Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 04-22-2012, 03:00 PM   #1

do melbourne owners have travel bars or tubes?

We recently purchased a used 2008 jayco melbourne 29d and it has stickers inside showing where the travel tubes are to go. We did not get any travel bars or tubes with it. Do they come with the melbourne? Let us know. We have taken a couple of short trips and nothing seems to get loose. The dealer said they are a waste of time. I did notice in the specs that it mentions a brake on the slideout motor that is set when it comes in.

Please let us know.

Kurt
kurtwm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2012, 05:46 AM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by kurtwm View Post
We recently purchased a used 2008 jayco melbourne 29d and it has stickers inside showing where the travel tubes are to go. We did not get any travel bars or tubes with it. Do they come with the melbourne? Let us know. We have taken a couple of short trips and nothing seems to get loose. The dealer said they are a waste of time. I did notice in the specs that it mentions a brake on the slideout motor that is set when it comes in.

Please let us know.
Kurt
I bought mine new in 2008 and it came with bars, so I always put them in before I head down the road. It's very easy to forget to remove them before you try putting the slideout out so I tied two feet of survey tape on them.
Jay
hooked1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2012, 12:04 PM   #3

We have a 2011 29D that came with bars. We used them when traveling. They fall out if you don't have the tight.
Old 05-22-2012, 09:45 PM   #4

Like you, we bought a 2008 Melbourne 29D last year. Ours had The bars included. We have never used them and have not had any issues. They are stored under the seat in the dinette. I figured we would try to extend the slide and cause damage, if we used them. If there is a safety issue, I would gladly use them. Hope you are enjoying your Melbourne!
Milkman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2012, 05:21 AM   #5

Ours has the bars also. I put a sticky note over the switch to remind me to remove the bars before I open it.
2009 Jeep Grand Cherokee
RyanRving is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2012, 07:16 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by kurtwm View Post
The dealer said they are a waste of time. I did notice in the specs that it mentions a brake on the slideout motor that is set when it comes in.

Kurt
It just amazes me how many dealers/salesmen know more than the company who made the Motorhome or the company who made the slide out mechanism. If they weren't needed why would a company supply them, it is an additional expense? By not using them you are just putting extra pressure on the brake assembly and for no good reason.

I have used them on every unit we have had with slide-outs since the 90's. Never forgot to take them out. That is why there is a sticker over the switches to remind you.
Old 11-11-2012, 07:52 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grumpy View Post
It just amazes me how many dealers/salesmen know more than the company who made the Motorhome or the company who made the slide out mechanism. If they weren't needed why would a company supply them, it is an additional expense?...
Because dealers/salesmen and everyone else in the RV industry know more than the lawyers who told them to put them in.

I have had slideout bars provided with all my fifth wheels and my Granite Ridge motorhome - I have never used them and never had a problem. Every dealer has said "don't need them".
2006 Granite Ridge 2900GS
2015 Montana High Country 345RL
cdrcos@gmail.com is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2012, 09:56 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by cdrcos@gmail.com View Post
Because dealers/salesmen and everyone else in the RV industry know more than the lawyers who told them to put them in.
Lawyers have caused far more muddy water than they have done any good. I always have questioned warnings posted on many products (including medications). Is the warning placed there for a safety (or medical) reason or nothing more than a legal reason? It is annoying trying to differentiate between what is real and what is lawyer-driven.

EDUCATION is what you get when you read the fine print.....
EXPERIENCE is what you get when you don't.
tnchuck100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2012, 06:56 PM   #9

My 31SS Greyhawk came with the transit bars. There are stickers identifying where to position them. The dealer said I do not need to use them. The rear one is a pain to put in OR get it out since the mirror frame is in the way. I use them. I'm not really sure I need to use them.
Jay Flight 26BH - traded for Greyhawk
MichaelD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2012, 07:23 AM   #10

I bought a 2010 Melbourne and it is equipped with the transit bars stored under the back bed. Although I have only made @ 7 trips, on Pennsylvania roads there are a lot of bumps which I figure if anything is to happen it's on these roads. Only one time did I put in all transit bars and at least 2 are very hard to install. I also tied marking tape on each bar so I would remember if they are installed. Unfortunately if all isn't perfect and you slide the slideouts in or out and something is in the way or blocking the movement, the power of these slides will cause damage. I put a fold up table under the bed and it was a major mistake sooo... I would suspect if you were to leave the transit bars in and try to extend the slideout, it will cause damage. But "short order" and I'm no expert, nothing happened any time I did not install the transit bars. If they are to cut down on noise when installed, there was no difference for noise installed or not.

Being very new, my personal opinion "now" is if I make any long trips I may install them. But at this time I have seen no reason to use them and fear more that I may forget they are in and cause damage. I do always look in the rearview mirrors to see if the slides show any gaps that would mean they are working their way outward. But this is just my paranoia that I'm new and the manual says to install them and I don't have the history lesson to prove why they are required.
gdetty1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2012, 02:17 PM   #11

When you don't use the slide locks, the entire moment of that slide bouncing around is being applied to the slide mechanism. Every time you go over a bump, the slide feels it, and so do those twelve little screws that keep it attached. The slide locks prevent the top of the slide from bouncing in and out. It has less to do with keeping the slide rolled in, and more to do with keeping the slide attached. It takes me less than five minutes to find where my wife hid them and get them installed.
bgermane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2012, 07:28 PM   #12

I always use mine. Just to be safe. Takes 2 mins.

2012 Greyhawk 31 FK
Flat towing a 2008 Miata.
reitrof is offline   Reply With Quote