Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 10-24-2014, 09:21 PM   #11

I am going to answer this from a different angle... Convince him to rent one for 2 weeks first.. Many couples find they cant stand being that close to each other that much.. it will also give you and idea of the costs of travel in an RV and a better idea of what you need/want over what looks shinny and nice on the showroom floor.

215/2016, 211/2015, 196/14, 247/13, 193/12

Seann45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2014, 11:51 PM   #12

I've been at this location(pismo beach) for 3 weeks now and there are 2 MH that have been for sale for over a year now, Not even 1 bite! 5th wheels seen to be the most well liked for the mobile life style and they seem to out number everything else in this area. I must say that if I ever upgrade from my Hybrid it will be a 5th wheel. In the last 3 weeks I've been in 4 with slide outs and I think they offer the best bang for the buck but again that's my and Tunces life style.

Tunce the traveler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2014, 10:01 PM   #13

Went Greyhawk cause we can't justify a TV.insurance is 500 per year and it's fun to get up and go..but an eagle would have been more residential
thecampingcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2014, 07:43 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by thecampingcat View Post
Went Greyhawk cause we can't justify a TV.insurance is 500 per year and it's fun to get up and go..but an eagle would have been more residential
I'm confused? Can't justify $500 insurance on a TV but what is the insurance on the MH Greyhawk? Add a toad to that [with its insurance] and calculate the annual maintanence on both and then compare all that to insurance / maintance on a TT or 5'er plus the TV which serves other purposes when its not towing.
Bassdogs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2014, 08:06 AM   #15

I've had 2 motorhomes, 2 5th wheels and 5 trailers. Of these, my favorite for traveling and staying in is the 5th wheel. The only reason that I have had trailers for the last 4 is we take either our 2 mountain bikes or the tandem bike and I need a truck with a cap to store the bikes and keep them secure when traveling. If it were not for the bikes I would probably have another 5th wheel. We keep the tandem in the truck all riding season, even when home.

I do like a motorhome for some reasons, but there are significant disadvantages for me. The first is cost and depreciation. RVs depreciate at a fast rate, much faster than a truck. A $80k (actual purchase price) class C will depreciate much more than a $40k trailer and a $40k truck. Since I also have a car, that cost is a wash.

A lot of cars (perhaps most) are not rated to be flat towed. I know that my 2011 Cruze is not.

Another potential problem is service on the MH. A lot of dealers are not equipped to service something as big as a motorhome. No problem with the truck. I have had a truck for the entire time that I have been RVing, even when we had a motorhome. I like having a truck for picking up lumber or if I have to take a lawn tractor to be fixed.

If I were rich then I would have a 45 ft Prevost chassis MH pulling a Featherlite trailer with my Ferrari in it, but for me that isn't even a dream.
Old 10-29-2014, 08:50 AM   #16

Bassdogs, I think what that poster meant was not insurance on the TV but afford the TV. I would love to have a real nice 5er, but then I would need a HD pickup to pull it and then another car to commute to work in. So now you have insurance on daily driver, TV, and trailer. With the MH, you only have the MH and the daily driver. Pros and cons. It's all about what works best for you and your family.
Grey2014 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2014, 09:43 AM   #17

Sorry, grey14 had it right..TV for an eagle would have cost more than I paid for my 2014 Greyhawk 31fk. Actually TV for a Jay flight would have cost about the same..And I can't justify it as a family vehicle..grt a little envious of residential space 5vrs have but Greyhawk is cozy and it's not like we are slumming.
Lol
When needed we rent at cG but some day I will get the courage to tow lol
Old 10-29-2014, 12:10 PM   #18

Send a message via Skype™ to ALJO
I agree with RVer Bill. We all have preferences and we all have different dispensable income and wants.
MH is harder to sell and depreciation is definitely higher than a TT or 5er
I found the 5er is my favourite over the TT when traveling, both are easy to hook-up and unhook.
MH’s are comfortable to drive and live in but it is just another engine and tranny to maintain. Also if you have to tow a toad, then I would prefer a TT or 5er. A van or truck is also more versatile. A car is a car and that’s just what I think of it. I don’t have to keep up with the Jones either and look at things what are practical. So we all have our preferences that way “things doesn’t get boring”.
Champion 3100/2800 watt Inverter/Generator-Onboard Solar Power

ALJO 'Forever Young @ Heart' provide on their travels Music Entertainment to Senior Care Homes
ALJO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2014, 12:46 PM   #19

The TV doesn't have to be an HD but even so, that pickup does more than tow an RV. Use it to pick up firewood, help the kids move, bring home the materials to build that deck or take the riding mower to the shop. That MH just sits in storage or out by the barn 90% of the time. Depreciation on that MH is steep which is something you find out when you decide to sell. Also the toad is rarely a family's only "driver" so there is extra expense and maintance on it too. If you have kids, dogs, or both that toad turns into a Van or Suv.

Anyway it is a matter of choice. In this thread we had a poster who had a spouse wanting a MH. Sounded to me like he/she wasn't so convinced. Just wanting to point out the issues that we considered that led us to stay with a towable.
Bassdogs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2014, 02:02 PM   #20

Also we started renting a class c for several years and we just like it..backing up a TT is intimidating to us..although we like to watch others do it..lol It would be nice to have a fireplace though..I like how ring seems to be a culture with many ways to enjoy it..never gave a thought to selling it yet and never considered it an investment that's for sure..I definitely don't want to start the I want something bigger trade in thing..that can be expensive too