Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 10-23-2014, 10:19 AM   #1

DH wants a motorhome....oh my!

We went to the Pomona RV Show and DH has the bug and wants a new toy. This looks like it's going to be expensive, but I have my reservations. We have a 5er and often go on excursions once we set up camp. How expensive is it to set up a toad? We have 2 kids, 12 and 9 and feel a motorhome might be tight for us. For those with kids how tight is it when everyone is inside? DH liked the Greyhawk 31FK and the Precept 31UL.

Insurance... I hate to even ask and we won't mention California registration.

What will be the biggest change for us? Are the roofs fiberglass or rubber? Benefits ...drawbacks 5er versus motorhome?
Old 10-23-2014, 10:39 AM   #2

Greyhawk is rubber and the Precept is fiberglass. Getting a towbar, baseplates and supplemental brake system can run around $2,000 +. We've really enjoyed our two motorhomes, but since we spend more time in it since originally anticipated we are going back to a FW. Personally I don't want a class "A" since I want more between me and the bumper besides the windshield. (JMHO)
Old 10-23-2014, 01:04 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grumpy View Post
Greyhawk is rubber and the Precept is fiberglass. Getting a towbar, baseplates and supplemental brake system can run around $2,000 +. We've really enjoyed our two motorhomes, but since we spend more time in it since originally anticipated we are going back to a FW. Personally I don't want a class "A" since I want more between me and the bumper besides the windshield. (JMHO)
Yep, agree with most of what Grumpy said. Precept..fiberglass roof, towbar, etc $2000.+.
We just moved from a 37' 5th wheel toyhauler to the 31 UL in July. Very pleased with the move. Space???????? with the 2 young ones will be different but with the cockpit seats rotating to become integral parts of the living area, it could be very doable. Precept has other models that include bunk bed styles.
Search on the threads for Precept & Greyhawk and you will find a considerable amount of info.
Not all vehicles can be a towed vehicle behind a MH so take that into consideration.
Good luck and don't hesitate to ask questions and search the threads.
'13 Wrangler Sahara...AKAFUN
Roadmaster base plate
Ready Brute Elite towbar and brake combo
D&MAKAFUN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2014, 09:35 AM   #4
WDW

Recently bought 31FK as our first MH. We initially had deals in place for two different Winnebagos but fortunately they fell apart. For the most part Jayco is better built and has more festures as stand than Sunssekers or Winnebago Premier editions. The 31FK floor plan for the TV IS THE BEST DESIGN in any similar sized rig.

Formerly 31FK 15 Grayhawk
Toad: 2015 Jeep Cherokee "The Caboose".

Taking in the sights wherever my Trolley takes me!
WDW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2014, 10:14 AM   #5

I also have an FK and have to agree about the tv location. I have three small children and so far we have enough room. As for towig we have not tried it yet but we mostly do long weeked trips so we really dont need a car. I have also found that renting a car is cheaper then renting a golf cart go figure. The only thing i dont like about the class c is the low ccc (cargo capacity).
Greyhawk01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2014, 05:49 PM   #6

Wife wanted to go w/ a motorhome when we decided to upgrade from our 06 TT. In the end I won out and we bought a 2014 W hawk that offered everything we had on our wish list. We have taken several trips [2 Alaska and one to the Pacific NW] that would have required long cross country drives just to get to the place we wanted to visit. Our answer is to fly and rent a MH and spend all of our time on location rather than getting there. Before someone jumps up and says that getting there is half the fun, let me say that we have driven cross country more times than I can remember and I've seen enough of Kansas, East/Central Colorado, etc over the years.

