Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 12-22-2018, 03:01 PM   #21

X2
Curt Bros. 20K Slider Hitch
2013 Jayco Eagle 31.5 RLTS 5th Wheel
Rhumphers9a is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2018, 03:58 PM   #22

Def

We have a 3500 truck and we use a designated pitcher and an electric pump at home. Works great and no spillage.
jrwldr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2018, 04:04 PM   #23

Corrosive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rhumphers9a View Post
Truck stops have large fuel filter but a small DEF to fit in TV, just beside too keep it to one side to allow it to vent & don't pump it to quickly or you'll have it run down your truck!!!
From what I understand it’s corrosive to paints and metals.
Old 12-22-2018, 04:13 PM   #24

FYI, my Home Depot sells Blue Def same price as Sam's.

Plus I get a 10% veterans discount.
Wireman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2018, 05:32 PM   #25

The first time I added DEF to my truck, I used the filler that came with the box. What a mess! Have since gotten the Motorcraft filler. I found out the spilled DEF will kill the heck out of the grass and other tough weeds. Might be cheaper than Roundup.

Charlie & Lizzie the Mini Dachshunds
2008 Jayco Eagle Super Lite 30.5 RLS
2015 F350 Lariet Crew Cab Long Bed 6.7 Diesel B&W Companion Hitch
24 hours in a day, 24 beers in a case. Coincidence? I think not.
Witt74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2018, 06:26 PM   #26

Old DEF

While travelling through northern Oregon, I picked up some off brand DEF at a remote convenience store. Shortly after pouring it in, I got a CEL and a dash message stating that the DEF need service and that I would be restricted to 5 mph after 135 miles. After much googling, I purchased some Peak and topped it off. Message and CEL went away next day. Lesson learned.

2021 Coachmen Freelander 29KB
2019 Jeep Wrangler Sahara
NSA Ready Brute Elite II tow bar
Springhook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2018, 09:04 PM   #27

The reason the DEF pump is inside/under a flap is to keep the nozzle clean(ish) and also because DEF can and will freeze. That is why the DEF tank is heated.

IMHO I'm not sure I would refill DEF jugs. I don't know if the DEF left in the jug when "emptied" will dry out into the crystalized mess and then contaminate the freshly filled DEF. Just my opinion.
Old 12-22-2018, 10:23 PM   #28

Truck Pump DEF

I use the truck pump DEF for my Seneca and my Ram. No issues with it in either. I started out with a Jug from Walmart. Wasted effort as the truck fill systems work fine in both my vehicles.
Purdue 1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2018, 09:38 AM   #29

Def

I also use the wally world def in my Cummins but have used the pump def at truck stops. I carry an empty store bought def container so can fill from the pumps and use the supplied spout to fill my onboard def tank. This method allows me to carry def and fill when needed and not worry about being close to a supplier.
Waterdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2018, 10:03 AM   #30

Quote:
Originally Posted by Purdue 1 View Post
I use the truck pump DEF for my Seneca and my Ram. No issues with it in either. I started out with a Jug from Walmart. Wasted effort as the truck fill systems work fine in both my vehicles.
X2. Much cheaper price at the pump and I also bought a DEF specific refill jug online. You also can buy a spout that has fine micron filter to keep any crystallization out of your DEF tank. It is NOT recommended to reuse disposable DEF containers.
Gunfighter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2018, 10:34 AM   #31

DEF Fluid

I did a lot of research and decided to use the Walmart brand Super Tech in my Jeep Gran Cherokee Limited Eco Diesel. No Problems, but not a long track record yet.
The one thing you want to watch out for is to unscrew the caps in the store and check to see that the seal under the cap is still sealed. Apparently some jerks will buy the DEF, use it and then refill the jug with whatever, then return it for a refund and Walmart will then put it back on the shelf without checking it. This could be the same case for the Peak brand. If you find any on the shelf with the seal broken or gone please notify Walmart employees and then they may start checking returns.
Old 12-23-2018, 03:16 PM   #32

