Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 08-05-2015, 02:26 PM   #1

Disappointing

Good day. I recently purchased a brand new 2016 Jayco Seneca. On the whole, I have been happy with the many upgrades made. However, for anyone considering such a purchase I would strongly suggest the following:

1.) Cabinet drawers: After having a 2012, I can definitely attest this an area they have gone cheap on. On my first trip out, my drawers literally starting falling apart. Poor construction and cheap materials. Demand a better product.

2.) And while they have added air brakes and suspensions they do not include an air dryer in the air system. In other words, the system is pulling in air and hoping the purge valves evacuates any moisture. I took my unit to Freightliner, they strong encouraged the installation of an air dyer, and if not installed will have nothing but problems as they system rusts from the inside out. Thus, I spent $1,700 to have one installed. The dealer was quite clear in stating they have never seen such a unit without a dryer. Again, cheap in the wrong places.

On the whole, I have been happy with my new unit. I simply expected more from a $240,000 motorhome.

By the by, my dealership was Jim's Trailer Sales in Grafton, Ohio (1-800-394-JIMS). They have been awesome and gave me the best deal anywhere in the US. BUY FROM THEM if looking for a Seneca.

Tom
tchristopher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2015, 07:55 PM   #2

Yea, the interior trim work looks good. The techs. Should take more time in putting everything together. A little glue, and nail placement would help. Do your air tanks have bleeders for water draining? This should be done daily.
Mwade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2015, 09:00 AM   #3

I have a '14 37TS that I purchased new this past March. Only had it on two trips so far (approx 5K miles total) but I thought my ride in the cab was pretty good. I also have found my hydraulic brakes to be very adequate (so far). Anyone have any idea why Jayco went to a full air brake system? Did they change the GVWR/GCWR making the hydraulic brakes inadequate? I cannot find much difference in the specs online, but perhaps they have not yet fully updated the 2016 website. Do the air seats make a big difference?

Speaking as a retired career firefighter who drove vehicles with air brakes for 33+ years, please make sure any potential drivers of air brake-equipped rigs have a good understanding of how air brakes operate, and specifically how they are different from regular "juice" brakes. Not knowing their peculiarities and inadvertently depleting your air at speed can lead to real trouble.

In the commercial world anyone driving an air brake-equipped vehicle (generally) has to have a CDL, with the associated training/testing required to demonstrate their knowledge of air brakes. But we as RV'rs are exempt from CDL requirements in most every jurisdiction I am aware of.

Safety first always and enjoy!
Robbbyr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2015, 09:42 PM   #4

In most states, if not all, the requirement for a special license is set by the MH's GVWR, usually anything over 26,000 lbs, i.e., 26001 and over. The Seneca's GVWR is 28,000 which means that a special license is required. The dealers usually lie on the title application and put in the vehicle's wet weight so if stopped by law enforcement you appear legal. However, you may be exposed legally in the case of an accident.

I have a class B license.

2019 Renegade Valencia 38RW
Gone: 2015 Jayco Seneca / 2010 Tiffin RED / ...
Toads: 2016 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited / 2012 Kia Soul
WaltW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2015, 07:20 AM   #5

In most states a CDL is not required for RVs, please see the accompanying link which generally outlines the various state's operator's license requirements.

RV Driver's License Requirements
Old 08-10-2015, 11:11 AM   #6

Robbyr, your response may be misleading. In TX the CDL's are A and B and so are the RV driver's licenses - they are all A or B on the driver's license but one is a CDL and one is not.

The written and oral (at the time of driver's test) tests are the same (at least in TX). The materials used to prepare are the same. Some testing locations cut you some slack if you have an RV, others make you go through the same stuff that a big rig driver goes through.

No you may not be required to have a CDL but you may need a class A or B license based on your states requirements. If you have a gasser Jayco class C you don't have to worry about it. If you have a Seneca your GVWR is over 26,000 lbs and you should be considering the class B license.

With the addition of air brakes in 2016, Seneca drivers must be familiar with those systems - how they work and how to test them.

2019 Renegade Valencia 38RW
Gone: 2015 Jayco Seneca / 2010 Tiffin RED / ...
Toads: 2016 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited / 2012 Kia Soul
WaltW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2015, 12:40 PM   #7

But the list does show most states do not require a "SPECIAL" license for a RV with air or over GCVWR of 26,001.

With that said I personally feel they all should. Too many people drive their car to an RV dealer and drive home in a 42' diesel pusher when they can barely even drive a car safely.

Yep, I'm a bit prejudiced I have a "class A" CDL..
Old 08-10-2015, 02:11 PM   #8

I agree with Grumpy, there are some folk who should not be piloting large RVs without having some sort of training and competency testing. Any of us who have been RVing for a time have seen (or at least heard firsthand) of a situation where an inexperienced driver got into trouble with a big unit.

However regarding the required license, I defer back to my link and the various state's requirements. In Ohio (and many other states) IT DOES NOT MATTER HOW LARGE OR HEAVY IT IS, SO LONG AS IT IS BUILT AND LICENSED AS A RECREATIONAL VEHICLE, you only need a regular operator's license. No dealer lied or "fudged" any paperwork regarding my unit to make anyone think it was legal. Your particular state may be different and if they have tighter licensing restrictions, good for them!

I drove fire trucks for 33 years, so I am very comfortable with heavy truck systems. I do not have a CDL because firefighters are also exempt in most states! But I did receive regular training and internal testing to ensure I knew how to operate a big rig with the potential to wipe out anything in its path. I retired early this year as Fire Chief, and I made sure that training was ongoing for every member.

So I come back to my point that license required or not, it is critical that driver's have the requisite training and skills to drive the unit they intend to. But because (most) states have exempted motorhomes, it falls to the individual to seek a means to acquire that knowledge. Flawed? Probably.