The beauty of a TT or 5'er is once you're set up, the TV becomes your tour vehicle. No need for a small toad. In addition we don't have a $75k , 85k, or much higher vehicle sitting out behind the house 10 months out of the year and all the insurance and maintenence that comes with a motor home. In our final decision, a new longer TT with more features and creature comforts won out and after 1 1/2 years with it we have never regreted our decision.

there is no right answer on this one, just personal preferences.
Bassdogs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2014, 05:53 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bassdogs View Post
Wife wanted to go w/ a motorhome when we decided to upgrade from our 06 TT. In the end I won out and we bought a 2014 W hawk that offered everything we had on our wish list. We have taken several trips [2 Alaska and one to the Pacific NW] that would have required long cross country drives just to get to the place we wanted to visit. Our answer is to fly and rent a MH and spend all of our time on location rather than getting there. Before someone jumps up and says that getting there is half the fun, let me say that we have driven cross country more times than I can remember and I've seen enough of Kansas, East/Central Colorado, etc over the years.

The beauty of a TT or 5'er is once you're set up, the TV becomes your tour vehicle. No need for a small toad. In addition we don't have a $75k , 85k, or much higher vehicle sitting out behind the house 10 months out of the year and all the insurance and maintenence that comes with a motor home. In our final decision, a new longer TT with more features and creature comforts won out and after 1 1/2 years with it we have never regreted our decision.

there is no right answer on this one, just personal preferences.
Just to make it clear, we use our TT for a lengthy trip to the Gulf in Jan / Feb, several long weekends to meet up with the grandkids, and a driver trip in the Spring and or Fall. We just got back from a week on the Blueridge Parkway.
Old 10-24-2014, 06:07 PM   #8
Site Team

It's just a matter of finding what suits your needs before you spend all your $$$$ experimenting. We had a TT then a MH and finally settled on a fifth wheel. That is what meets our lifestyle needs. We are on our third and hopefully fifth wheel.
Hughes PWD SP-50A, TST TPMS
Gator roll-up bed cover
B&W Turnover ball, Companion Std hitch
Can't find what you're looking on JOF? Try Jayco Owners Forum Custom Google Search
norty1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2014, 06:10 PM   #9

If and when you shop for a flat towed vehicle, make sure you check the specs for the specific vehicle you are buying. The specs change from year-to-year and model-to-model. Checking the owners manual for the car you are buying can save you from getting a surprise.
OnTheGo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2014, 08:14 PM   #10

We just recently traded our TT in for the Greyhawk 31FS. Better fit for our needs with the kids when traveling. Trying to figure out now what my toad is gonna be. It is all about what fits your family the best. I wish I could hit the lottery because then I could have my choice of what to take based on where we are going.
Grey2014 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2014, 08:21 PM   #11

I am going to answer this from a different angle... Convince him to rent one for 2 weeks first.. Many couples find they cant stand being that close to each other that much.. it will also give you and idea of the costs of travel in an RV and a better idea of what you need/want over what looks shinny and nice on the showroom floor.
93/2020,157/2019219/2018 206/2017,215/2016, 211/2015, 196/14, 247/13, 193/12

Seann45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2014, 10:51 PM   #12

I've been at this location(pismo beach) for 3 weeks now and there are 2 MH that have been for sale for over a year now, Not even 1 bite! 5th wheels seen to be the most well liked for the mobile life style and they seem to out number everything else in this area. I must say that if I ever upgrade from my Hybrid it will be a 5th wheel. In the last 3 weeks I've been in 4 with slide outs and I think they offer the best bang for the buck but again that's my and Tunces life style.
Tunce the traveler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2014, 09:01 PM   #13

Went Greyhawk cause we can't justify a TV.insurance is 500 per year and it's fun to get up and go..but an eagle would have been more residential
thecampingcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2014, 06:43 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by thecampingcat View Post
Went Greyhawk cause we can't justify a TV.insurance is 500 per year and it's fun to get up and go..but an eagle would have been more residential
I'm confused? Can't justify $500 insurance on a TV but what is the insurance on the MH Greyhawk? Add a toad to that [with its insurance] and calculate the annual maintanence on both and then compare all that to insurance / maintance on a TT or 5'er plus the TV which serves other purposes when its not towing.
Old 10-29-2014, 07:06 AM   #15

I've had 2 motorhomes, 2 5th wheels and 5 trailers. Of these, my favorite for traveling and staying in is the 5th wheel. The only reason that I have had trailers for the last 4 is we take either our 2 mountain bikes or the tandem bike and I need a truck with a cap to store the bikes and keep them secure when traveling. If it were not for the bikes I would probably have another 5th wheel. We keep the tandem in the truck all riding season, even when home.

