Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 08-01-2012, 11:59 AM   #21

I was a bit dissappointed that my Greyhawk 31FS came without a spare. Whether or not I change it or not is another debate. I see a need to carry a spare and maintain a spare. Should I not want to gear upto change it myself, atleast a quality spare that I can trust will be there waiting for an appropriatly outfitted road side assistance person to change it.

Can't help but think this was a cost savings as well as a weight savings. 1 Spare carrier, 1 rim and 1 Michelin LTX probably accounts for $500 saved and a couple hundred pounds.

I have thought of the scenerio and the time involved, should I have a flat. By far, having a spare available will decrease the time you are on the roadside.
TX_Arvee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2012, 05:09 PM   #22

I bought a spare and the rim. Peace of mind in case something happens and I am not close to where I can purchase another.
Campergma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2012, 11:56 AM   #23

Campergma. where and how did you mount it. Jayco rep told me not to mount it under the bedroom.
Old 08-15-2012, 10:15 AM   #24

What did Jayco say the issue was with mounting it under the bedroom? There seems to be plenty of room under there.
bgermane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2012, 11:38 AM   #25

They said trash from the rear tires will be thrown into it..Duh. But this is pretty typical for under frame mounts..
Old 08-17-2012, 02:32 PM   #26

Just an update got a new wheel from Colorado Wheel Co, and ordered,a tire and had it mounted/balanced at Costco. Investment was about $300 total. Welding up an under coach rack with a Teca hoist. Weight is really not an issue, the 16" thre and wheel combo is under 90 pounds, a little heavier than a pickup wheel. Peace of mind.
cyclops is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2013, 07:03 AM   #27

after reading some of reply's on here.. my question with the people saying you can carry just a tire minus the wheel and have a commericial tow driver replace the tire at roadside .. How does he balance the wheel before installing it? Does he have equipment on his truck to balance wheels??
rosedan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2013, 12:19 PM   #28

I would think a road side repair is a temporary fix then later would need to be done proper. If you carry a full spare already mounted and balanced, you ar set. If you carry the rim only, than most likely you will end up with a non matching tire.
Old 08-06-2013, 03:48 PM   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by TX_Arvee View Post
I would think a road side repair is a temporary fix then later would need to be done proper. If you carry a full spare already mounted and balanced, you are set. If you carry the rim only, than most likely you will end up with a non matching tire.
I agree that the complete spare is the best solution, but carrying a tire us #2. (TX Arvee:You wouldn't carry the rim, you'd carry a matching tire. The rim should still be good even if the tire shreds.) I would think you could get it balanced later.

I used to do that with my pop-up because I'd blow a tire on almost every trip and then I wouldn't have a spare. I could get the tire mounted on my rim for $5 and I have a good spare. I stated doing that after pay 3-4x the normal price in the middle of nowhere for a new tire
2006 Granite Ridge 2900GS
2015 Montana High Country 345RL
cdrcos@gmail.com is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2013, 03:49 PM   #30

Quote:
Originally Posted by TX_Arvee View Post
I would think a road side repair is a temporary fix then later would need to be done proper. If you carry a full spare already mounted and balanced, you are set. If you carry the rim only, than most likely you will end up with a non matching tire.
I agree that the complete spare is the best solution, but carrying a tire us #2. (TX Arvee:You wouldn't carry the rim, you'd carry a matching tire. The rim should still be good even if the tire shreds.) I would think you could get it balanced later.

