Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 08-20-2020, 07:06 AM   #1

Does rear track bar help ride of class c ?

Thinking about adding a rear track bar to our class c. For those who added one was it worth the money? Looks like a $550 dollar investment. If it improved the ride what did it actually change? I’ve looked at what the mfg says but real world can you feel the difference? So far I have added the following to the front end with good results
Sumo spring
Helwig anti sway bar
Roadmaster steering stabilizer
Parts cost for the three was around $850 and the results were well worth the cost. Just want to hear from those that actually installed track bar. At this point I am on the fence trying to figure out what to do.
Thanks for all replies. Safe travels

Enjoy the journey
Trapper2020 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2020, 07:15 AM   #2

I too was looking into the track bar but couldn't find enough info from here or other places I looked. I felt 500$ was too big of an investment to make not knowing much about the end results. I opted on sumo helpers for the rears since I had already done the fronts. I also upgraded both anti sway bars to beefier helwigs. My moho is a 2018 GH with J ride plus. The changes made a huge difference. No more sway even with crosswinds. I'm not phased by any big rigs passing me. It's a totally different coach. I have more control over it. The rear sumos were about 315$ investment so about double the cost as front ones but i love the results and glad I went with them. BTW not sure if it's me but the inside of the coach sounds even quieter since I added the rear sumos and removed the hard bump stops. Click image for larger version

Name:	20200717_164304.jpg
Views:	5
Size:	172.5 KB
ID:	62635Click image for larger version

Name:	20200717_160213.jpg
Views:	14
Size:	64.2 KB
ID:	62636
Studiovette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2020, 07:45 AM   #3

I'll be following this thread for sure.

Another user on here "alazear" just installed the rear track bar setup; here's a thread with some discussion: https://www.jaycoowners.com/forums/f...d-78834-2.html

My issue here is the cost delta between the Sumos and the Supersteer track bar. That delta isn't all that significant IMO, but I certainly don't think I want to do BOTH. If the track bar offers better results, I'm perfectly happy to spend the extra $$ to get those results. But then again, why spend money I don't have to spend to get the results I want.

So, thank you Studiovette for posting up your rear SUMO experience as an alternative.

I'm still looking forward to alazear's assessment on the track bar as well as any others who have installed...

-2018 Greyhawk 29MV
-2020 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited (JLU) (Primary Toad)
-1994 Jeep Wrangler YJ (Secondary Toad)
-2014 Jay Flight 28BHBE & Ram 2500 6.4L CC 4x4 (sold)
Camper_bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2020, 08:10 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Studiovette View Post
I too was looking into the track bar but couldn't find enough info from here or other places I looked. I felt 500$ was too big of an investment to make not knowing much about the end results. I opted on sumo helpers for the rears since I had already done the fronts. I also upgraded both anti sway bars to beefier helwigs. My moho is a 2018 GH with J ride plus. The changes made a huge difference. No more sway even with crosswinds. I'm not phased by any big rigs passing me. It's a totally different coach. I have more control over it. The rear sumos were about 315$ investment so about double the cost as front ones but i love the results and glad I went with them. BTW not sure if it's me but the inside of the coach sounds even quieter since I added the rear sumos and removed the hard bump stops. Attachment 62635Attachment 62636

I believe that your pic shows the install without the spacer. I added the spacer on my install but I am on the fence as to if my ride might improve without it. Did you try with the spacer and then remove it or install without it?
Old 08-20-2020, 08:15 AM   #5

I am not sure how a track bar can have any effect on ride quality. All it does is keep the axle oriented properly left to right.
1HasBeen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2020, 08:19 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1HasBeen View Post
I am not sure how a track bar can have any effect on ride quality. All it does is keep the axle oriented properly left to right.
I have been leisurely reading (not studying) about this for a year and FWIW the track bar appears to be the best solution for ride quality. Most who installed it say that they would start there and that you likely would not need the other upgrades except for the steering stabilizer. This is part of the reason that I held off on my upgrades.
Old 08-20-2020, 08:20 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by drmike961 View Post
I believe that your pic shows the install without the spacer. I added the spacer on my install but I am on the fence as to if my ride might improve without it. Did you try with the spacer and then remove it or install without it?
Didn't install the spacer at all. My local shop did the install for me. They said it wasn't needed so can't tell you if I noticed a difference with them on.
Studiovette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2020, 08:28 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by drmike961 View Post
I have been leisurely reading (not studying) about this for a year and FWIW the track bar appears to be the best solution for ride quality. Most who installed it say that they would start there and that you likely would not need the other upgrades except for the steering stabilizer. This is part of the reason that I held off on my upgrades.

I can see where it could help "handling", but not ride.
1HasBeen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2020, 09:12 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1HasBeen View Post
I can see where it could help "handling", but not ride.
Semantics. Surely you see that handling is still greatly implied or discussed in this thread and nearly every class C thread involving upgrades.
Old 08-20-2020, 09:42 AM   #10

I went and had the Safe-T-Plus steering stabilizer put on in the factory about a week ago. As I saved quite a bit having them do it directly, I opted to have them install the track bar in the back while I was there.

The steering stabilizer makes the steering feel tighter, and as I took it for a test drive it definitely seemed to handle better at high speeds with passing trucks. Not that it handled poorly before, but there is a noticeable improvement. With the sway bar on the rear, when changing lanes the rig seemed to feel more taught, with little to no back end movement. I appreciate this on a 32 foot unit.

I know it's a lot of money for these upgrades, but I feel better with more stability to the ride, especially with family in there with me. Just my $.02...
Old 08-20-2020, 12:06 PM   #11

Just went through this same question. I don't know if I have the answer for you, but the answer for me became very clear this morning. This is the link to an adjacent thread on a similar question I started. You can see where I ended up on it.

https://www.jaycoowners.com/forums/f...oad-78834.html
alazear is offline   Reply With Quote