I do like a motorhome for some reasons, but there are significant disadvantages for me. The first is cost and depreciation. RVs depreciate at a fast rate, much faster than a truck. A $80k (actual purchase price) class C will depreciate much more than a $40k trailer and a $40k truck. Since I also have a car, that cost is a wash.

A lot of cars (perhaps most) are not rated to be flat towed. I know that my 2011 Cruze is not.

Another potential problem is service on the MH. A lot of dealers are not equipped to service something as big as a motorhome. No problem with the truck. I have had a truck for the entire time that I have been RVing, even when we had a motorhome. I like having a truck for picking up lumber or if I have to take a lawn tractor to be fixed.

If I were rich then I would have a 45 ft Prevost chassis MH pulling a Featherlite trailer with my Ferrari in it, but for me that isn't even a dream.
Old 10-29-2014, 07:50 AM   #16

Bassdogs, I think what that poster meant was not insurance on the TV but afford the TV. I would love to have a real nice 5er, but then I would need a HD pickup to pull it and then another car to commute to work in. So now you have insurance on daily driver, TV, and trailer. With the MH, you only have the MH and the daily driver. Pros and cons. It's all about what works best for you and your family.
Grey2014 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2014, 08:43 AM   #17

Sorry, grey14 had it right..TV for an eagle would have cost more than I paid for my 2014 Greyhawk 31fk. Actually TV for a Jay flight would have cost about the same..And I can't justify it as a family vehicle..grt a little envious of residential space 5vrs have but Greyhawk is cozy and it's not like we are slumming.
Lol
When needed we rent at cG but some day I will get the courage to tow lol
Old 10-29-2014, 11:10 AM   #18

Send a message via Skype™ to ALJO
I agree with RVer Bill. We all have preferences and we all have different dispensable income and wants.
MH is harder to sell and depreciation is definitely higher than a TT or 5er
I found the 5er is my favourite over the TT when traveling, both are easy to hook-up and unhook.
MH’s are comfortable to drive and live in but it is just another engine and tranny to maintain. Also if you have to tow a toad, then I would prefer a TT or 5er. A van or truck is also more versatile. A car is a car and that’s just what I think of it. I don’t have to keep up with the Jones either and look at things what are practical. So we all have our preferences that way “things doesn’t get boring”.
Pro Series 1200 lbs. WDH with Double Sway Bar.
Champion 3100/2800 watt Inverter/Generator-Onboard Solar Power
ALJO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2014, 11:46 AM   #19

The TV doesn't have to be an HD but even so, that pickup does more than tow an RV. Use it to pick up firewood, help the kids move, bring home the materials to build that deck or take the riding mower to the shop. That MH just sits in storage or out by the barn 90% of the time. Depreciation on that MH is steep which is something you find out when you decide to sell. Also the toad is rarely a family's only "driver" so there is extra expense and maintance on it too. If you have kids, dogs, or both that toad turns into a Van or Suv.

Anyway it is a matter of choice. In this thread we had a poster who had a spouse wanting a MH. Sounded to me like he/she wasn't so convinced. Just wanting to point out the issues that we considered that led us to stay with a towable.
Old 10-29-2014, 01:02 PM   #20

Also we started renting a class c for several years and we just like it..backing up a TT is intimidating to us..although we like to watch others do it..lol It would be nice to have a fireplace though..I like how ring seems to be a culture with many ways to enjoy it..never gave a thought to selling it yet and never considered it an investment that's for sure..I definitely don't want to start the I want something bigger trade in thing..that can be expensive too