This is slightly off topic and probably a stupid question... but the first time I stopped at a Pilot truck stop, and before I realized that they had a separate pump for RVs, I tried to fill up right next to an 18 wheeler. Before I could even start to pump diesel fuel the pump was asking me for information that I thought would only pertain to a commercial vehicle. Are all truck stops like that? Since that experience I've been afraid to stop at any.
jlawley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2018, 03:39 PM   #33

Quote:
Originally Posted by jlawley View Post
This is slightly off topic and probably a stupid question... but the first time I stopped at a Pilot truck stop, and before I realized that they had a separate pump for RVs, I tried to fill up right next to an 18 wheeler. Before I could even start to pump diesel fuel the pump was asking me for information that I thought would only pertain to a commercial vehicle. Are all truck stops like that? Since that experience I've been afraid to stop at any.
Certainly not a stupid question. The pumps at many "truck stops" such as Pilot or Love's will typically ask if you are filling the tractor, reefer, DEF, or combinations thereof. The responses will affect the sequences of the pumping since most semis with a refrigerator unit have to move their rig to fill the reefer tank. So if all you need is diesel you just need to select "tractor".
Toads: 2019 Ford Edge ST or 2013 Ford Focus ST
Robbbyr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2018, 05:15 PM   #34

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robbbyr View Post
Certainly not a stupid question. The pumps at many "truck stops" such as Pilot or Love's will typically ask if you are filling the tractor, reefer, DEF, or combinations thereof. The responses will affect the sequences of the pumping since most semis with a refrigerator unit have to move their rig to fill the reefer tank. So if all you need is diesel you just need to select "tractor".
Refer fuel is also taxed differently, so it shouldn't be selected for use as truck fuel. The other thing you'll find at pilot and flying j is that the pumps won't start without a unit number. I simply enter 01 as my unit number and move on.

Camping nights: 2019 - Too many to count, 2020 - 3
BeachRetreat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2018, 06:53 PM   #35

Thank you for the explanations. Any of those questions (tractor, refer, DEF, or unit number) would have been enough to confuse me. Now I'll know better how to react. Thanks again.
jlawley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2018, 08:40 PM   #36

When I purchased my 2015 duramax the dealership said that they have had issues with people using off-brand DEF. He said no mater whether I bought my DEF from them or not, just use the AC Delco DEF. For a nominal increased cost I have just done that for piece of mind. I would hate to have issues on a trip just because I was trying to save a buck or two.
flintsters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2018, 08:26 AM   #37

Quote:
Originally Posted by flintsters View Post
When I purchased my 2015 duramax the dealership said that they have had issues with people using off-brand DEF. He said no mater whether I bought my DEF from them or not, just use the AC Delco DEF. For a nominal increased cost I have just done that for piece of mind. I would hate to have issues on a trip just because I was trying to save a buck or two.
Smart man. If I had a brand new $60,000 Diesel pick up I would want the very best and freshest DEF I could find.
RetiredLEO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2018, 09:29 AM   #38

Quote:
Originally Posted by flintsters View Post
The same logic applies to oil, oil filters and fuel filters too. I typically believe in OEM products for a little more money because they have a lot more skin in the game. Unfortunately, GM doesn't sell fuel, and isn't every place I need DEF when traveling. So, consumables come from high quality vendors who also have a lot of skin in the game. Name brand truck stops won't last long if they get a bad reputation for poor fuel and DEF quality. The large OTR fleets who drive that industry will go elsewhere.

Camping nights: 2019 - Too many to count, 2020 - 3
BeachRetreat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2018, 10:42 AM   #39

One other thought is that heat and sun will degrade the ammonia DEF solution so keep the plastic container covered if it is stored in the truck bed behind the slider hitch as I do, and make sure you purchase fresh solution. Catalytic converter repair is very expensive in comparison to a gallon or two of questionable DEF fluid.
gmast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2018, 02:05 PM   #40

you can buy an adapter which will solve your problem of the larger pump nozzle. Amazon has one

ARMYG is offline   Reply With Quote