Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 11-14-2015, 07:32 AM   #1

Dishes and such

Since I am new to the world of RVing which I am very excited to join, I wonder how you stabilize dishes/glases/etc in cabinets while traveling. My common sense tells me little baskets but just curious what everyone does. I can't wait to take my first trip at New Years and want to be prepared. Hope to crank everything up tomorrow for a ride around town!!
Charlene20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2015, 07:39 AM   #2

We use essentially only plastic dishware and drinking glasses/cups, and we don't really do anything to stabilize them in the cabinet. They have been no problem so far. As for breakable foodstuffs, we do put them in plastic baskets in the pantry cupboard, again no problem.
the major warning is to be very careful the first time you open the refrigerator door after being on the road - that is where we have had stuff fall out and break.

If I had anything better to do I would be doing it :)
snowbird47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2015, 07:49 AM   #3

In our htt we primarily use plastic dishes, no baskets, as I have not found ones that fit our dish cabinet well. They are a jumbled mess. Spices and like we do use low wall baskets. In the pantry were pay attention to how things are packed so things do not move.

When you open a door expect 5hings to want to fall out, get in the habit of opening them really slowly and catching something.

We have only rented MHs the sounds of pots and pans rattling drove us nuts. We put paper plates and towels between the pots to quiet them down.

2012 Jayco X23B
2020 Ram Laramie 3500 SRW Air ride 50Gal fuel tank.
2007 Dodge Dakota Quad Cab (sold)
Equal-I-zer 4-Point Sway Control
Jagiven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2015, 08:04 AM   #4

We mostly use paper plates but for coffee we need real cups! I put ours in plastic baskets I got at Dollar Tree. Heavy stuff gets stored in lower drawers/cabinets as I don't know how much weight the newer cabinets will tolerate. Silverware is stored in a lower drawer in a flat plastic container with lid that I found at WalMart. Just be careful when you open your cabinet/frig doors when you get to your destination. A lot of things shift around while traveling. You kind of have to use trial and error in what works best for you in getting your things set up. That's part of the fun of it all. Happy RVing!
gloryb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2015, 08:17 AM   #5

We use plastic ware as well. And honestly, have had no problems. We drove 4 hours to a CG..got there..and the dishes were in their original spot...untouched! Don't know why but I'll take it! My wife has also lined the cabinets and that seems to keep things from sliding. But really don't use anything special.
W/Air Lift air bags (front & rear)
Equal-I-Zer™ WDH & B&W Companion
TWP723 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2015, 08:37 AM   #6

Corelle, then you never have to worry about them breaking in the cupboard. If you want real glasses instead of plastic (sometimes I just want a real one) I wrap them in that stuff you put on the bottom of the cupboard.
https://fivejustrolling.blogspot.com/
Ken&Ruth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2015, 09:35 AM   #7

Plastic dishes for us. Only breakable stuff for us is a glass casserole dish(lives in bottom cabinet, on the floor) and a Pampered Chef flat stone (lives wrapped in a towel in the stove). The rubber net type shelf liner can help keep stuff from sliding as much in cabinets.
Old 11-14-2015, 11:50 AM   #8

Charlene20, since you are posting in the class C section, I assume you have some sort of MH. Answers will vary by type of RV. Rear kitchen TT's and 5W's bounce a lot and stuff will fall out when cabinets are opened. Plus, you don't hear the carnage while under way. In a MH you will hear the clinking and banging (if any) and will quickly decide what you need to do. A MH won't bounce as much as the TT's and 5W's. That said, baskets of some sort will require that you lift dishes out. Might be a nuisance for the shorter person. We use Corelle dishes and just stack them in the cabinet. Cabinets are lined with that rubbery shelf liner. Wine glasses are Lexan. Juice glasses are plastic.

Enjoy!

