Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 04-13-2018, 06:17 AM   #1

Dinghy towing for the first time today....

So, never done it, gonna try out my setup today on the way to the campground... Have the Readybrute Elite, and have adjusted everything to specs (I think). Left 2" slack in brake cable.

My only worry at this point is my Traverse brake pedal appears to travel less distance than the actuator arm pulls. Arm pulls about 2.5" and the pedal only moves about 2". Am I overthinking the situation? Or do I need more slack?

My fear is the brake applying, and due to the restraint of the pedal, my cable breaking or slipping at the connections....or even breaking off the brake pedal due to the cheap metal stuff is made with.

Any encouraging words? Or tips from experience with this fear/situation?
WannaGo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2018, 06:24 AM   #2

What ever you do don't back up. Take the camper and car to a big parking lot and figure out your turning radius. If you ever get in a bad situation where you need to back up stop take your time and disconnect the car. Other then that flat towing is easy the car just follows right behind.
Greyhawk01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2018, 06:29 AM   #3

Got the "Don't back up!" thing down packed....will disconnect before doing it for sure.

But ya think the cable should have more slack? Or leave it and see how it does. It said to leave enough to allow 2" travel up and down....and I did that ...but I dunno...I guess we'll just have to see! LOL
Old 04-13-2018, 06:52 AM   #4

Testing In a large parking lot should help you understand how the system works. My RVi2 system has a “manual” test button that activates the break manually I run that test every time we start out. I am not familiar with your setup. Does it have a way to test?
2014 Jeep Grand Cherokee
Gma-n-Gpa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2018, 07:34 AM   #5

No, can't manually test from what I can tell, takes the full weight of the vehicle to force the arm forward on the brake I'm not strong enough. I have an extra cable, if it snaps for some strange reason...and I should definitely be able to tell if the car locks up brakes when it activates... I imagine as long as its not locking brakes, and I can feel a slight tug as braking (I also have the lil tattle tale red brake light wired up on the dash) that everything is OK....I'll be having my backup cam on 24/7 as well.

I'm probably overthinking and over analyzing, as I always do! But I just want it to be right....don't need any costly repairs due to a simple quick adjustment I could have made...
Old 04-13-2018, 07:35 AM   #6

We too are new to flat towing. We just had our local RV dealer do the install on our Ford Edge and only drove home (25 miles) thus far. We are using a Blue Ox setup (tow bar, base plate and Patriot II brake system). As part of the setup, our brake system self calibrates with the Edge brake pedal each time its placed in our vehicle. Plus the Patriot II has an RF controller in the coach with info and a manual BRAKE button for and extra kick if needed. I too am not familiar with your setup, but the installer should have given you some guidance on how to adjust if needed.
2017 Ford Edge w/Blue Ox Setup
To Yosemite... and Beyond!
MrJackSprat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2018, 07:41 AM   #7

Sounds like you should be ready to go. Aux braking systems should be pretty much plug and play.

Safe travels
2014 Jeep Grand Cherokee
Gma-n-Gpa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2018, 07:42 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrJackSprat View Post
I too am not familiar with your setup, but the installer should have given you some guidance on how to adjust if needed.

Well, I did ask the installer, but I didn't give myself any useful information....

I did it all myself...confident in everything except that darn brake cable...I guess I'll be posting either many happy smileys, or a few angry face smileys with some kinda of repair list after my update on it tonight when I get to the campground....
Old 04-13-2018, 09:10 AM   #9

If youre not comfortable with the 2 inches of slack as they say to do in the instructions,call Ready brute and ask for guidence from the people who make the tow bar ,this way youre getting the proper info from the manufacturer.
I also believe there is u tube videos on the install.
Good luck ! Personally I think your 2" as instructed should be right on.
Safe travels
submariner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2018, 06:35 PM   #10

I’m still in the process of getting my toad set up but I saw a good tip on another forum. Normally the toad cannot be viewed with your rear view mirrors except when turning but you are able to see it with your rear view camera. A suggestion was made to tie a piece of white cloth to the top of the steering wheel prior to starting out. When viewing the toad through your rear view camera you can see whether or not the front wheels follow the MH during turns by watching the position of the white mark on the steering wheel. Provides a level of comfort knowing that the power steering of the toad is engaged.
Old 04-14-2018, 05:28 AM   #11

Well, we made it! Everything on the Readybrute worked as intended and was a BREEZE to hookup and disconnect...brake cable never gave the problems I fretted about and the RV pulled that big ole Traverse like it wasnt even back there! I had to check the camera to make sure a few times LOL!:
Attached Thumbnails
IMG-20180413-WA0112.jpg   IMG-20180413-WA0088.jpg   IMG-20180413-WA0082.jpg  
Old 04-14-2018, 09:40 PM   #12

