Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 05-26-2019, 08:57 AM   #1

Dish Tailgater Satellite Hook-up

We have a 2016 Grayhawk. We just purchased a Dish Tailgater satellite. It works fine if I hook it directly to the receiver with the coax running thru the front door but when I hook it to the connection in the cargo compartment located where the shore power cord is I cannot get a signal. Any idea what I am doing wrong?
Mcspaho1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2019, 10:08 AM   #2

I’m not sure on the Grayhawk but I believe that is for the cable hookup at the campground.

2016 Seneca HJ
2004 Wrangler
Mountain Cajun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2019, 10:45 AM   #3

Very possible it’s bad wiring, or too many splitters, in the rig. I ended up running a new dedicated satellite wire to the receiver as I got tired of dealing with the issues.
robkelly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2019, 06:39 PM   #4

On the last page of the book for your Pathway X2 is a picture showing the necessary jumper. Pathway allows for two Wally's but not at the same outside connector. I ran a separate coaxial from the bedroom tv to the flushing port where my water hose passes through.

E-9 Anchor Clanker
Full timers since 2010
2017 North Point 381 DLQS
2015 F-250 6.7 w/Timbrens
DonaandDon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2019, 06:49 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by robkelly View Post
Very possible it’s bad wiring, or too many splitters, in the rig. I ended up running a new dedicated satellite wire to the receiver as I got tired of dealing with the issues.
Robkelly. Could you share how you routed your coax?
Mcspaho1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2019, 07:37 AM   #6

I had a 2015 Sunseeker and in its entertainment er...ah ... section it had 3 coax connections, with two of them jumpered together. All of this was fed through a switch that turned on the power to the digital antenna.

When I first hooked up my tailgater, like you, I could not get a signal through to the TV. I ended up going to home depot and getting a 50' spool of cheap wire. At one end I stripped it back about 6 inches and wrapped it around the threads of the coax inlet port then taped it in place. Then I drug that piece of wire around to all of the other coax ports and tested with an ohm meter.

What I found out was the jumper in the entertainment section was in the wrong place and that I had extremely high resistance going to the port next to the man door of the rig. My outside TV connection was useless. I pulled a piece of panel off under the stove behind the big pots and pan drawer and found the splitter there was improperly wired.

What I did after that was draw a diagram of my motorhome internal coax runs. If you have the time and can use an ohm meter this might be the best way to determine what goes where.

Ender on the road is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2019, 05:22 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mcspaho1 View Post
Robkelly. Could you share how you routed your coax?
Our entertainment center is in the off door slide. Under the slide I found the wiring loom and fished an end of the cable through that hole and up to the entertainment center. Sealed the hole up well when I was done. I then followed the wiring loom back to the frame so I knew it would bend properly without linking when the slide opened and closed. From there it was follow the frame up to the connection in the utility bay. On the back of the bay I replaced the factory connection with my new wire.

By doing this we no longer have the option of satellite in the bedroom, but not a big deal for us as we don’t use it in there anyway.
robkelly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2019, 05:48 AM   #8

If you have the TV booster switch on the cable will not work correctly
che57vy is offline   Reply With Quote