Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 05-18-2018, 06:23 AM   #21

My favorite part about the ReadyBrute is the speed of connecting/disconnecting and being able to jump in the driver seat and go. Its really helpful when we get to a campsite and my wife goes in and registers and I unhook the toad to drive to the site.

The only issues we have had with it is when the arms don't extend and lock the first time. You have to take the whole thing apart, reset it and do it all over again. This mostly happened when it was new.
foglght is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2018, 05:06 PM   #22

Wannago,
Did you install the ReadyBrute yourself, and the readybrake for the Chevy Traverse too? Was the brake line install on the toad relatively easy? We just got a 2011 GMC Acadia (same chassis) and I am comparing tow bar systems, and I like that the ReadyBrute is an all in one, just curious how hard the actual toad baseplate and brake line install is.

-pd
pdvorak75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2018, 06:33 PM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by foglght View Post

The only issues we have had with it is when the arms don't extend and lock the first time. You have to take the whole thing apart, reset it and do it all over again. This mostly happened when it was new.
I discovered something on this. The tow arms will lock in the shower or compressed position. If you don't put the lock in the hookup position and extend the arms a bit, then they relock in the compressed or stowed position.. once I figured this out, no more having one arm locked and one compressed.

The hardest part of the install on my Cherokee was bolting on the blue ox tabs. The Readybrake is about how to route the cable through the firewall which mar involve drilling a hole. My jeep had a hole, but it large so had to use washers to scale it down.
jd99336 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2018, 03:50 AM   #24

I considered flat towing my jeep, but I decided to just haul it on a Aluma trailer instead. By the time I bought all the crap for towing, I had the cost of a very light trailer. Plus, I can back up and not be putting miles on the jeep.
Clayduster71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2019, 06:51 PM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by pdvorak75 View Post
Wannago,
Did you install the ReadyBrute yourself, and the readybrake for the Chevy Traverse too? Was the brake line install on the toad relatively easy? We just got a 2011 GMC Acadia (same chassis) and I am comparing tow bar systems, and I like that the ReadyBrute is an all in one, just curious how hard the actual toad baseplate and brake line install is.

-pd
My apologies pdvorak75, I had missed your question, and have been away from the forum for quite some time. The answer to your question is yes, I installed everything from tip to toe, Ready brake, wiring, and emergency brake. I would say it wasn't as difficult as I imagined, however it was a daunting task for me specifically because I am one who is faint at heart for tearing apart the front end of a brand new vehicle LOL, the drilling into the firewall for the brake cable was a bit of a challenge at first only because it was blind drilling, and is VERY close to fuel lines on my Traverse. Once it was done though, looking at the location it came out under the vehicle, I was like "ah, I worried for nothing....". The only issue I really had was I chose to be the man I am, and didn't read the instructions for the diode pack I purchased to wire the brake light/turn signals. I chose (instead of cutting into the wiring at the dash location) to tap at the rear brake lights and really had to get creative running wires between the right and left signals. Had I just followed the instructions, ALL my marker lights would operate going down the road, mine now however only illuminate the brakes, turns, and marker lights at the rear of the vehicle. I may change this someday, but state police have told me the way they are working (since its towed while illuminated in this manner) it is perfectly legal and still "shows" the vehicle to others following or passing by.

In whole, I LOVE this system, and the money I saved installing it all myself... I just wish I didn't have to cut into the frame sides like is required. But after talking to the dealer, they informed me it doesn't cancel out the warranty to install the base plate in the manner it has to, as long as I didn't cut through the frame LOL...

I also installed switches to cut the fuses for On-star and Main power myself, will add a pic as soon as I get the camera too work. Not sure of the layout on Acadia, but Traverse has a dash pocket with door (console) in the top center dash, I found a lil corner I could install them so they'd be out of the way, yet convenient and away from curious fingers....don't need the power cut while driving down the road unhooked LOL
WannaGo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2019, 07:20 PM   #26

Pics attached :

Excuse the "Night time pics" I can add a better pic of the base plate when the sun is seen again LOL
Attached Thumbnails
Break Cable.jpg   Dash Box.jpg   Switch Loc.jpg   TowBar.jpg  
Old 01-31-2019, 10:50 PM   #27

We have the Readybrute elite system and we haven't found it easy to use at all. Usually it takes us over an hour to hook up everything, trying to figure out if we have all the wires and cables hooked up right. The brake cable is hard to adjust so we just leave it looser than it should be. When you start towing the car, usually one arm remains locked with the other fully extended. Then you have to remove the tow bar and try to get the car perfectly aligned before trying again. The instructional guides and videos from NSA are very general and unhelpful. They are intended for those doing the installation of the system more than the average consumer trying to hook up his car. NSA of Inola, KS. is the tow bar manufacturer and they installed our system. There are no dealers that I could find in Oklahoma to get help or provide service after the sale. That's the biggest disadvantage of buying this particular tow bar and braking system.
maprice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2019, 11:46 PM   #28

I love our Ready-Brute, only take about 5-10 minutes to hook up and be on the road. One thing you have to remember with a surge brake system is when the towing vehicle slows or brakes and the toad brakes apply it will it will slightly lighten up the toad braking so you should never actually worry about the toad brakes locking up unless the emergency safety is activated. It’s a balancing act that takes care of itself.

Rustynuts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2019, 10:23 PM   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by maprice View Post
We have the Readybrute elite system and we haven't found it easy to use at all. Usually it takes us over an hour to hook up everything, trying to figure out if we have all the wires and cables hooked up right. The brake cable is hard to adjust so we just leave it looser than it should be. When you start towing the car, usually one arm remains locked with the other fully extended. Then you have to remove the tow bar and try to get the car perfectly aligned before trying again. The instructional guides and videos from NSA are very general and unhelpful. They are intended for those doing the installation of the system more than the average consumer trying to hook up his car. NSA of Inola, KS. is the tow bar manufacturer and they installed our system. There are no dealers that I could find in Oklahoma to get help or provide service after the sale. That's the biggest disadvantage of buying this particular tow bar and braking system.
I'm really sorry you have problems with your setup...

As said by almost everyone using this system , it's one of the easiest to hookup and use. X2 on the looser brake cable, as I set mine too tight and snapped the bracket off the second time I towed (It was my wife's fault....at least thats what I tell her LOL....it was her first attempt at the driving the MH with the car in tow haha)

I can honestly say, 5-8 minutes hookup and check, and less than five minutes to disconnect... the more you use it the more second nature and faster it becomes...I reckon I'm looking at 2-3 minutes hookup and check and same to disconnect as I get more trips out under my belt.

I have found to lock in better, I hook up the clevises and instead of pulling the camper forward, I pull the car backward just a touch turning the wheel in opposite directions until I hear the locking "Clicks"...then get out and check the arms to make sure. This way I can do it much easier by myself.