Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 08-27-2017, 04:29 PM   #1
Sam

Diesel fuel additives?

I have a friend that uses a diesel additive on a regular basis in his Ram Cummins, he said each tank fill up. My question is do many of you Seneca owners do the same?

I have owned three diesel trucks pulling fifth wheels since 2000 and now have owned a Seneca for almost 2 1/2 years with over 23,000 miles. I have never used an additive nor have I had engine problems, but maybe I have been just lucky.

I am open to using additives if necessary. However, do not want to waste moneys if unnecessary.

Thanks for any input. Sam
Sam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2017, 04:43 PM   #2

I don't do it every tank full. I do do it a couple times a year.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 08-27-2017, 05:00 PM   #3

Not a Seneca owner, but I add Ford's PM-22-A every time I get fuel and have been doing that since mile #1. When I drove in below zero F areas with #2 diesel fuel, I added PM-23-A (anti-gel).
Full timing: Some will think you're crazy, some will be envious, just enjoy the freedom!
oldmanAZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2017, 11:14 PM   #4

When researching/debating adding something on a regular basis, I ran across the study referenced in this post. I, on occasion, will add a treatment when I will be storing for long periods to prevent algae and moisture, however concluded that the verified results were too uncertain for me to pry open my wallet as a means to improve the fuel as many of the products, while improving one characteristic, detracted in another way...

Diesel Additives - study done by Diesel Place.. - Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum
Old 08-28-2017, 04:18 AM   #5

Additive for winter

Funny this came us, as I was just thinking about additives for the winter. What do you use for winter storage in the diesel?
Old 08-28-2017, 06:52 AM   #6

I use Bio-Kleen and Sea Foam. Bio-Kleen is for algae and fungus in the fuel and the sea foam for moisture / preservative properties. I like to get the tanks as full as possible, add my treatments at the fuel station and run the engines long enough to where I'm sure they've had a chance to make it back to the injectors and into the whole system.
Old 08-28-2017, 07:04 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldmanAZ View Post
Not a Seneca owner, but I add Ford's PM-22-A every time I get fuel and have been doing that since mile #1. When I drove in below zero F areas with #2 diesel fuel, I added PM-23-A (anti-gel).
Ditto.
W/Air Lift air bags (front & rear)
Equal-I-Zer™ WDH & B&W Companion
TWP723 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2017, 07:09 AM   #8
Site Team

I have always used Diesel Kleen in my 06 F350PSD.
Hughes PWD SP-50A, TST TPMS
Gator roll-up bed cover
B&W Turnover ball, Companion Std hitch
Can't find what you're looking on JOF? Try Jayco Owners Forum Custom Google Search
norty1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2017, 07:46 AM   #9

I'm a big advocate for Sea Foam. The only concerns I really have had in 40 years of running diesels is dirty fuel or water in it. Good filtering and then removal of water is the best solution. Clean air and clean fuel and you will have good running equipment. The engines we run today are very impressive.
2016 Jayco Seneca 37FS
2016 Chevrolet Traverse
2018 Cheverolet Silverado
rgolding is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2017, 07:41 PM   #10

Like I said earlier I only run it a couple times a year in the rv. In my truck I do the same except in the winter. When headed north for snowmobiling I always add a anti gel. I use the power service products. Depending on the product it also removes water injection cleaner and anti gel.
F419sr1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2017, 07:30 AM   #11

We usually add an anti-gel additive on our way north when coming home from Florida for the Holidays of Thanksgiving and Christmas.
2016 Jayco Seneca 37FS
2016 Chevrolet Traverse
Old 10-10-2017, 05:32 AM   #12

