Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 04-13-2018, 06:17 AM   #1

Dinghy towing for the first time today....

So, never done it, gonna try out my setup today on the way to the campground... Have the Readybrute Elite, and have adjusted everything to specs (I think). Left 2" slack in brake cable.

My only worry at this point is my Traverse brake pedal appears to travel less distance than the actuator arm pulls. Arm pulls about 2.5" and the pedal only moves about 2". Am I overthinking the situation? Or do I need more slack?

My fear is the brake applying, and due to the restraint of the pedal, my cable breaking or slipping at the connections....or even breaking off the brake pedal due to the cheap metal stuff is made with.

Any encouraging words? Or tips from experience with this fear/situation?

WannaGo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2018, 06:24 AM   #2

What ever you do don't back up. Take the camper and car to a big parking lot and figure out your turning radius. If you ever get in a bad situation where you need to back up stop take your time and disconnect the car. Other then that flat towing is easy the car just follows right behind.

Greyhawk01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2018, 06:29 AM   #3

Got the "Don't back up!" thing down packed....will disconnect before doing it for sure.

But ya think the cable should have more slack? Or leave it and see how it does. It said to leave enough to allow 2" travel up and down....and I did that ...but I dunno...I guess we'll just have to see! LOL
Old 04-13-2018, 06:52 AM   #4

Testing In a large parking lot should help you understand how the system works. My RVi2 system has a “manual” test button that activates the break manually I run that test every time we start out. I am not familiar with your setup. Does it have a way to test?
2014 Jeep Grand Cherokee
Gma-n-Gpa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2018, 07:34 AM   #5

No, can't manually test from what I can tell, takes the full weight of the vehicle to force the arm forward on the brake I'm not strong enough. I have an extra cable, if it snaps for some strange reason...and I should definitely be able to tell if the car locks up brakes when it activates... I imagine as long as its not locking brakes, and I can feel a slight tug as braking (I also have the lil tattle tale red brake light wired up on the dash) that everything is OK....I'll be having my backup cam on 24/7 as well.

I'm probably overthinking and over analyzing, as I always do! But I just want it to be right....don't need any costly repairs due to a simple quick adjustment I could have made...
Old 04-13-2018, 07:35 AM   #6

We too are new to flat towing. We just had our local RV dealer do the install on our Ford Edge and only drove home (25 miles) thus far. We are using a Blue Ox setup (tow bar, base plate and Patriot II brake system). As part of the setup, our brake system self calibrates with the Edge brake pedal each time its placed in our vehicle. Plus the Patriot II has an RF controller in the coach with info and a manual BRAKE button for and extra kick if needed. I too am not familiar with your setup, but the installer should have given you some guidance on how to adjust if needed.

2018 Greyhawk 29MV
2017 Ford Edge w/Blue Ox Setup
To Yosemite... and Beyond!
MrJackSprat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2018, 07:41 AM   #7

Sounds like you should be ready to go. Aux braking systems should be pretty much plug and play.

Safe travels
2014 Jeep Grand Cherokee
Gma-n-Gpa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2018, 07:42 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrJackSprat View Post
I too am not familiar with your setup, but the installer should have given you some guidance on how to adjust if needed.

Well, I did ask the installer, but I didn't give myself any useful information....

I did it all myself...confident in everything except that darn brake cable...I guess I'll be posting either many happy smileys, or a few angry face smileys with some kinda of repair list after my update on it tonight when I get to the campground....
Old 04-13-2018, 09:10 AM   #9

If youre not comfortable with the 2 inches of slack as they say to do in the instructions,call Ready brute and ask for guidence from the people who make the tow bar ,this way youre getting the proper info from the manufacturer.
I also believe there is u tube videos on the install.
Good luck ! Personally I think your 2" as instructed should be right on.
Safe travels
submariner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2018, 06:35 PM   #10

I’m still in the process of getting my toad set up but I saw a good tip on another forum. Normally the toad cannot be viewed with your rear view mirrors except when turning but you are able to see it with your rear view camera. A suggestion was made to tie a piece of white cloth to the top of the steering wheel prior to starting out. When viewing the toad through your rear view camera you can see whether or not the front wheels follow the MH during turns by watching the position of the white mark on the steering wheel. Provides a level of comfort knowing that the power steering of the toad is engaged.