Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 04-16-2019, 09:56 AM   #1

Dog proofing door locks and window controls

We have discovered that our dogs can operate the cab door lock switches and window controls on our Redhawk 26XD (built on a Ford E450) by putting their feet on the arm rests. We stopped to eat the other day, and came back to find the window wide open and the cab unlocked.
Opening the cab door after turning off the key disables the window switch, but the door locks still work. I don't want to permanently disable the lock switches, but need a way to dog proof them. I was wondering about some sort of hinged cover, but haven't found one that will fit over the door lock switches.
The dogs (two Yorkies) tend to climb into the cab seats so they can look out and see what's going on and when we are coming back. I don't want to put a barrier up to keep them out of the cab if at all possible.

Any thoughts appreciated.
Mark3316 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2019, 03:57 PM   #2

I know on some of the new trucks, there are two buttons on the driver's console where the window controls are that disable the windows and door locks so kids can't use them, (don't know if a 2 two door has the same buttons. I also don't know if it disables the driver's controls, I never tried. If I think about it I'll check the next time I'm in the truck and post.
Old 04-16-2019, 04:07 PM   #3

There's a video on one of the rv sites that shows an rv'er launching his boat from the back of his RV. While he was at the hitch the dog got onto the armrest and stood on the reverse button button and back into the water the rig went. Sounds like you have a similar problem with a much less severe consequence. I agree something needs to be done in that area.

t18skyguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2019, 04:15 PM   #4

https://www.orvis.com/p/interior-car...rotectors/2ecs

They have plastic tabs that slip in the window channel. Take a few seconds.

Orangeman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2019, 05:52 PM   #5

No ideas but my dog too operates the windows and door locks.
But my windows don't go down if the key is off.
Old 04-21-2019, 06:32 PM   #6

Had that issue this pass week on our trip to Myrtle beach while gassing up. Our two Dachshunds went up front and locked me out, had to enter through house entrance.
Old 04-23-2019, 12:16 PM   #7

I taped plastic covers over the door locks, window switches, and emergency flasher switch after my cats locked me out once. I can flip the covers up to use the switches. Getting locked out in the boonies hours from the nearest locksmith is no fun. I also keep a spare door key in the toad.
Old 04-29-2019, 05:45 PM   #8

I had a Lab that loved to ride in the truck with the windows down. I can't count the number of times she would stick her head out and roll the window up until she was trapped. But, since she was standing on the switch, I couldn't roll it down from my side and would have to lean over and try to knock her foot off so I could roll it down and let her pull her head in. God, I miss that girl!
NativeTexan is offline   Reply With Quote