What is considered "storage"? A month, three months, six months? I am thinking about adding Seafoam and/or Bioclean to tanks when not using. Do I want to add regularly or only when stored for a period of time?
I have read many conflicting opinions.
Mark S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2017, 06:06 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark S View Post
What is considered "storage"? A month, three months, six months? I am thinking about adding Seafoam and/or Bioclean to tanks when not using. Do I want to add regularly or only when stored for a period of time?
I have read many conflicting opinions.
Lots of variables here. Humidity and climate and age of fuel allows crud to grow. We used to run a Tour boat with a 140 gallon keel mounted long belly tank. We'd drain the tank each Winter when it set for 5 months in storage.
That little Yanmar engine would run great, each year. Until we got it in a cross sea and would wash the high sides of the tank as we rocked and "Yawled" along. Then we'd spend about a week getting things cleaned up inside the engine with a couple of changes of fuel filters and lots of fresh fuel. The algae is a pollutant to the system and "the solution to pollution is dilution". Not talking about the water in fuel, that causes freezing and gelling in cold weather, but algae that clogs up fuel lines and filters from old stale fuel. So the variables are water in cold weather and algae and bacteria growth in warm weather. Clean fuel and clean air and they run good. Its just that simple, but the environment of where the engine works is the unknown factor.
2016 Jayco Seneca 37FS
2016 Chevrolet Traverse
Old 10-10-2017, 07:47 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by rgolding View Post
Lots of variables here. Humidity and climate and age of fuel allows crud to grow. We used to run a Tour boat with a 140 gallon keel mounted long belly tank. We'd drain the tank each Winter when it set for 5 months in storage.
That little Yanmar engine would run great, each year. Until we got it in a cross sea and would wash the high sides of the tank as we rocked and "Yawled" along. Then we'd spend about a week getting things cleaned up inside the engine with a couple of changes of fuel filters and lots of fresh fuel. The algae is a pollutant to the system and "the solution to pollution is dilution". Not talking about the water in fuel, that causes freezing and gelling in cold weather, but algae that clogs up fuel lines and filters from old stale fuel. So the variables are water in cold weather and algae and bacteria growth in warm weather. Clean fuel and clean air and they run good. Its just that simple, but the environment of where the engine works is the unknown factor.
Great explanation, thank you. So from your explanation, since I live in a very warm and humid environment, my concern should be algae forming while in storage. I do know to fill the tanks with fresh fuel before storing. Would you recommend a dose of Bio-Kill or some other anti-algae additive?

Thanks
Mark S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2017, 09:20 AM   #15

Only one I ever used. They make most of the injector pumps so they definitely know diesel fuels.

Stanadyne Additives
Old 10-10-2017, 01:50 PM   #16

Since we live where it gets into the single digit temperatures in winter, we have to use additives to prevent gelling. We use Power Service: Diesel Fuel Supplement +Cetane Boost | Power Service
right into the fuel tanks at every fillup. The Generator fuel line is also very vulnerable to gelling of fuel too - make sure you run the gen enough to get "treated fuel" thru the filter and into the Gen.

In the summer months... We don't see the need to use it all the time, but we feel an improvement in performance and mileage when we are using it.

We can also recommend Opti-Lube too!
07 Toyota FJC & Yamaha Kodiak 400 ATV

SloPoke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2017, 02:10 PM   #17

Power Service Diesel Kleen in every tankfill. Helps to control moisture, lubricates the HPFP and a little cetane boost as well. Does it really help? I couldn't tell you but it makes me feel better about the engine.
TCNashville is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2017, 03:31 PM   #18

Only stuff I have used for 15 years.
Attached Thumbnails
99DF424D-E9A9-4C64-ACE5-A24B5F419FB0-2435-0000045A911B64D3.png  
cariboocreek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2017, 05:09 AM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark S View Post
Great explanation, thank you. So from your explanation, since I live in a very warm and humid environment, my concern should be algae forming while in storage. I do know to fill the tanks with fresh fuel before storing. Would you recommend a dose of Bio-Kill or some other anti-algae additive?

Thanks
Yes, I would add a Bio-Kill and what I use is exactly what is shown above. That bottle treats about 150 gallons, so with a 74 gallon tank, I use half a bottle on the trip home from Florida to Illinois at Thanksgiving. With that I'm set for the cold, if it gets down to "gelling temps". Also, cleans up the injectors and prevents algae growth. If you buy your fuel at big truck stops, they go through a lot and its always fresh.

Just think of a full tank of fuel not being able to have enough oxygen room to grow algae. But be sure to run the engine and the generator engine for awhile after filling, so fuel lines and filters have the Bio-Kill in them. I have literally seen fuel lines so clogged with algae, that it looked like pulling out a 1/4 inch string of green/black spaghetti over 4 foot long. Hard for fuel to get through that.
2016 Jayco Seneca 37FS
2016 Chevrolet Traverse
Old 10-11-2017, 09:55 AM   #20

Gotta love a fuel additive thread! I'm using PRI-D https://www.prepperswarehouse.com/fu...sel-stabilizer. Originally found it while shopping for our Berkey water filtration unit. Don't know if it works as claimed, but the dosing is insane at just 1:2000 (or approx. 2 ml per gallon).
Crossingover is offline   Reply With Quote