Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 06-13-2019, 03:20 PM   #1
75H

Drain valve lube (attn: Newbies)

So from recent posts, you may have guessed we're on a road trip. This has been an excellent opportunity to try out new and different products. This morning I ran across an old favorite that has a new wow factor.

Back in the 90's, preparing to leave Lake Powell, I pulled the black water drain valve to dump, and found myself holding both the handle & rod. Bummer when it happened, on the drive home, and trying to find a place that would dump the tank and install a new valve. Ever since, I've carried and sometimes used drain valve lubricant.

On this trip we've gone from near freezing weather to almost one hundred. I noticed the black tank valve offering some resistance at each dump, especially this morning. Spraying silicone on the pull rod had no effect.

Flashing back on the 90's experience, after dumping, I followed instructions for the drain valve lubercant (o.k., I double-dosed), and worked the valve several times.

Yeah, wow factor. Like new again. When using lubricant regularly, I never really noticed a difference.

For those new to the game, buy and carry a bottle. if you're feeling what may be unusual resistance pushing or pulling the black or grey drain valves, stop what your doing and try some lubricant. Seriously. It may save you from getting stuck with an "undumpable" holding tank later.
75H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2019, 04:35 PM   #2

Ok...

What is the product you are using and how do you use (apply) it? Or double dose it? [emoji23]

Magnolia Tom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2019, 07:20 PM   #3
75H

Magnolia Tom,

Thetford Drain Valve Lubricant, this bottle has been in the MH since May, 2018. Drained & flushed tanks and put about 4 gallons of water back, mixing in the lubricant.

Instructions say to drive around a bit, but we're up on jacks so I just opened & closed the valves several times not letting much water out. Via a see-thru connection on the sewer hose, I could see the orange-ish product was passing through and therefore in contact with what I assume is the plastic or rubber valve seals.

Product gave near instant relief from the slight resistance and squeaky noise coming from the black tank valve. Best money I've ever thrown down the drain!
Old 06-13-2019, 08:53 PM   #4

Any NON petrolium grease will work on the rubber seals.
dannyabear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2019, 09:03 PM   #5
75H

Quote:
Originally Posted by dannyabear View Post
Any NON petrolium grease will work on the rubber seals.
Yes, however this stuff gets it from the holding tank 'side' of the valve without having to disassemble it.
Old 06-13-2019, 09:07 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by 75H View Post
Magnolia Tom,

Thetford Drain Valve Lubricant, this bottle has been in the MH since May, 2018. Drained & flushed tanks and put about 4 gallons of water back, mixing in the lubricant.

Instructions say to drive around a bit, but we're up on jacks so I just opened & closed the valves several times not letting much water out. Via a see-thru connection on the sewer hose, I could see the orange-ish product was passing through and therefore in contact with what I assume is the plastic or rubber valve seals.

Product gave near instant relief from the slight resistance and squeaky noise coming from the black tank valve. Best money I've ever thrown down the drain!
I just started using this in my small camper. We’ve had it almost 3 years and I’ve noticed a bit of “resistance” when pulling the handles to dump. Research suggested this very product. Good to hear that it might make a difference!
430 amp/hr 6v battery bank
1000w Renogy hard wired inverter
2011 F350 Lariat, DWR 4x4, 6.7 turbo diesel
2017 Open Range, Mesa Ridge 374BHS
Screwby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2019, 10:59 AM   #7

We've had good success with dumping a bottle of generic pinesol cleaner ($1 for 32 oz) into our black tank after each dump/flush. We save a little bit to dump in the toilet to cover the ball and seal to preserve it. This will also serve to lube the discharge slide valves and the sloshing about while driving to home port cleans everything inside the tank. And who can't like that pinesol smell???? I think the lube you buy is colored liquid silicone oil (probably not the best thing to put into septic/sewers).
Crossingover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2019, 12:02 PM   #8
75H

Interesting you mention that because I know there must be less expensive options and I'm curious what really happens when you mix different additives (drain lubricant, softener, odor/bio treatments) together.

Front of bottle says Caution: Eye Irritant. I don't see an ingredient list other than contains a non-ionic surfactant.

I have not been using it regularly on this trip because we're dumping every couple days. But when I noticed the sticky valve yesterday, this product provided an instant fix (bottle does advise various mechanical problems may result in difficult valve operation that the lubricant cannot correct).

