Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 11-19-2018, 09:13 AM   #1

Diesel Engine Monitors

Good day to all. Trying to decide which Engine/System Monitor to purchase. Have reviewed threads about ScanGuage and sounds good. Would like a little bigger screen than their small box. Found BlueFire on line and looks interesting with bluetooth link to your cell phone, tablet or computer. Also found VMPpc from Silverleaf electronics which will link to any Windows based product, no android link. Would like to hear some folks who have had used the BlueFire or VMSpc compared to the ScanGuage. Also interested in how easy to customize any of the displays.Thanks in advance.
Gunfighter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2018, 10:46 AM   #2

I've had my ScanGauge since shortly after getting my Seneca, very happy with how it functions. Since while driving I want to keep the distractions to a minimum the small display works just fine for me. I have it mounted up high to the left of the small storage bin above the driver's seat. Just a quick glance up and I can view the readings. While driving I keep mine on voltage, average MPG, boost, and trans temp. If I want to see any other parameters I can select them easily when stopped, you don't have to navigate any menus, just depress the button next to a reading and you can scroll through all the available monitored functions.

Here are some pictures of my installation as well as a shot of a unit installed in a Build 5 Fabrication center console: https://www.jaycoowners.com/forums/m...lbums1566.html

I have the console, but not the one with the ScanGauge pocket since my display was already up high where I wanted it. But the console (manufactured by another Seneca owner) does provide that option if ordered that way.
Toads: 2019 Ford Edge ST or 2013 Ford Focus ST
Robbbyr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2018, 11:01 AM   #3

Thanks Robbbyr. Nice clean installation next to overhead bin. Did you route your wiring down the windshield/door frame post? I agree that the 4 outputs you are monitoring are probably some of the most critical. I want to be able to check the trans temp. and boost especially when pulling a toad. Thanks again.
Old 11-19-2018, 11:33 AM   #4

ScanGauge

I really like the Scangauge - I use the fuel computer for gallons used as the fuel gauge leaves a lot to be desired - I “ daisy chained “ 2 units together for 8 readings and my only wish would be a larger display Les

Les & Sandy
2016 Seneca HJ - Scangauge D - Truma Comfort
560 watts solar - Blue Sky 3024iL -IPN ProRemote - Trojan T-105RE
Good Sam Life Member - FMCA Member - Passport America
Les7h is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2018, 12:32 PM   #5

I have been using the Scangauge in the last 2 motorhomes and they work great. I have no experience with other readers but my son has used the Bluetooth OBD port reader with apps on his phone and tablet for his Ford pickup diesels and they were always a bit quirky as far as not linking up, draining his battery for no reason and gauges showing up wrong. I have no idea of the brands he tried but he finally bought a Scangauge. I mounted mine overhead like Robbbyr but have mine in the cubby with the TPMS next to it. You can easily run the wire up behind the trim on the drivers side and then I just drilled a hole in the back of the cubby and used the velcro strip to mount the gauge to the top of the cubby. With a little flexing the cubby with pop right out of the headliner.
Attached Thumbnails
76DA79E1-65F2-4D7D-877A-A9D3D3E633C1.jpg  

Rustynuts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2018, 12:53 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gunfighter View Post
Thanks Robbbyr. Nice clean installation next to overhead bin. Did you route your wiring down the windshield/door frame post? I agree that the 4 outputs you are monitoring are probably some of the most critical. I want to be able to check the trans temp. and boost especially when pulling a toad. Thanks again.
Yes, the cord was easy to route behind the A-pillar cover down to the diagnostic connector. Only modification I did to mine was to put a thumbscrew through the side of my connector so I could just barely snug it down to the vehicle connector. I was experiencing the connector falling out when hitting bumps in our wonderful roads! I thought someone told me newer ScanGauge units have a retention mechanism, but I might be wrong.

I have also heard that a number of owners getting new ScanGauge units were receiving the wrong cord. ScanGauge's customer service was immediately making things right once notified, hopefully they now are better prepared to ship the correct cord to newer Seneca owners. My understanding is that Freightliner changed the vehicle connector at some point.

I thought about putting mine in the cubby like Rustynuts, but I wear sunglasses a lot plus put my wallet up there when driving. Wallet was making my rear end and leg sore in the Seneca seat. Fine in my other vehicles though. Weird!
Toads: 2019 Ford Edge ST or 2013 Ford Focus ST
Robbbyr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2018, 01:02 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robbbyr View Post
I was experiencing the connector falling out when hitting bumps in our wonderful roads! I thought someone told me newer ScanGauge units have a retention mechanism, but I might be wrong.

I have also heard that a number of owners getting new ScanGauge units were receiving the wrong cord. ScanGauge's customer service was immediately making things right once notified, hopefully they now are better prepared to ship the correct cord to newer Seneca owners. My understanding is that Freightliner changed the vehicle connector at some point.

Yes, I was one that originally got the wrong cord as I had ordered through Amazon but Scangauge sent me a whole new unit with a call tag for the old one, this is why I recommend ordering through Scangauge themselves to make sure you get the correct cord and the latest firmware....it may cost a little more but could save the hassle of getting older stock from someplace else. Also the newer cord does have a rotating lock that locks it onto the port.

Rustynuts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2018, 01:11 PM   #8

We've been using a Scangauge or Scangauge D with our previous Cummins for about 10 years. The 'regular' Scangauge is now connected to our Duramax diesel and works just fine.
WinnieView is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2018, 02:23 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robbbyr View Post
Yes, the cord was easy to route behind the A-pillar cover down to the diagnostic connector. Only modification I did to mine was to put a thumbscrew through the side of my connector so I could just barely snug it down to the vehicle connector. I was experiencing the connector falling out when hitting bumps in our wonderful roads! I thought someone told me newer ScanGauge units have a retention mechanism, but I might be wrong.

I thought about putting mine in the cubby like Rustynuts, but I wear sunglasses a lot plus put my wallet up there when driving. Wallet was making my rear end and leg sore in the Seneca seat. Fine in my other vehicles though. Weird!

See https://www.jaycoowners.com/forums/f...a-45978-4.html

posts #32-34. ScanGauge ended up sending me the new green locking plug for free. The black plug with the two set screws did not work well.
Kar Kaddy SS
javamon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2018, 09:02 AM   #10

Thanks

Thanks to all. Good information. I went onto the home page for ScanGauge and you will find a product description for a J1939-Type2 Cable (Green 9 pin) listed as 2017+. I probably will copy Rustynuts install with the TPMS right next door.

Tags
bluefire, scangauge, vmspec