Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 05-09-2015, 10:37 PM   #1

DEF Questions

I just purchased a 2014 Seneca. What can I expect with relation to regeneration. Do I just keep the DEF tank full and let the system do the work? I am not at all familiar with the DEF emission system. I have had other diesels but none requiring DEF.

richard66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2015, 10:50 PM   #2

Def. ( Diesal exhaust fluid or urea ) allows Diesel fuel to combust with less oxygen ( think lean mixture in a carburetor ) thereby reducing the NOx2 produced during combustion .

The Urea is introduced to the fuel prior to injection. It's held in a separate tank

Unlike the original regeneration process, where the DPF was essentially filled very quickly and needed to be managed frequently, new emission systems require less regeneration cycles due do the reduced NOx2 being produced because of the Urea.

Your truck still goes through a regen process, just less frequently, and shorter durations.
You must keep DEF in the tank, or the computer on your truck will shut down the truck and put you into " limp home mode"

Urea has been used in mining equipment for many years as an effective way to reduce harmful exhaust

2014 Eagle 30.5 RLS
2015 Dodge 3500HD SRW 6.7L
Click on my profile for Mods and notes
Jmooney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2015, 08:05 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jmooney View Post
Def. ( Diesal exhaust fluid or urea ) allows Diesel fuel to combust with less oxygen ( think lean mixture in a carburetor ) thereby reducing the NOx2 produced during combustion .

The Urea is introduced to the fuel prior to injection. It's held in a separate tank

Unlike the original regeneration process, where the DPF was essentially filled very quickly and needed to be managed frequently, new emission systems require less regeneration cycles due do the reduced NOx2 being produced because of the Urea.

Your truck still goes through a regen process, just less frequently, and shorter durations.
You must keep DEF in the tank, or the computer on your truck will shut down the truck and put you into " limp home mode"

Urea has been used in mining equipment for many years as an effective way to reduce harmful exhaust

It is my understanding that DEF is introduced into the exhaust emissions not as a fuel additive.

"SCR works by first routing exhaust gases through an oxidation catalyst, which removes hydrocarbons and converts a small amount of NOx to NO2. The next step requires an injection of an aqueous urea solution, DEF, into the exhaust stream at a precise dosing rate. Exhaust fluid is converted into ammonia, which reacts with the remaining NOx in the SCR catalyst to produce harmless nitrogen and water. A final catalyst is sometimes installed downstream of the SCR catalyst, which is designed to remove any remaining ammonia from the vehicle’s exhaust."

This was an explanation from DieselPowerMag.com
Old 05-10-2015, 08:42 AM   #4

thanks for the clarification..... You are right.

I knew that the original DPFs simply allowed Diseal fuel into the exhaust stroke, but I thought that the Urea was delivered pre combustion stroke.

My 2007.5 ram used this method

I'll go back and re-read that original article

2014 Eagle 30.5 RLS
Old 05-10-2015, 10:21 AM   #5

If you know, is the process still " selective" where DEF is only introduced during the regen process? Or is selective now only related to the high heat portion of the process?

I always thought that In the original cummins process, step 1 was generally always active ( EGR ), Then during regen, step 2 was adding fuel to the exhaust stroke and step 3 was high heat?

2014 Eagle 30.5 RLS
Old 05-10-2015, 11:01 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by richard66 View Post
I just purchased a 2014 Seneca. What can I expect with relation to regeneration. Do I just keep the DEF tank full and let the system do the work? I am not at all familiar with the DEF emission system. I have had other diesels but none requiring DEF.
I appreciate the knowledge held by the two posters providing information as to how and why the DEF works, but

to answer the OP's question, Yes... Just keep the DEF tank full, and let the system do the work!

As long as you keep DEF tank filled, the rest of the process is passive...

2011 Dodge Ram 2500 Cummins
2012 Starcraft Autumn Ridge 297 BHS
Flyrotor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2015, 11:53 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flyrotor View Post
I appreciate the knowledge held by the two posters providing information as to how and why the DEF works, but

to answer the OP's question, Yes... Just keep the DEF tank full, and let the system do the work!

As long as you keep DEF tank filled, the rest of the process is passive...
^. ^

Yes hopefully this is true.

If you don't do a lot of highway driving ( 30-4O miles at a time ) you could find the DPF regen process not being successful. Your system will warn you, and if it does, take it for a nice long highway drive.

Sorry about being long winded

2014 Eagle 30.5 RLS
Old 05-10-2015, 12:05 PM   #8

In talking with a service tech at Freightliner, he reccommended against using the DEF pumps commoningly found at truck stops. He has been seeing trucks come in for service with contamination/water from residue and condensation in the tanks. His suggestion is to carry DEF in the sealed containers found in auto parts stores.
Old 05-10-2015, 12:28 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jmooney View Post
If you know, is the process still " selective" where DEF is only introduced during the regen process? Or is selective now only related to the high heat portion of the process?

I always thought that In the original cummins process, step 1 was generally always active ( EGR ), Then during regen, step 2 was adding fuel to the exhaust stroke and step 3 was high heat?

It is my understanding that the Cummins is selective. But not in the way I think you are asking. The pump on mine runs constantly, I can hear it ticking all the time. But depending on engine load and other parameters it runs at a higher rate or lower rate. So in one sense it is not selective but the SCR system determines the quantity and volume required.

Yes regen will happen at the most inopportune times with trucks used as daily drivers. A 45 minute highway drive once a week will keep the regen away.

I would never use the DEF at the pumps. I prefer a sealed container.
Old 05-10-2015, 12:39 PM   #10

DEF has a shelf life. Higher temperatures are not recommended for storage as it reduces shelf life (the DEF tank likely lives inside an engine bay). Given an infrequently used RV, it may be best to let the DEF tank level go down to the dash alert before refilling. To do otherwise will let the DEF in the tank get old rather than to be used and replenished with new. Another issue is that to constantly top off will mean not only the DEF in the tank will age, but also your refill stock will age along with it.

DEF is readily available now so there is little reason to keep it on hand to age. Some DEF containers come with a handy spill proof spout. I recommend using the spill proof containers because DEF is very corrosive. It is especially bad around copper and brass electrical components. Should you spill any DEF always flush immediately with copious amounts of water.

http://www.dynonobel.com/~/media/Fil...20Solution.pdf

FWIW. vic

VicS1950 is offline   Reply With Quote