeter.JPG  

Jim

Retired electronic technician (45 years in the field)
2017 Greyhawk 29W (solar & many other mods)
wife (maybe I should have given her top billing)
JimD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2022, 05:29 PM   #3

Transfer switch location?

Where is the transfer switch located?
mcadeb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2022, 06:52 AM   #4

In a 2016 24K the transfer switch is under the bed.

Unless this has already been addressed the starter battery will discharge when the coach is being stored even if you are plugged into shore power. Mine will completely discharge in less than 2 weeks. There are other threads that address this but in short you will need a separate charger to charge the starter battery in storage as well.
2016 Ford Focus set up to flat tow
Pfflyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2022, 10:20 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimD View Post
Before doing any measurements I would unplug the rig and remove the transfer switch cover. Look for any burnt wires or connections and make sure all connections are TIGHT. This procedure is safe to do as long as you aren't plugged in or have the generator running.

This!!!!!!!

This is what happened to me, only I was "fortunate" enough to be close by and smell the burning wire insulation.

Tags
dead batteries, no power