Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 01-18-2023, 01:44 PM   #1

Does the slide need the jacks down to put out?

My previous Winnebago required that the leveling jacks be put down before the slide was put out. My new Jayco makes no such requirement that I can find in the manual. What do other Jayco owners think about this?

Shoregrass
shoregrass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2023, 02:07 PM   #2

No...they don't need to be down
Stavman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2023, 07:37 PM   #3

If I am at a fairly level campsite I have my wife extend the slide after I connect the electrical cord (if powered site). I then walk around and extend the jacks while standing outside the doorway. If the site is not level I will drop the jacks first.

Jim

Retired electronic technician (45 years in the field)
2017 Greyhawk 29W (solar & many other mods)
wife (maybe I should have given her top billing)
JimD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2023, 08:09 AM   #4

OP didn't ask the order to do leveling vs slide

Always level 1st, the jolting around isn't good for the slide gears, etc
Always retract the slide 1sy when moving, same same in the jolting issues
Old 01-20-2023, 10:51 AM   #5

Jacks down...level unit...slides out. When leaving, slides in...jacks up. The slide is just like a drawer in a piece of furniture. Slight torquing can cause alignment issues and gear/track engagement as well as slight drag along the bottom and upper corners of the slide as it "scrapes" in and out.
Retired @ PCB
The Gritz Carlton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2023, 10:54 AM   #6
CAG

Level, then slides. Otherwise the popping, groaning you will hear is your slides moving as the level system bumps and jolts the RV around while leveling.

One comment I saw on another site about this same topic, which BTW has been discussed often here and can be found using the search feature, is that they put the slides out then leveled for years and had continued slide alignment issues. Then the repair shop told them to reverse the process and no problem since.

CAG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2023, 11:04 AM   #7

Keep in mind that many (maybe most) Class C's do not have leveler jacks. (Perhaps we should do a poll one day to determine how many). I was going to add levelers to mine years back but after using it the first few times I determined I didn't have any issues without them. With that in mind, I generally don't open the slide unless the ground where I am parked is close to level (or I drive up on leveling ramps). ~CA
Old 01-20-2023, 11:08 AM   #8
CAG

Most all Greyhawk MVPs do. Can't say for MVs and other Jayco C models but more and more of the new models do.

CAG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2023, 11:44 AM   #9

I think the default most important thing/process here (jacks or no jacks) is never use the jacks or any other leveling/motion technique with the slides in the vulnerable, out position.
Retired @ PCB
Old 01-20-2023, 01:56 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by craigav View Post
Keep in mind that many (maybe most) Class C's do not have leveler jacks. (Perhaps we should do a poll one day to determine how many). I was going to add levelers to mine years back but after using it the first few times I determined I didn't have any issues without them. With that in mind, I generally don't open the slide unless the ground where I am parked is close to level (or I drive up on leveling ramps). ~CA
I wouldn't pull into a non level campsite and then pull up on my ramps. That was the reason I got rid of my class C no jacks spending forever to get it perfectly level, that and it went down the road like a kids go-cart with rope for steering and the bed was almost impossible to get in and out of. I figured the cost of suspension upgrades and power jacks, I might as well get a different motorhome. Now I'm happy and so is the wife with the bed
Old 01-20-2023, 02:10 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Johnson View Post
I wouldn't pull into a non level campsite and then pull up on my ramps. That was the reason I got rid of my class C no jacks spending forever to get it perfectly level, that and it went down the road like a kids go-cart with rope for steering and the bed was almost impossible to get in and out of. I figured the cost of suspension upgrades and power jacks, I might as well get a different motorhome. Now I'm happy and so is the wife with the bed
Being Happy and enjoying life is what it is all about (imo). I am happy as well and one reason I am happy is that I took the time earlier on to make mine drive like I like for it to drive. I agree with you though as if I wasn't happy, I would buy a different one like you did. ~CA
Old 01-20-2023, 02:33 PM   #12

Quote:
Being Happy and enjoying life is what it is all about (imo). I am happy as well and one reason I am happy is that I took the time earlier on to make mine drive like I like for it to drive. I agree with you though as if I wasn't happy, I would buy a different one like you did. ~CA
Right the new f53 chassis, walk around king bed and power jacks makes it much easier for and old fart with 2 bad knees, and it gets better mileage than our C with the V10. I do miss the easy engine service on the C
Old 01-24-2023, 04:24 AM   #13

I've yet to put my jacks down on my Class C. Then again, The sites I've been at all had a concrete slab, that was level enough.

Prior to my class C, I had a small tow behind, with fold down sides (similar to a pop up style) but just the sides opened up. While this TT did not have drop down jacks, I ended up buying two, due to the drop downs (beds) bouncing a bit when I rolled around sleeping. Interesting that this Jayco model did not have a leveling jack(s), and it needed them, even on a level ground.

I guess the suspension on the Jayco class C I have is robust enough to not have it bounce around.

2005 Jayco GreyHawk Class C
2007 Ford F150
bucko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2023, 07:50 AM   #14

The subject of the OP is jacks down before slides but, as you see ongoing posts, it's really a dual purpose/multi opinion of their use. I always drop the jacks for anything other than lunch stops or when back at home. I like the stability they offer, eliminating the rocking around as you move about and the stability with higher winds. Sometimes the unit may feel level to you but could be a slight bit off causing a bit of torque to the slides. I feel my life going before me every time I put out the slides and jump for joy once they're safely back in. Thus, my new Melbourne Prestige has no slides. Maybe some of my hair will grow back this year. Most MH's have shallow, 22-24" slides. TT's can be up to 48". All the more reason to make sure camper is level and stable.
Retired @ PCB
Old 01-24-2023, 09:53 AM   #15

We always extend jacks just takes a few minutes before we extend slides. Keeps camper from leaning.
bdreinv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2023, 02:06 PM   #16

I always level the trailer first then put the slide out.
When putting away. Slide first then remove the level blocks out.
I also was given a pair of Jacks for my slide, after it is out I put one on either end. No you do not need them but just gives a little support underneath them
Attached Thumbnails
20200921_120152.jpg  
annie oakly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2023, 08:14 AM   #17

Thumbs up Cbco/crbo

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Gritz Carlton View Post
Jacks down...level unit...slides out. When leaving, slides in...jacks up. The slide is just like a drawer in a piece of furniture. Slight torquing can cause alignment issues and gear/track engagement as well as slight drag along the bottom and upper corners of the slide as it "scrapes" in and out.
AMEN to that advice.
CBCOCRBO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2023, 11:02 AM   #18

Think OP died, so no need to beat this dead horse
Old 01-26-2023, 11:25 AM   #19

A lot of people search many subjects and get good answers/solutions to similar issues they are having from ongoing replies to posts. Often, the OP flies the coop but the River of Knowledge continues to flow.
Retired @ PCB
Old 01-30-2023, 04:46 AM   #20

Quote:
This is how I see it as well. I've yet to use my jacks/levelers, as the solid slabs I've camped at have been level enough.

Maybe the earlier models of class C's are built strong and have more quality control (?), but I've yet had any issues (other than a ground wire come loose) with my two sliders bouncing around without the use of the jacks/levelers.

2005 Jayco GreyHawk Class C
2007 Ford F150
bucko is offline   Reply With Quote