Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 08-10-2011, 09:19 PM   #1

Do I need a spare tire for a Greyhawk?

I have traded my 26BH for a new Greyhawk 31SS. Plan to pick it up Friday. I got to thinking today that I didn't see any sign of a spare tire on it. When I called the salesperson, he said thay no longer come with a spare tire. Is this true? If so, what do I do if I have a flat? If I call for roadside assistance, do they bring a spare tire with them, or do they fix the flat on the spot? I'm confused. If I did have a spare tire, and had no cell phone service, would I even be likely to be able to change the tire myself? What do you all do in case of a flat tire while on the road? Also are all the whees interchangable? eg, will the front wheel fit on the rear? Please excuse my ignorance, if these questions seem elementary.

MichaelD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2011, 07:45 AM   #2

When we got our 31 SS this year I had the same thought but looking back over the 42 years of driving, I have had 2 flat tires in over a million miles of driving so I just play the percentages. But if a spare is what you need, then buy a spare tire without a rim and call a commercial mobile repair service and let them do the work. All the tires are interchangeable and as far and changing it yourself it can be done but is a big job and you need to now buy a jack. Lack of cell service could be a problem but each day the coverage gets better. Life is a risk sometimes. As for any other questions you might have about the Greyhawk this forum is the place to ask.
One thing about you purchase if you are far from the dealer make sure everything works and that he goes over everything about the unit. Having to take it back for warranty work a few hundred miles is not good. Use the manual as your guide for what needs to be covered. I would think that 2 to 4 hours would be normal time. Don't let the dealer rush you. Jayco from what I understand tells the dealer to explain the unit to you.

Congratulations on the new Greyhawk!!!!!! We just did our first long trip, 1600 miles from California to Oregon and Washington and back. The Hawk did fine, no problems what so ever. Life was very comfortable during the 3 weeks. We were told that we would get between 8 and 10 by the dealer but from the forum 8 would be the norm, we got 9.3 and the driving was not all on flat highways. I bought a Scangauge to see what my mileage was and to train my lead foot to keep off the gas. The best mpg as at 57 mph per the gauge and GPS but the speedometer saying 60.
Once again congratulations, your are going to like the Greyhawk!!!!!!!!!

The Hawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2011, 08:51 PM   #3

Our new Melbourne did not come with a spare either. Has space for it but but no mounting gear.
Saleman told me the same thing.
Other members told me that you didn't want to even try to change a tire on a mh.
Who knows !!!
Tom Copeland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2011, 09:15 PM   #4

Jim and Tom,
Thanks for the feedback. I'll depend on roadside assistance and quit worrying about the lack of a spare tire. You guys have been very helpful.
MichaelD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2011, 10:04 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichaelD View Post
Jim and Tom,
Thanks for the feedback. I'll depend on roadside assistance and quit worrying about the lack of a spare tire. You guys have been very helpful.
Mike,

Hate to rain on the parade, but I do have a spare on my Granite Ridge and I wouldn't be without one.

Although I have never had a blow-out on this RV or my fifth wheels, I did have a pop-up that blew tires on a regular basis. I can't tell you how many times I was ripped off by being charged twice the regular cost of a replacement or more.

I started carrying the tire I needed, in addition to the regular spare since it was always easy to get it mounted for little $$.

Good luck!
2006 Granite Ridge 2900GS
2015 Montana High Country 345RL
cdrcos@gmail.com is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2011, 10:00 AM   #6

We have a 2010 31 SS and the spare is just forward of the rear bumper.
daviddudek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2011, 06:37 PM   #7

If you want to carry a spare, it's simple to have a welder fabricate a mount to slide into the hitch receiver. Cost me a $100.00 and well worth the peace of mind. Remember, if you use the hitch receiver for the spare tire mount, you cannot simultaneously tow a trailer. The tire mount can be designed to also include the option of an extended hitch receiver for trailer towing. I still intend to call a roadside service to change the tire. I carry a bottle jack only for absolute emergencies.
001952119 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2011, 07:54 AM   #8

Most people cannot lift one of those tires into place anyway... and the tire is heavy so it cost you fuel to lug it around.. Your Jayco will come with one year roadside asst just renew that if you need peace of mind.
215/2016, 211/2015, 196/14, 247/13, 193/12

Seann45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2011, 08:27 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seann45 View Post
Most people cannot lift one of those tires into place anyway... and the tire is heavy so it cost you fuel to lug it around.. Your Jayco will come with one year roadside asst just renew that if you need peace of mind.
I have a friend who had no spare and called roadside assistance to replace a blown tire. It was replaced with the only tire available, a cheap Chinese-made tire, and they were charged more than a good tire would have cost. He had to replace it at the first opportunity for peace of mind and paid again for another tire.

That is why I carry a spare.
2006 Granite Ridge 2900GS
2015 Montana High Country 345RL
cdrcos@gmail.com is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2011, 08:37 AM   #10

x2 Joe! Some people just have to learn the hard way.

001952119 is offline   Reply With Quote