Bottom line, I sure liked the instant fix a lot better than my prior experience of pulling out the whole rod out, driving around with a full black tank, and trying to find a repair shop that would deal with the problem!
Old 06-14-2019, 02:40 PM   #9

I found this video about lubricating the drain seals. Kinda' ingenious and uses everyday products. On my list to do before our 3-month summer sojourn.
2014 Seneca 37FS
2015 Wrangler Sport toad
red-headed wife
RoWest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2019, 03:03 PM   #10
75H

Like it, however think I'll wait until the Jayco warranty is expired. Didn't hear it mentioned, but guessing one would also want to make sure the black tank is empty before drilling??!!
Old 06-14-2019, 03:51 PM   #11

ANY hydrocarbon based lube will make the rubber seals swell up and get tighter
dannyabear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2019, 03:54 PM   #12

I’ll just keep using pine sol...seems to work ok

Magnolia Tom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2019, 04:13 PM   #13

Years ago I heard about pouring some vegetable or coconut oil down the tank to lube the seals. Anybody remember or care to comment?
wiscampsin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2019, 04:40 PM   #14
Lost in the Woods

Quote:
Originally Posted by wiscampsin View Post
Years ago I heard about pouring some vegetable or coconut oil down the tank to lube the seals. Anybody remember or care to comment?
I like that idea. Biodegradable and totally harmless, and they're an oil, so should help the seals and slide valve.
RetiredOne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2019, 09:41 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by wiscampsin View Post
I don’t think I’d use coconut oil. It solidifies at temperatures below somewhere like 76 degrees. I know when I cook with it coconut oil almost immediately solidifies back to a waxy substance as it cools in the pan. Once solid again it needs heated back up to become an oil and that’s going to be hard to do inside a black tank. I’d be afraid globs of solidified coconut oils could pose some issues?
430 amp/hr 6v battery bank
1000w Renogy hard wired inverter
2011 F350 Lariat, DWR 4x4, 6.7 turbo diesel
2017 Open Range, Mesa Ridge 374BHS
Screwby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2019, 05:10 AM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crossingover View Post
We've had good success with dumping a bottle of generic pinesol cleaner ($1 for 32 oz) into our black tank after each dump/flush. We save a little bit to dump in the toilet to cover the ball and seal to preserve it. This will also serve to lube the discharge slide valves and the sloshing about while driving to home port cleans everything inside the tank. And who can't like that pinesol smell???? I think the lube you buy is colored liquid silicone oil (probably not the best thing to put into septic/sewers).
Crossingover,
I believe the generic product is called Pine O. Tiffin Motorhomes recommends this only in their holding tanks and I believe you can get it at the Dollar Stores. We used it when we owned our Class A and never had any issues. I think Pinesol has something in it that may deteriorate the rubber seals. Hope this info helps. Jimmyd
Jimmyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2019, 06:10 AM   #17
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Screwby View Post
I don’t think I’d use coconut oil. It solidifies at temperatures below somewhere like 76 degrees. I know when I cook with it coconut oil almost immediately solidifies back to a waxy substance as it cools in the pan. Once solid again it needs heated back up to become an oil and that’s going to be hard to do inside a black tank. I’d be afraid globs of solidified coconut oils could pose some issues?
What Screwby said....

I have to take coconut oil everyday, so I have a container on the kitchen counter and over night it solidifies and by noon it is a liquid. Would not be the best thing to use.
Don
My Registry

RVing with SOLAR
Mustang65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2019, 07:46 AM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by Screwby View Post
OK thanks, no coconut oil.
wiscampsin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2019, 03:47 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoWest View Post
I found this video about lubricating the drain seals. Kinda' ingenious and uses everyday products. On my list to do before our 3-month summer sojourn.

Might work if you can get to the valves, be a chore pulling the coroplast to get at them. Not all valves are at the terminal ends.
2000 F250SD SRW 7.3 LB Extended Cab Air Bags
2002 Western Star 4900EX 500 Detroit 13sp.
2014 Eagle 30.5BHLT (sold)
Edd505 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2019, 07:13 PM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Magnolia Tom View Post
I’ll just keep using pine sol...seems to work ok
Hi Magnolia Tom. I am intrigued and plan to try using the Pine-Sol method on my black water tank as the indicator lights are all but worthless. I wonder how exactly you go about using it in terms of how much and when. Our black water tank is 20 gallon and normally if we are boonie camping we dumped it every other day as takes showers in our camper, wash dishes the soreness, and so on and so forth. I have a bottle of Pine-Sol and we're headed out this weekend so your reply would be appreciated. Thank you Chet and Marie
Chet & Marie is offline   Reply With Quote