Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 06-21-2018, 07:55 PM   #1
Lost in the Woods

Diesel C-class

Does, or did Jayco ever build a diesel C-class. Not looking for a Freightliner chassis. Would like to get something in the 24-28 ft range but all I`m finding are the Mercedes chassis which are big bucks. Would like a GM chassis or Ford.
Danno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2018, 07:57 PM   #2

The first generation Seneca is built upon the Chevrolet Kodiak chassis and is powered by the Duramax 6.6L diesel engine.
WinnieView is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2018, 08:02 PM   #3
Lost in the Woods

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2008Seneca View Post
The first generation Seneca is built upon the Chevrolet Kodiak chassis and is powered by the Duramax 6.6L diesel engine.
I guess I should be more specific. I don't want a full size truck chassis. Need pickup or van cab only.
Old 06-21-2018, 08:18 PM   #4

I can't recall any Ford E-chassis diesel Class C motorhomes, one factor was the diesel is quite a bit heavier. With an overhead bunk AND the diesel the front axle would likely be overweight.

I do recall seeing some Class B units with no cabover bunk having a diesel, but not many.
Toads: 2019 Ford Edge ST or 2013 Ford Focus ST
Robbbyr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2018, 08:24 PM   #5
Site Team

This is going way back and it isn't a Jayco, but Serro Scotty built class C's on a Dodge 3500 chassis with the Cummins throughout the '90's. If you can find one, they bring quite a hefty sum.
2015 MB Sprinter 2500 Passenger 2.1L Diesel
2007 Ram 2500 4x4 Cummins 5.9L G56

Midnightmoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2018, 08:56 PM   #6

Several MFGs built on the Ford E450 with Powerstroke engines.
I have not seen one newer that a 2006 or so.
I spoke to an owner who said it got around 11 mpg and towed a trailer well
but working on it was a nightmare due to tight cab.
There are a few new RVs built on Ford F350 frames, Pick up cabs
with long wheelbase.
katiedog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2018, 09:13 PM   #7

Coming from a previous diesel guy...unless you have really deep pockets stay with gas. The Ford V-10 6.8 Triton is a beast. It's 415 cubic inches of power and it is easy to work on and very reliable.

In a Class C it will tow up to 7500lbs and never miss a beat. I can change the oil myself and it doesn't cost a arm and a leg. No special filters to worry with...no DEF tank to fill...no diesel smell.

Remember with a diesel motorhome you will also get a diesel onan gernerator. I had one of those in my diesel motorhome. The weight starts adding up fast.

I doubt you will find many diesel motorhomes that aren't a freightliner like the Seneca. If I wanted a diesel I would get a Seneca. I really like the front engine Cummins.
cabinetmaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2018, 04:05 AM   #8

Danno, in my search to downsize from a Class A to a Class C I did find a 2010 Ford Diesel 6.0 Class C for sale. It was at Phoenix Cruiser but has sold. As cabinetmaker expressed it is a bear to work on because there is not much room in that engine area. That company apparently is building them and they even offer a 4 wheel drive version. Happy searching, Jimmyd
Jimmyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2018, 06:01 AM   #9

Dynamax makes a very high quality class C RV (never thought I’d say that about a Forrest River product) on a Ram 5500 cab and chassis platform. That’s where I would have love to have gone for my next RV but due to the price, I went with a class A diesel pusher instead. I must be in the minority. I hate the Ford V-10. It is easy and cheap to work on but once you’ve gone diesel, it is very hard to go back to gas.

http://www.dynamaxcorp.com/product-d...29&Image=12937
Wertles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2018, 06:06 AM   #10

Have you considered a B+ like thor makes on the ford transit platform? Those come with the 3.0 power stroke. My in-laws have one that they enjoy quite a bit. It gets 16+ mpg. I do tease them, though and tell them that when they get tired, I'll put it in my Seneca's storage bay and they can ride with us!!
Old 06-22-2018, 06:17 AM   #11

Wertles, we understand about the diesels. We’ve had 2 Busses with Cummins Diesels. We just sold out 15 and are trying the Jayco C for a while. Hoping it works out for a lot less maintenance. Seems better so far
Jimmyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2018, 06:55 AM   #12

I am trying to understand the comment that the Mercedes Sprinter is a large truck as compared to what the OP is looking for. It does have a longer wheel base but on a 24' class C means less overhang.
2016 Ford Focus set up to flat tow
Pfflyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2018, 07:03 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wertles View Post
Dynamax makes a very high quality class C RV (never thought I’d say that about a Forrest River product) on a Ram 5500 cab and chassis platform. That’s where I would have love to have gone for my next RV but due to the price, I went with a class A diesel pusher instead. I must be in the minority. I hate the Ford V-10. It is easy and cheap to work on but once you’ve gone diesel, it is very hard to go back to gas.

Isata 5 Class C Motorhomes by Dynamax
I doubt your in the minority...most would prefer diesel in a class A or anything larger than a regular Class C.

The question was diesel in a regular Class C like a Greyhawk. As others have mentioned weight and cost and ease of maintenance are the killer. The Ford v-10 is a very good motor and good choice in this application.
Old 06-22-2018, 08:10 AM   #14
Lost in the Woods

Thanks for all the comments, as it gives me something to think about.
My main reason for wanting a diesel is for the better fuel economy, and the ease of going up and down hills. I find the sound of a gas engine screaming in second gear trying to climb a hill very stressful.
Right now we have a TT (X213), and we want to upgrade to a motorhome. Unfortunately, the last motorhome I had driven was a 1989 C-class with a 350, and that's what brings back bad memories of driving this thing. I'm sure things have improved greatly since then ! The idea of being able to do my own maintenance is definitely a bonus when it comes to the gas engines.
I'm starting to realize that any benefits of going to diesel will be outweighed by initial cost, as well as high maintenance costs.
My plan is to rent something similar to what we want before making our purchase.
Thanks for trying to steer me in the right direction !!
Old 06-22-2018, 08:49 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danno View Post
Thanks for all the comments, as it gives me something to think about.
My main reason for wanting a diesel is for the better fuel economy, and the ease of going up and down hills. I find the sound of a gas engine screaming in second gear trying to climb a hill very stressful.
Right now we have a TT (X213), and we want to upgrade to a motorhome. Unfortunately, the last motorhome I had driven was a 1989 C-class with a 350, and that's what brings back bad memories of driving this thing. I'm sure things have improved greatly since then ! The idea of being able to do my own maintenance is definitely a bonus when it comes to the gas engines.
I'm starting to realize that any benefits of going to diesel will be outweighed by initial cost, as well as high maintenance costs.
My plan is to rent something similar to what we want before making our purchase.
Thanks for trying to steer me in the right direction !!
Danno...very good plan you have to test drive / rent a few before making up your mind.

I think you will be surprised at the newer Class C's with the V-10 and 6 speed. Back when our kids were little we bought our first motorhome a Itasca Class C. It was also a Ford but back then they used the 460ci V-8 and a 3 speed auto.

Let me tell you that thing would sing to you going up hills! These new V-10's with the 6 speeds are not anything like that. Much more tame. You still slow down some going up steep hills but it is totally different power and noise wise.