Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 05-17-2016, 11:55 PM   #1

Dinghy Towing

Hello everyone I own a 2015 greyhawk 31 FK and this would be my first time towing. I own a 2014 Honda CRV and I took the car in for service and my owners manual disappeared, I called the local dealer and no one new, they recommended calling the Honda manufacturer, they said to look @ the owners manual so I spoke to another plant and they said yes just follow the owners manual for that particular vehicle not all 2014 Honda CRVs are towable depending on what month the car was made, Has anyone experienced this problem. The dinghy towing guide says yes its towable and camping world says yes, Thanks Bert Ortega El Paso TX
berto14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2016, 06:19 AM   #2

Owners manuals are priceless, put them in a ziploc bag and put them some place other than the glove box. Mine is in the trunk in a lock box bolted down

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
UpstateNY-31FS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2016, 06:23 AM   #3

It may be towable with stipulations.

EX: stopping every so many miles to run engine and circulate trany fluid, speed limitations, certain fuse to pull etc.

You definitely need to find an owners manual
Old 05-18-2016, 06:25 AM   #4

If your CRV is an automatic I think it is ruled out as being towable.
Pfflyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2016, 09:19 AM   #5

Hello Berto14,
I just bought a 2013 CR-V for the very same reason. It is the second most towed vehicle in the US. The Jeep Wrangler seems to be the most popular.
The AWD can only be towed with all 4 wheels down the 2 WD can also be towed on a dolly. However I will pursue the flat towing option on my AWD model.
In general the concern is that the transmission will not receive its proper lubrication and therefore burs up. There are several models that can be towed without that problem.
Have you selected your tow bar yet? Break Controller? I am in the process of doing some research on this and like to make a purchase this week. Maybe we can exchange our findings.
J.Balzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2016, 10:22 AM   #6

I towed an older automatic AWD CRV for four years. It was light and tracked appropriately. The teenage son totaled it last year so a replacement was needed. I was fed up with all the Honda (Takata) airbag recalls so I opted for a GMC Terrain.
Installing the base plate on the CRV took me about 3 hours, much easier than the Terrain. I use a Demco tow bar and a Blue Ox Patriot portable brake system.
abarkl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2016, 04:53 PM   #7

Same subject different question, on Chevrolet Silverados why does the towing guide say disconnect the negative battery cable?
Old 05-20-2016, 05:40 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old skipper View Post
Same subject different question, on Chevrolet Silverados why does the towing guide say disconnect the negative battery cable?
Depends on the year. The older trucks that were towable still had a locking steering column so you had to leave the key in the accessory position and you could drain the battery over time. Our 09 and 11 did not require that since the steering wheel did not lock.
Grumpy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2016, 06:20 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by UpstateNY-31FS View Post
Owners manuals are priceless, put them in a ziploc bag and put them some place other than the glove box. Mine is in the trunk in a lock box bolted down
You can go to the Honda website and download any manual (except service or technical manual, those you have to buy) you need as a PDF. This applies to almost any auto, truck, or appliance.

If I had anything better to do I would be doing it :)
snowbird47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2016, 12:15 PM   #10

We tow a '16 Subaru Forester 2.8i (manual trans). In my research mode, the sales People and the dealer had no idea. I went to the Subaru Customer site with my questions. Yes, the Forester (manual trans) can be towed four wheels down, without mileage issues, speed issues, fuse issues. A very simple process. It's light at 3300 lbs.

We are very happy with our choice.
Toad - '16 Subaru Forester (Pearl White - manual transmission)
Blue Ox (everything) for the TOAD
Boudreaux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2016, 03:09 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pfflyer View Post
If your CRV is an automatic I think it is ruled out as being towable.
Not necessarily. Honda switched to a CVT on the 2015 CRV, but my 2014 AWD has the old 5-speed auto and it is flat towable.
2014 Honda CR-V toad

anav8or is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2016, 05:45 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old skipper View Post
I overcame that issue on my Sonic by adding a charging line so the RV's 7-pin connection charges the battery while rolling.

Griswald One - Life is a Misadventure!
2015 Greyhawk 29ME / Chevy Sonic
Griswald One is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2016, 06:31 PM   #13

Having an automatic transmission doesn't disqualify it from being towed four rolling on the ground (FROG). I tow an 04 AWD CRV where the manual specifically says it can be towed that way. The only requirement is to start the engine and cycle the transmission through all FORWARD gears every 8 hours. There's a specific requirement to not shift into reverse and then neutral and tow away. You must go from a forward gear into neutral before towing.