Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 07-07-2019, 04:40 PM   #1

Door won’t open

I have a 2018 Jayco Redhawk 22J with a stuck door that won’t open from the inside or outside. I’m reluctant to try to force it open by essentially kicking it from the inside. Aside from taking it to the dealer, is there anything else I can try? It’s not locked and it seems like only one part of the door is jammed. I’m supposed to be leaving on a trip in a few days so I don’t have a lot of time to play with this.
Upstate spartan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2019, 05:34 PM   #2

Not familiar with the redhawk but if you have stabilizers crank one up a bit and that might free it by throwing it out of square.
Old 07-07-2019, 05:51 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Upstate spartan View Post
I have a 2018 Jayco Redhawk 22J with a stuck door that won’t open from the inside or outside. I’m reluctant to try to force it open by essentially kicking it from the inside. Aside from taking it to the dealer, is there anything else I can try? It’s not locked and it seems like only one part of the door is jammed. I’m supposed to be leaving on a trip in a few days so I don’t have a lot of time to play with this.

Are you stuck inside the coach ? Pull the latch and put your shoulder into it. It’ll open, then look at it and figure out why it is happening. You can most likely figure it out and correct the problem.
gprapim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2019, 05:55 PM   #4

I'd agree with Tunce. I'm not familiar with the class C's but know the TT's have quite a bit of flex and it doesn't take much to move the frame out of square. This will effect both exterior and interior doors.
Building Inspector & Navy Vet.
F250dieseldad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2019, 06:48 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by F250dieseldad View Post
I'd agree with Tunce. I'm not familiar with the class C's but know the TT's have quite a bit of flex and it doesn't take much to move the frame out of square. This will effect both exterior and interior doors.

Did the door ever work and now it just stopped working? Like mentioned, you can use the auto-levelers and really twist the chassis. I could open the door just fine before leveling, but when auto-leveled under some conditions, it was very difficult.

Also, the door was in general difficult to open. I took the latch part apart and adjusted the striker etc.. and now it's easy to shut/open.
bababooey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2019, 07:42 PM   #6
Lost in the Woods

I had that problem then realized if you put too much pressure down on the screen latch release, the whole screen latch backer would pivot and jam the door.

Take a close look at the inside screen lever and make sure the bottom of the black plastic lever plate isn't jammed into the door frame. Grab the bottom of the square plate and make sure it's parallel with the door frame and not angled.
RetiredOne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2019, 07:44 PM   #7
Lost in the Woods

Also, the regular door latches need lubrication too. Once you get the door open, get some grease and lube both the striker bolts and both grooves that they go into on the door jamb. Don't forget the dead bolt either. This will make a big difference
RetiredOne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2019, 08:59 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Upstate spartan View Post
It’s not locked.

Triple sure?

I had a stuck door cause by the deadbolt sticking out ever so slightly...
Old 07-07-2019, 09:26 PM   #9

If you have levellers and they are out, retract. Rear go down equally, but front can go down at different heights causing housing to be not square. My door didn't get stuck, but it s hard to open\close.

If that's not true, I'd guess something caught the deadbolt. You can pay around with k it to try and open, but I wouldn't force it to hard. Better off taking the lock apart from the inside instead of forcing too hard and pulling hinges out.

I'd try pushing at the top of the door opposite hinges, near the middle and at the bottom. See what gives and where it's sticking.. this should give you an idea of it's the latch or not. If it's the latch, take apart from inside. If it's a corner, I'd give it a good push but not too much or If it's the top or bottom sticking, I'd try pulling or pushing the door up or down to try and free it.

Once it's open the investigation begins...
Old 07-08-2019, 06:02 PM   #10

Problem solves

Thanks for all the suggestions. After playing with it a little more, I realized that the deadbolt wasn’t retracting fully. A little lubricant, and all is well..
Upstate spartan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2019, 07:11 PM   #11

Glad you resolved it and thanks for letting everyone know.
Full timing: Some will think you're crazy, some will be envious, just enjoy the freedom!
oldmanAZ is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
door mechanism