Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 04-29-2020, 07:11 AM   #1

Decided to only use water pump at campgrounds

After reading horror stories of flooded campers while hooked up to campground water and also of too high pressures Etc, have decided to only use our onboard water tank and water pump.

What we do is fill up our fresh tank and use it for our daily needs, including showers. When the tank starts to get low, we just use park water to refill the tank only.

We keep the water pump off until needed and shut it off when done.

The benefits:

Don't need to worry about flooding when we leave our unit or when sleeping.
Don't need to worry about burst pipes from too high or constant pressure.

Sounds like the ideal situation to limit possible water damage to unit and plumbing.
bobm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2020, 07:29 AM   #2

Those are good points, I choose to use city water and remember to turn it off when leaving camp. To me it is just as easy to remember this as it is to remember to turn the water pump off. To each his own. Doesn't happen often because I usually dry camp in the boondocks. Just sayin.
Old 04-29-2020, 07:31 AM   #3

Tank Water: That is what we do too!

Other benefits are with Tankless Water Heaters - we get a consistent shower temperature.

In cold weather, we don't need to worry about the supply hose freezing, it gets drained after each tank fill.

Easy to turn off - we have a water pump switch in multiple places to turn the water on when needed.
07 Toyota FJC & Yamaha Kodiak 400 ATV

SloPoke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2020, 07:42 AM   #4

I never considered using my onboard tank if I had access to water. I do use a Watts pressure regulator and I do turn off the water at the pedestal when I leave. Interesting concept though.

On the sidelines taking it all in.

Jopopsy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2020, 07:47 AM   #5

I use a Valterra Water Regulator with guage. If the parks water pressure is too low, I fill the tank and use the pump when taking showers. With an on demand water heater, constant good pressure is required. Other than showers, we use the parks water.
Blue Ox Baseplate w/Aventa LX Tow Bar & KarGard II Deflector
Blue Ox Patriot Brake
tom463219 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2020, 08:13 AM   #6

I'm the opposite.. I've never put water in the tank of my 2016.. We have used the city hookup at my seasonal site since day one. We shut the water off when leaving the site. We turn off the ice maker also when leaving for long periods. We also use a pressure regulator.. The only time I've used the water pump is for winterizing.
Old 04-29-2020, 08:29 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobm View Post
After reading horror stories of flooded campers while hooked up to campground water and also of too high pressures Etc, have decided to only use our onboard water tank and water pump.

What we do is fill up our fresh tank and use it for our daily needs, including showers. When the tank starts to get low, we just use park water to refill the tank only.

The benefits:

Sounds like the ideal situation to limit possible water damage to unit and plumbing.

The one thing nice about leaving the pump on while you are around, it will cycle if you have a small leak. This tells you need to do some maintenance. If the pump is always off, when not in use, you will not catch the small leak(s), and can do a lot of damage, before you find it.

We almost never have hookups. I turn the pump off when we leave for the day, but leave it on when we are around. If it cycles more than once unexpectedly, I question why!

2012 Jayco X23B
2020 Ram Laramie 3500 SRW Air ride 50Gal fuel tank.
2007 Dodge Dakota Quad Cab (sold)
Equal-I-zer 4-Point Sway Control
Jagiven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2020, 08:30 AM   #8

The only advantages that I can readily see to using the water pump in a campground is if you don’t have a good water pressure regulator and when showering, if one has a on demand water heater. On the other hand, when showering with an on demand water heater, keeping only the hot water valve turned on, and not the cold water valve works best. All that needs to be done is to set the temperature on the water heater to the temperature that is most comfortable for showering and simply go for it. By keeping the water flowing through the water heater, a constant temperature is maintained thus eliminating the need to wait for it to heat the water between the heater and the shower head every time it is turned off and on again while in use. If in a camp ground and hooked up to the sewer line, the grey tank is not affected by letting the water run while showering (just like home). Personally, I use a good adjustable water pressure regulator, use the campground water hook up and simply turn it off at the source when I leave the coach. Each to his or her own, I guess. Whatever you feel more comfortable doing.
gprapim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2020, 09:47 AM   #9

I fill my fresh water tank during part of my setup routine but we don't use it unless the park water goes down which has happened on occasion. I have an adjustable regulator that I use anytime we hook up to a water supply and I never leave my camper for an extended period of time without just shutting the supply off.

2022 33RBTS
Progressive Industries EMS - Hardwired
Equalizer 4 Point WDH
2021 Ford F350 7.3
Air Lift Rear Bags w/ On Board Compressor (Pending)
2016 28BHBE - (Traded and Missed already)
Marcm157 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2020, 11:15 AM   #10

Never have heard of trailers flooding. You are doing way over kill, relax and use your city water.

The only thing I've ever seen are hoses split or tanks overfilling because someone forgot to turn the water off.

Like stated above, the only time I'd use the water pump is when the campground doesn't have good pressure. And, as for pressure worry, get a regualtor at walmart for $10.

