Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 08-19-2015, 03:17 AM   #1

Delay on Parts

Wondering what your experience is on the turn around time for parts ordered from Jayco by the dealer.

I ask because my replacement kitchen counter has been "On Order" for 6 weeks now. The counter in the Greyhawk is Fiberglass. My first job 30 years ago was working in a fiberglass factory so I know how quickly the part could be produced if required. But I find it hard to imagine that they do not have at least some spare inventory on hand. The unit is a 2015 so I think the colour scheme is still current.

Griswald One - Life is a Misadventure!
2015 Greyhawk 29ME / Chevy Sonic
Griswald One is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2015, 06:05 AM   #2

I was warned by the dealer's service department that 2 weeks was 'normal' for getting Jayco parts.

I would expect that most of these RV's are built using one-off techniques. Each part is built for a particular unit.

When a parts request comes in, your part will be made when the tooling for that type of item has been set up.

Just-in-time manufacturing is wonderful for the bottom line of the several companies in the supply chain. But it really sux when there is no parts inventory for warrantee repairs or even replacements for normal wear-and-tear.

Sitting in The Cheap Seats.
And proud of it!
mike837go is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2015, 06:09 AM   #3

I have been waiting over 7 weeks for a new mattress and bumper mount for the spare tire. My salesman said it will take a long time for Jayco to deliver parts during the summer, I am glad its not something that is keeping me from camping.
Sundancer330 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2015, 06:09 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike837go View Post
I was warned by the dealer's service department that 2 weeks was 'normal' for getting Jayco parts.

I would expect that most of these RV's are built using one-off techniques. Each part is built for a particular unit.

When a parts request comes in, your part will be made when the tooling for that type of item has been set up.

Just-in-time manufacturing is wonderful for the bottom line of the several companies in the supply chain. But it really sux when there is no parts inventory for warrantee repairs or even replacements for normal wear-and-tear.
You have it nailed to a "T". They even discuss that when you take the tour, because sometimes they are "1" short(damage or other reasons) and that unit sits until the part comes in.
Old 08-19-2015, 06:42 AM   #5

That's my big complaint about Jayco. When we bought our brand new 2015 24BFS, there was some minor repairs to be done in which one included a part to be ordered. Okay, I expected that. But it took 2 months to get a piece of trim tape. That is not okay with me. Now, I've been waiting since April for some hail damage repair on the exterior skin. It just came in last week. Now I have to wait a couple more weeks for the repair shop. In the mean time, I've been relying on Gorilla Tape to cover the hole in my skylight. Needless to say, I'm not a happy camper right now.
Poppy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2015, 06:43 AM   #6

In the early 1990's I got involved with my dad repairing Roll Royce and Jaguar cars. You needed the VIN when ordering parts because engineering changes were put on the line as soon as practical. So the same model car built a day apart could have non-interchangeable parts.

Jayco (and many other manufacturers) have chosen to keep zero inventory to save money on the interest of financing all that stuff that may eventually be used.

Those savings do translate into a lower purchase price. But at the cost of long-term maintenance. RV's are not small appliances that can be sent for reclamation when they break.

How can a manufacturer generate enough spare parts to cover it's fleet over its service life, without having to dump a shipload of NOS?

Maybe a division at the factory that has a 'prototyping shop' that has access to all the plans, molds and dies for every unit ever built. When an order for a part comes in, if it is not currently in production, the order is redirected to the prototyping shop and created using the factory tools.

Sitting in The Cheap Seats.
And proud of it!
mike837go is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2015, 08:15 AM   #7

Took my 27DSRL back to dealer for the axle issue (rear tires wearing uneven) and some minor issues which dealer quickly took care off. One issue was the outdoor speakers which I was told will take a minimum of 3 weeks to get replacement parts from Jayco. 3 weeks? Really? I know they are not making the speakers there unless they have a plant in China which is what was stamped on the OEM speakers when I looked. Dealer and Dexter Axles are working out the axle issue...... I will be pulling her home today and do the speakers myself.
Pmp1086 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2015, 02:55 PM   #8

Thanks for the input. It does not resolve my frustration. But it does at least tell me that my dealer is not playing me, which was quickly becoming my concern.

Old 08-19-2015, 03:07 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Griswald One View Post
Thanks for the input. It does not resolve my frustration. But it does at least tell me that my dealer is not playing me, which was quickly becoming my concern.
To help re-affirm the fact, the Factory Service Center, right next door to the factory has to "order" parts for any units it has scheduled to be brought in. They can't just go get them when the unit arrives.
Old 08-19-2015, 03:27 PM   #10

I hear the likes of Grumpy talk about the factory... It has me itching to go for the tour. Not sure that will ever be a destination for me. But I wouldn't mind making it a stop along the way.

Old 08-19-2015, 03:35 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Griswald One View Post
But I wouldn't mind making it a stop along the way.
Remember to call for reservations, there are only 22 seats on the bus from the Visitor's Center to the plant. No seat, no tour.
Old 08-19-2015, 06:37 PM   #12

We are at 6 weeks and waiting for a door seal and a counter top piece.
I have been told all of the items are from 3 party manufacturers so Thay have to be approved, then Jayco orders them and then when they get them they ship to the dealer.
On my visit this week (first return) no parts had arrived yet and more are on order. I am very unhappy with this, it will basically be 4 months before my first issues are fixed.
Chrislorl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2015, 08:11 PM   #13

Our Greyhawk needed a replacement kitchen faucet which took three months to come in. It was in a shipping container from China when we inquired as to the delay.

2014 Greyhawk 31FK
2007 Honda Shadow Sabre 1100cc
NC Roamer is offline   Reply With Quote