I am running a ReadyBrute on my 2016 Jeep Cherokee for about 7K miles so far. I left a bit of extra slack in....2.5 to 3 inches if I remember right. The RB has a lot of leeway in it for applying pull to the cable, so the main worry is having it too tight, so leaving it a tad loose is perfectly fine. I found I was checking my toad brakes for heat every time I stopped and while they were warm (from the stop) they were never hot. I love my Ready Brake.
jd99336 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2018, 05:34 AM   #13

Well, it did pretty good, although I may have too much slack...I noticed my brake light on the dash coming on while just letting off the gas a few time and staying on until I hit the gas again. Makes me wonder if my Traverse is heavy enough to roll forward as I let off the gas in the RV, and even when the brake is applied on the RB, it isn't enough to apply the toad brake because there is too much slack. Just a ponder.....but I may tighten a bit on the way home today.
Old 04-15-2018, 07:08 AM   #14

I like the ready brute but I was a little concerned on how to run the cable frow the tow bar into the cab of my jeep wrangler so I went with the blue ox and patriot brake system.
I trailored a boat with surge brakes and it really worked out well.Like your ready brute it was all mechinical. With the brakeing systems on the market if the componant fails electrically lots of bad things can happen.I think you made a good choice.
submariner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2018, 02:01 PM   #15

I agree Submariner, i didn't adjust it coming home (due to pressure to get home because of a 4 hr problem with my leveling jacks ...will continue that saga on another thread) but it seemed to work just fine and I don't think I will adjust it at this point. I'm very happy with it, but I will be picking up a hitch derattler very soon, that is my only complaint and that's not with the ReadyBrute system...
Old 04-15-2018, 06:49 PM   #16

Wannago, just make sure to get the derattler from readybrute. Other brands may interfere with readybrute surge brake action. Ask me how I know.
Also, your brake line slack looks about right. If you get it too tight you may get brakes on when turning. But I would take up the slack in your emergency “red” line, don’t want it to snag on something going down the road.
rogerthedodger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2018, 04:00 PM   #17

Whew, Rogerthedodger, at $40, I might look into finding a way to make one instead...LOL but will look into it! Thanks....
Old 05-16-2018, 08:20 PM   #18

Quote:
We too are new to flat towing. We just had our local RV dealer do the install on our Ford Edge and only drove home (25 miles) thus far. We are using a Blue Ox setup (tow bar, base plate and Patriot II brake system). As part of the setup, our brake system self calibrates with the Edge brake pedal each time its placed in our vehicle. Plus the Patriot II has an RF controller in the coach with info and a manual BRAKE button for and extra kick if needed. I too am not familiar with your setup, but the installer should have given you some guidance on how to adjust if needed.
Do you still like the patriot ll setup?

Does the toad require a supplemental vacuum system for the brake booster?
GeorgeM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2018, 08:31 PM   #19

GeorgeM, yep works as designed and we are satisfied. Unit has electric actuator that depresses brake pedal. I believe works from momentum shift (pendulum) when braking. Minimal installation inside the Edge. Dealer installed the breakaway plug and full-time 12V plug under dash (Ford recommends disconnecting Negative battery terminal when towing) - nothing more.

Takes less than a minute to plug in and calibrate and done. Plus easy removal when not needed. Drove from Chicago to Mississippi and back a couple of weeks ago and all went well. Good informative video on YouTube.
2017 Ford Edge w/Blue Ox Setup
To Yosemite... and Beyond!
MrJackSprat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2018, 09:11 PM   #20

Quote:
GeorgeM, yep works as designed and we are satisfied. Unit has electric actuator that depresses brake pedal. I believe works from momentum shift (pendulum) when braking. Minimal installation inside the Edge. Dealer installed the breakaway plug and full-time 12V plug under dash (Ford recommends disconnecting Negative battery terminal when towing) - nothing more.

Takes less than a minute to plug in and calibrate and done. Plus easy removal when not needed. Drove from Chicago to Mississippi and back a couple of weeks ago and all went well. Good informative video on YouTube.
We also have the Patriot II Aux Braking system. I'm happy with it. We had the Brake Buddy system on other motorhome setups in the past. It used air pressure and a internal pump to mash the actuator against the brake pedal.

The Patriot II uses a electric actuator to mash the brake pedal. Same basic system just different actuators.

Like Jack ours has been flawless. I like the portability and easy hookup. It can be moved from one vehicle to another easily.

Thing about these braking systems you want to be careful of is not to get them set so sensitive that your toad is doing the biggest part of braking for your rig. You will be buying brake pads and rotors in short order.

I have mine set to where if i am just slowing down the Jeep brakes don't even come into play. Only when stopping.

Funny thing is we had a Class C back in the early 80's and these didn't exist. Your E450 Chassis is more than capable of stopping safely with a toad behind.

Do I feel safer with the Patriot??? You bet I do! That emergency stop is always just right around the corner and I want all I can get!
cabinetmaker is offline   Reply With Quote