Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 02-06-2018, 08:07 PM   #1

Door strut

Gas strut on door locked up tonight. Before I could look closer the rod bent. Has anyone have one lockup like this? I’ve already found it online at Lavanture for about $25.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2016 Seneca HJ
2004 Wrangler
Mountain Cajun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2018, 09:11 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mountain Cajun View Post
Gas strut on door locked up tonight. Before I could look closer the rod bent. Has anyone have one lockup like this? I’ve already found it online at Lavanture for about $25.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Mine didn't lock up, but it just went "limp". Found one same length and weight rating, but the ends were plastic and larger so door wouldn't close. Not enough clearance under door. I just installed a "T" latch to hold door clear open if awning is not out and a rubber bumper on door to hit awning arm if awning extended.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
Dananu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2018, 06:51 PM   #3

I used 20in 10lbs worked great.
https://www.ebay.com/itm/282613270300
rosedan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2018, 09:13 PM   #4

Send a message via AIM to JOEA Send a message via MSN to JOEA Send a message via Yahoo to JOEA
2017 Seneca TS, had mine completely fall off both ends. Having JAYCO replace
JOEA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2018, 06:24 AM   #5

Ours still works fine, but notice it takes a lot of strain, especially if the wind is the right direction in relation to the coach. Always expect its going to be a casualty in the near future.
2016 Jayco Seneca 37FS
2016 Chevrolet Traverse
2018 Cheverolet Silverado
rgolding is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2018, 11:12 AM   #6

I don't know if this helps since I have a 5th wheel but I had a problem with the door being blown shut in high wind and also straining the strut when blowing in the opposite direction. So, I installed two flag pole holders and a piece of PVC pipe. As you can see, I tried a "T" fitting previously but that didn't work very well. Only problem I have is that I need to remember to remove the brace before bringing the awning in . Probably doesn't look the greatest but it works.
Attached Thumbnails
door brace 1(800x449).jpg  
troutslayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2018, 09:55 PM   #7

I don't really care for the strut on my 2017 31fs. As soon as you open the door it's trying to yank you out of the coach. I may try something else.
t18skyguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2018, 12:35 AM   #8

My strut was doing the same thing. Full power open all the way to 90 degrees. It ended up putting so much energy into the door that when the strut was out of length, and the door stopping abruptly that it ended up ripping the strut out of floor frame and the door then swung all the way open and hit the awning frame, putting a crease in the edge of the door. I have heard somewhere that there is a new strut that is not as strong and also dampens near the end of the opening allowing for a less violent experience. I have noticed my basement doors are this way, if the main door used the same springs, that would be perfect. My dealer is going to talk to Jayco to see if this is true.