What you are doing is very unusual.
mboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2020, 11:41 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by mazboy View Post
Never have heard of trailers flooding. You are doing way over kill, relax and use your city water.
Our friends have a $250,000 dollar Class A. They left it at the campground in Williams, AZ, and spent all day at the Grand Canyon. When they returned and opened the door they were greeted by a flood of water. The water line to their washer had failed, causing thousands of dollars damage.

We have always had a rule that when we lock the doors when leaving, the water is turned off, be it the water pump or faucet. Guess that’s “unusual” , but I hate dealing with insurance claims...

Route 66 Traveler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2020, 11:55 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobm View Post

The benefits:

Sounds like a fair amount of extra work, but if it gives you piece of mind, that’s great. You know, you could have the same burst pipe/flooding catastrophe occur at your home while you are away. A lot more pipes and stronger pressure. Toilet and sink valves, washer hoses, pex and copper lines can all leak or burst. That’s why we turn off the water at home before a long trip. And we do the same at the campsite whenever we leave.
😁 "If a man says he’ll fix something, he will. There’s no need to remind him every 6 months.
LuckyDuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2020, 12:19 PM   #13

[QUOTE=LuckyDuck;850822]You know, you could have the same burst pipe/flooding catastrophe occur at your home while you are away. A lot more pipes and stronger pressure. /QUOTE]

Having had a water heater burst while we were away, we ALWAYS turn the water off when leaving the house for an extended period of time. Luckily the heater was in the garage and did no damage.

Route 66 Traveler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2020, 04:21 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by LuckyDuck View Post
Sounds like a fair amount of extra work, but if it gives you piece of mind, that’s great. You know, you could have the same burst pipe/flooding catastrophe occur at your home while you are away. A lot more pipes and stronger pressure. Toilet and sink valves, washer hoses, pex and copper lines can all leak or burst. That’s why we turn off the water at home before a long trip. And we do the same at the campsite whenever we leave.
It's actually less work for me. When we go out and leave the Seneca for a while, while grabbing my keys and sunglasses - I turn the pump switch off. When we get back, I hang my keys and sunglasses up and turn the pump ON.

When we are in a RV park, we dump the Black tank once a week (on Friday) and I don't have to plan ahead to have a full tank of Grey Water ready, it is already there to follow the black. If we are staying in the park for a while, then we can go 2-3-days on 50-gal of water, and I dump the grey each time I fill the FW tank. Our cadence falls into a simple routine of fill/flush, and we cant overfill the grey this way - If someone forgets
07 Toyota FJC & Yamaha Kodiak 400 ATV

SloPoke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2020, 04:43 PM   #15

40 plus years and never turned off the water and only used the pump when we were in a State Park without water hook-ups. Always had a regulator at the spigot and never had an issue. As to the horror stories, you will find those for stick and brick houses as well.

Personally, I know of no one who had a line bust or flood while they were gone and we belonged to numerous clubs.
Old 04-29-2020, 05:37 PM   #16
MD3

Quote:
Originally Posted by SloPoke View Post
Tank Water: That is what we do too!

Easy to turn off - we have a water pump switch in multiple places to turn the water on when needed.
I'd like to wire up a pump switch in the bathroom and at the kitchen sink.
I need to put that on my to-do list.

_
2005 LJ Rubicon - Sahara #90
2019 Can Am X3 XRS Max
2009 ATC enclosed trailer
MD3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2020, 05:52 PM   #17

Staying at a campground we woke up and went outside. Early in the morning all the neighbors were asking if we had any water.

I replied “yes, but I use my pump”. Turns out the town had a water main break and there was no water for most of the day. I never knew the difference...

So at least fill your water tank some for this very possibility! I like using my pump. I’m on the unusual side. I also kill all water supply when leaving.
Old 04-29-2020, 06:11 PM   #18
CAG

What ever floats your boat A personal preference for each. Boxers or Briefs?

CAG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2020, 06:32 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by SloPoke View Post
It's actually less work for me. When we go out and leave the Seneca for a while, while grabbing my keys and sunglasses - I turn the pump switch off. When we get back, I hang my keys and sunglasses up and turn the pump ON.

When we are in a RV park, we dump the Black tank once a week (on Friday) and I don't have to plan ahead to have a full tank of Grey Water ready, it is already there to follow the black. If we are staying in the park for a while, then we can go 2-3-days on 50-gal of water, and I dump the grey each time I fill the FW tank. Our cadence falls into a simple routine of fill/flush, and we cant overfill the grey this way - If someone forgets
Guess I’m missing something here. Unless you have identical water use everyday, you still need to monitor a tank gauge. Maybe not the gray, but definitely the FW to know how low you are getting. I check my black after a few days, too. It never fills exactly the same every trip. Takes just a second. Whether city-feed or pump, there is still pressure on your lines and potential for a rupture, but to each his own!
😁 "If a man says he’ll fix something, he will. There’s no need to remind him every 6 months.
LuckyDuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2020, 06:54 PM   #20

Just leave your water turned on ,,,mine allways gets turned off for peace of mind.
Florida Ranger is offline   Reply With Quote