I used to do that with my pop-up because I'd blow a tire on almost every trip and then I wouldn't have a spare. I could get the tire mounted on my rim for $5 and I have a good spare. I stated doing that after pay 3-4x the normal price in the middle of nowhere for a new tire
2006 Granite Ridge 2900GS
2015 Montana High Country 345RL
cdrcos@gmail.com is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2013, 09:35 AM   #31

We just traded in our 2004 JayFlight 29BHS and we had a spare we had 4 blown tires in 9 years. When we traded it in for a 2014 Greyhawk we told the dealer "No spare no deal." and the dealer had a spare mounted. It required a subframe beef up to handle the weight that far back. The bonus is I get a 7500# towing rating rather than the 5000# with the stock hitch. They welded a spare tire mount behind the bumper that comes up and out. That way it does not interfere with towing. In short I would not be without a spare!
msturtz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2013, 10:02 AM   #32

Quote:
Originally Posted by msturtz View Post
We just traded in our 2004 JayFlight 29BHS and we had a spare we had 4 blown tires in 9 years. When we traded it in for a 2014 Greyhawk we told the dealer "No spare no deal." and the dealer had a spare mounted. It required a subframe beef up to handle the weight that far back. The bonus is I get a 7500# towing rating rather than the 5000# with the stock hitch. They welded a spare tire mount behind the bumper that comes up and out. That way it does not interfere with towing. In short I would not be without a spare!
I'll be ordering a 2014 Greyhawk soon myself. Can you post a pic of what you had done? What did they charge you for this?
csyrell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2013, 12:02 PM   #33

Our spare is located under the front of our trailer. 2014 Jayco Eagle 308RETS
MacMcD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2013, 09:11 AM   #34

We had a spare tire mount added. I don't want to be stuck somewhere without a tire.
Old 08-20-2013, 07:12 PM   #35

I will post a picture when I get home. The subframe beef up cost about $1300 (including the 7500# receiver hitch) and the spare tire mount was about $300. The subframe beef up is required to handle the weight of the tire that far back. Jayco did not design the frame they install to handle any more weight. Don't let them talk you into just bolting on the spare tire mount because it can cause non-warranty damage to your coach.
Old 08-20-2013, 09:37 PM   #36

Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	59
Size:	40.7 KB
ID:	9510Click image for larger version

Views:	57
Size:	23.9 KB
ID:	9511Click image for larger version

Views:	67
Size:	36.2 KB
ID:	9512
Quote:
Originally Posted by csyrell View Post
I'll be ordering a 2014 Greyhawk soon myself. Can you post a pic of what you had done? What did they charge you for this?
As promised here are the photos.
Old 08-22-2013, 08:43 PM   #37

Re: Do I need a spare tire for a Greyhawk?

Quote:
Attachment 9510Attachment 9511Attachment 9512
As promised here are the photos.
Very nice! Thanks for posting the pics!
csyrell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2013, 12:14 PM   #38

We carry a 125 p.s.i. a/c compressor with us. Just last week I needed it when a valve extension stuck on an outside dual while I was checking the pressure. If we ever have a blowout, etc. I will just call for assistance.
fidalgo66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2013, 10:13 PM   #39

Quote:
I will post a picture when I get home. The subframe beef up cost about $1300 (including the 7500# receiver hitch) and the spare tire mount was about $300. The subframe beef up is required to handle the weight of the tire that far back. Jayco did not design the frame they install to handle any more weight. Don't let them talk you into just bolting on the spare tire mount because it can cause non-warranty damage to your coach.
Not sure I would worry too much about the frame extension on the greyhawk is pretty darn heavy duty, and they do have a 2" receiver hitch back there that I use to pull my CRV. I made my own spare tire mount using some 2" square stock and other misc. steel with a Teca winch. I posted pics here:http://www.jaycoowners.com/showthrea...6526#post96526
Old 09-09-2013, 12:40 AM   #40

Quote:
Originally Posted by cyclops View Post
Not sure I would worry too much about the frame extension on the greyhawk is pretty darn heavy duty, and they do have a 2" receiver hitch back there that I use to pull my CRV. I made my own spare tire mount using some 2" square stock and other misc. steel with a Teca winch. I posted pics here:http://www.jaycoowners.com/showthrea...6526#post96526
I talked with Jayco about it. The subframe beef up is required. You could void your warranty if you mount a spare without it. They did not design the frame extensions to take the weight of a spare tire and steel rim that far back. There is room under the coach between the frame rails just not enough strength. Oh and for the other posters here the Greyhawks (and Redhawks) cannot be towed from the rear for the same reason.