2019 Renegade Valencia 38RW
Gone: 2015 Jayco Seneca / 2010 Tiffin RED / ...
Toads: 2016 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited / 2012 Kia Soul
WaltW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2015, 11:54 AM   #9

We use paper plates or the very light plastic type material plates and plastic glassware/mugs, etc. We like the Tervis brand stuff as it's guaranteed for life, just send it back and get a new replacement. We don't hear too much noise from the dishes and such, the other rattles and noise drown out that with ease. LOL
Equalizer WDH
TV 2018 F150 FX4 SC 3.5EB TP/MT
jimp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2015, 02:15 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken&Ruth View Post
Corelle, then you never have to worry about them breaking in the cupboard. If you want real glasses instead of plastic (sometimes I just want a real one) I wrap them in that stuff you put on the bottom of the cupboard.
x2. Our Corelle travel fantastically for they are light and durable; if you are concerned, you can separate them with CHEAP paper plates. Always have on hand a stash of paper (not foam, think of the environment impact) products for when you can't or don't have time to wash dishes.

Genealogy Community Social Group Moderator
Hattie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2015, 02:38 PM   #11

Send a message via Skype™ to ALJO
If the kitchen is above the axle's it doesn't bounce as much. We had a 5er with the kitchen in the rear that was another story.

We use also Correlle and stands up good. For food items we use baskets and plastic containers.
Pro Series 1200 lbs. WDH with Double Sway Bar.
Champion 3100/2800 watt Inverter/Generator-Onboard Solar Power
ALJO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2015, 03:58 PM   #12
Site Team

DW uses refrigerator bars (see picture) for the fridge shelves, cabinet shelves and plastic bins (with slide out drawers) to store food cans, snacks, rice/oatmeal.... in. We got the drawers from Walmart. Some kind of non-stick material on each shelf. Never have anything falling out on us after we get to our destination.
Don
Attached Thumbnails
RV drawers.jpg   Fridge Bars.jpg  
Mustang65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2015, 07:01 PM   #13

My DW uses that spongey shelf liner you can find at Walmart or Camping World. And she puts it in between the dishes, pot & pans, etc. Also she said she puts cheap paper plates in between the dishes.

2016 Jayco Greyhawk 29MV
wwachsman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2015, 07:57 PM   #14

I have Corelle dishes, some glass glasses too. My kitchen is directly over the axles (never considered that, but makes sense). Never had a problem. I have sticky rubber matting in the cabinet bottoms to keep things from moving.
SmokerBill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2015, 08:14 PM   #15
WDW

Go to a restaurant supply store and get the non breakable melmenine plates and bowls. We also use the huge French fry boats fir lots of meals.

Formerly 31FK 15 Grayhawk
Toad: 2015 Jeep Cherokee "The Caboose".

Taking in the sights wherever my Trolley takes me!
WDW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2015, 11:39 PM   #16

We have Corelle dishes and we store them in a Stack-a-Plate holder available from camping world. We lined the some of the cabinets with the padded shelf liner and when traveling turn our mugs upside down so they have the widest surface to rest on.
Stack-a-Plate
Stack-a-Plate
Stack-a-Plate

'12 F250 Ford Super Crew
'15 Jayco Eagle 338RETS
thodgson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2015, 07:39 AM   #17

Thanks to all for your help. I can't wait to get moving!! Today will be my day to practice backing her up and taking another ride before hitting the road for New Years!!
Charlene20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2015, 07:42 AM   #18

We also use Corelle dishes. Found some clear plastic bins that were actually called shoe bins but fit perfectly in the cupboards. I use them for the "small stuff". I have one that holds everything I need to make coffee, for instance, just pull it out and everything I need is in the same place. I moved everything around a few times before I found what worked for me. Still not happy with my wineglasses and have to find a solution for them. I find the acrylic glasses too tippy and I'd rather drink it than wear it!
Harreec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2015, 08:37 AM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harreec View Post
Still not happy with my wineglasses and have to find a solution for them. I find the acrylic glasses too tippy and I'd rather drink it than wear it!
Check-out silicone glassware/drink ware - seems to be a coming trend!
Hattie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2015, 10:42 AM   #20

I also have the Corelle in the cupboard's have not had any problem with them, I still carry some paper ones also. Real cups and wine glasses, Keep the wine glasses in the box in the cupboard, only one broke, and that was outside, A friend knock it off the table.
Pots and pans go in the bench under the table, Pull out drawer, and under the sink.
Attached Thumbnails
camping 2015 038.jpg  
annie oakly is offline   Reply With Quote