Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 12-02-2017, 05:16 PM   #1

Direct programing

Does anyone receive the east-west coast feeds from direct when you travel and who do you talk to at direct to get it set up. We will be traveling around the country next year doing mission work and some places we cannot receive over the air tv
cwporter2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2017, 01:22 PM   #2

I don't think the FCC allows DirecTV to give you access to more than one market at a time, so no east-west feeds at the same time.

We did a 3,000 mile trip this fall, from Seattle to Utah to Oregon, and at each major stop, we called DirecTV customer service and had them update our address to the new location so we could get local networks. We could not receive Seattle networks while in Utah - something about the location on the satellite was not accessible (not sure why, but if we could have stayed with Seattle stations, we would have).

Ease of changing the service address varied with the rep on the phone. The first guy was great. The second was annoying, the third was down-right DIFFICULT. Getting the service back to our BILLING address was the hardest one to do??

Just remember your LAST service address when you ask them to change it to a new one. They need to know you are who you say you are (based on where you were last)... even when changing it back to the BILLING address, they grilled me on where our last campground was, and didn't like my answer when I said "somewhere in Oregon". <sigh>

I'd say plan on 20-30 minutes on the phone to update the DirecTV to a new location, and you should be good to go. We've been with DirecTV for 20 years now... and overall are very happy with them.
crumgater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2017, 01:32 PM   #3

Less than 5 minutes on DISH

On Dish your location is updated for the local channels using the zip code ( no address needed ) but your billing address doesn't change - your telephone number and 4 digit password verifies who you are and usually 3 - 5 minutes on the phone and less than 15 minutes until the programming is updated - reading about you guys difficulties makes me glad that I have Dish and no contract so I can stop service if the Campground has cable or trees ( also less than 5 minutes on the phone )

Les & Sandy
2016 Seneca HJ - Scangauge D - Truma Comfort
560 watts solar - Blue Sky 3024iL -IPN ProRemote - Trojan T-105RE
Good Sam Life Member - FMCA Member - Passport America
Les7h is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2017, 01:41 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by crumgater View Post
I don't think the FCC allows DirecTV to give you access to more than one market at a time, so no east-west feeds at the same time.
They will as long as you have a RV only account.

There is a seperate charge for each coast's networks(LA &NY).When we set up our account we had to mail/fax a copy of our registration along with the application for the networks.

They cannot give you the E/W networks if you only have a residential account, that is how DISH lost the priviledge.

They will also change your location zip so you can get locals for no charge, just like DISH does.
Grumpy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2017, 02:29 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by cwporter2 View Post
Does anyone receive the east-west coast feeds from direct when you travel and who do you talk to at direct to get it set up. We will be traveling around the country next year doing mission work and some places we cannot receive over the air tv
Direct does not provide any local channels while on the road, all other programing remains unchanged. No call is required once the receiver is setup with Direct TV.
Old 12-08-2017, 03:01 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by curbhugger View Post
Direct does not provide any local channels while on the road, all other programing remains unchanged. No call is required once the receiver is setup with Direct TV.
Yes they do as long as it's for a fairly long stay.
Old 12-08-2017, 04:21 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grumpy View Post
Yes they do as long as it's for a fairly long stay.
Local channels as related to home billing zip code, can't receive these channels outside of the home area from my experience with Direct?
Old 12-08-2017, 05:18 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by curbhugger View Post
Local channels as related to home billing zip code, can't receive these channels outside of the home area from my experience with Direct?
You can change the "service address" seperate from billing address. Did it on a regular.basis.
Old 12-08-2017, 07:05 PM   #9

Quote:
You can change the "service address" seperate from billing address. Did it on a regular.basis.
Yep, that's what we did... and we changed the service address 3x in 10 days without "too" much hassle. It was my first foray into changing the service address... so now that I know what info to have at the ready when calling in, I expect it to go smoother.

Didn't know you could get an RV account with DirectTV and get the East/West feeds... good to know!
crumgater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2017, 07:49 PM   #10

Quote:
They will as long as you have a RV only account.

There is a seperate charge for each coast's networks(LA &NY).When we set up our account we had to mail/fax a copy of our registration along with the application for the networks.

They cannot give you the E/W networks if you only have a residential account, that is how DISH lost the priviledge.

They will also change your location zip so you can get locals for no charge, just like DISH does.
Will investigate $$ for a DirectTV/ATT RV account, currently we just pay for an extra receiver. Thanks, good to know.
Old 12-09-2017, 08:57 AM   #11

I was told that even with my RV account I had to choose either east of west coast, but not both. They used to offer both, but not anymore unless that has changed.

I have DNS for my networks. All of my network programs that I watch are always on the same channel numbers which makes traveling with Direct easy. Local programming where I might be doesn't interest me.

2006 GMC 2500HD CCSB 4x4 Duramax/Allison, Titan 52 gallon fuel tank, Prodigy Controller, B&W Companion Hitch
2010 Jayco Designer 35RLTS, Cummins/Onan RV QG 5500 EVAP, Progressive Industries EMS-PT50X, TST Systems 507 TPMS, RV Flex Armor Roof
edatlanta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2017, 11:00 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by edatlanta View Post
I was told that even with my RV account I had to choose either east of west coast, but not both. They used to offer both, but not anymore unless that has changed.
I'd had DIRECT RV account so long (2001) that I had both till we sold the FW, so things did change.
Old 12-11-2017, 01:41 PM   #13

We have cut the satellite service. Tired of both of them and their fees. We changed out our tv's to smart tv's and access the Vue tv service through the internet. As long as you have cell service you can use your phone as a hot spot . We get the locals and premium for 48 bucks a month no additional fees. We have Verizon so the unlimited data is great. Just another option if you camp like us within cell service.
Dcarl569 is offline   Reply With Quote