Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 04-10-2020, 01:47 PM   #1

Designer 3230's out there?

(Other than mine.) So far I've only found one and for some reason I can't find my way back to it. The name was Steverino (?) and the post was 2012. I'll have to check with admin to find out what I'm doing wrong searching but in the mean time, are there any others. I'd like to compare notes and be advised.

Thanks in advance!
Mahatnmacoat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2020, 02:54 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mahatnmacoat View Post
(Other than mine.) So far I've only found one and for some reason I can't find my way back to it. The name was Steverino (?) and the post was 2012. I'll have to check with admin to find out what I'm doing wrong searching but in the mean time, are there any others. I'd like to compare notes and be advised.

Thanks in advance!
Had a 2001 .. Traded for a SENECA in 08 because DW said she wanted it...
Old 04-10-2020, 03:55 PM   #3

Thanks Grumpy. How d' you like your 3230? Hmmmmm, well you must have liked it, you bought an even better one. Any advice or insights? A couple of questions if I may. I meant to put these and other questions in my original post but I found a lot of answers just perusing the forum.

Does driving with a full tank of water affect mileage? I would think it would but your advice please.
Does towing a toad, (four down) affect milage?
My toad is going to be something very light, I'm thinking old VW bug light.
The toad will be at or under two thousand pounds. Do you know if that weight requires an auxiliary brake in all, most or some states.
Feeds Four
Sleeps Two
Old 04-10-2020, 04:33 PM   #4

Quote:
Thanks Grumpy. How d' you like your 3230? Hmmmmm, well you must have liked it, you bought an even better one. Any advice or insights? A couple of questions if I may. I meant to put these and other questions in my original post but I found a lot of answers just perusing the forum.

Does driving with a full tank of water affect mileage? I would think it would but your advice please.
Does towing a toad, (four down) affect milage?
My toad is going to be something very light, I'm thinking old VW bug light.
The toad will be at or under two thousand pounds. Do you know if that weight requires an auxiliary brake in all, most or some states.
i got 7.5 +/- no matter what I did and I had over 50,000 miles on it when we traded. We had a CHEVY S-10 and then a GMC COLORADO and it didn't result in a change with the overall average. Mileage is a result of the frontal area (wind resistance) and speed more than anything. I would never tow without the aux brake, required or not even with the SENECA, but that's just me.

Enjoy
Old 04-10-2020, 05:04 PM   #5

Grumpy, do mind saying more about the auxiliary brake.

With decades of experience watching fuel to engine speed curves I'm acutely concious of the difference a few RPMs make. Cut your speed by twenty percent and increase your range by forty percent*. I'm a 55 mph type of guy. In your 3230 at 7.5 mpg can you comment on your general speeds?

*Over the years I built many, many How goes it? charts. Speed, fuel, range graphs.
Feeds Four
Sleeps Two
Old 04-10-2020, 05:11 PM   #6
Site Team

Quote:

Thanks in advance!
The member Steverino's first post was in 2012. This is it, for you.

https://www.jaycoowners.com/forums/f...ter-10103.html

2012 Jay Flight 19RD
2016 Ford F150 XLT 2X4 SC 3.5L Eco Max Tow
2010 Tundra TRD DBL Cab (Traded)
2 new fluffy Corgis, Bayley and Stanley
JFlightRisk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2020, 05:23 PM   #7

Thanks! No más for Steveinro?
Feeds Four
Sleeps Two
Old 04-10-2020, 05:29 PM   #8

Quote:
Grumpy, do mind saying more about the auxiliary brake. I'm a 55 mph type of guy. In your 3230 at 7.5 mpg can you comment on your general speeds?

*Over the years I built many, many How goes it? charts. Speed, fuel, range graphs.
The aux brake is the same as elec/surge brakes on any trailer and since many states require them on anything over 2,000 lb it was a no brainer in my opinion. It was more for those "panic stops" than routine stops, but it came on most of the time. I had the remote alert in the cab.

My go to speed was 62 to 65 even when towing a TT or FW and I used my cruise whenever possible. I had a spread sheet set up that tracked mpg, cost per mile etc and as I said the average mpg was consistant. My kids always thought it was funny that at every stop I wrote down the gals, cost and mileage.
Old 04-10-2020, 05:37 PM   #9

Ha! I do that and my girlfriend thinks I'm compulsive. Well, not all compulsions are bad.
Feeds Four
Sleeps Two
Old 04-11-2020, 07:00 PM   #10

You was right Mr. Grumpy, yep right again. I'm deeply impressed with the Ready Brake and Ready Breakaway cable system. 'Preciate the info and insight on tow brakes.

Best regards
Feeds Four
Sleeps Two