Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 12-29-2022, 10:26 AM   #1

Drawers opening while driving

I'm sure I'm not the only Jayco owner who has this problem, so I am looking for suggestions and the solutions others may have found. The drawers in the pantry and the ones next to the stove can come open when you're driving down the road. Any good solutions that I can install?
shoregrass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2022, 10:40 AM   #2
eow

We fastener Velcro straps to the inside of the cabinet frames and loop them through the cabinet handles prior to travel.
Reese 5th Airborne (bagged) Pin Box
RoadMaster Shock Kit
X-Factor Cross Bracing
eow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2022, 11:25 AM   #3

I added additional cabinet catches on both sides of large drawer under the stove where we store pots and pans. This one tends to open when going through turns. I installed it on the bottom underneath the drawer so they're out of sight.

Click image for larger version

Name:	DrawerCatch.jpg
Views:	54
Size:	63.2 KB
ID:	85625
jyh818 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2022, 11:27 AM   #4

We sometimes put a yard stick in the handles and the good drawers keep them shut. It is very easy to replace the original drawer holders with something better.
Ttlanders is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2022, 09:02 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ttlanders View Post
We sometimes put a yard stick in the handles and the good drawers keep them shut. It is very easy to replace the original drawer holders with something better.

Genius
2024 Chevy 3500HD DRW
TxLoser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2022, 05:26 AM   #6

We used these two items:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...DKIKX0DER&th=1

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...8CY2QZAD2&th=1
cpd1343 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2022, 05:46 AM   #7

I had this problem and found the cause was the "catch" that is supposed to keep drawers closed was bent and not engaging the mating half. A simple fix. Mine looked something like this. When working properly, does the job even for heavy loaded drawers.

https://www.amazon.com/RecPro-Cabine...13&sr=8-8&th=1
2016 Ford Focus set up to flat tow
Pfflyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2022, 09:24 AM   #8

Pfflyer is exactly right!
Ttlanders is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2022, 04:56 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pfflyer View Post
I had this problem and found the cause was the "catch" that is supposed to keep drawers closed was bent and not engaging the mating half. A simple fix. Mine looked something like this. When working properly, does the job even for heavy loaded drawers.

https://www.amazon.com/RecPro-Cabine...13&sr=8-8&th=1
I have had these fail, as well. You can get them from Home Depot/Lowes. Unfortunately, these didn't work for our pots and pans draw. For that, we had to move up to a baby lock that you can disengage once you're in camp.
Old 12-30-2022, 09:04 PM   #10

I installed these and have not had them open ever sense.
https://www.amazon.com/Grabber-Catches-Cabinet-Hardware-Bathroom/dp/B082HNZTGY/ref=sr_1_1_sspa?crid=E4SLNKWNCE8&keywords=drawer+c atch&qid=1672455482&sprefix=drawer+c%2Caps%2C117&s r=8-1-spons&psc=1&spLa=ZW5jcnlwdGVkUXVhbGlmaWVyPUEyMEZFM UZQRUI2UzBQJmVuY3J5cHRlZElkPUEwNjU5ODI1Mkw1M1laNzZ VTEtKWiZlbmNyeXB0ZWRBZElkPUEwNzUwNTgwMVNBM1hWRkcyT zY3QSZ3aWRnZXROYW1lPXNwX2F0ZiZhY3Rpb249Y2xpY2tSZWR pcmVjdCZkb05vdExvZ0NsaWNrPXRydWU=[/URL]
Old 12-30-2022, 09:06 PM   #11

apparently i don't know how to add a link. you can copy and past.
Old 12-31-2022, 08:38 AM   #12

In my world, I personally have my least favorite Grand kid, she is 4, stand there while we drive and hold the doors closed
I'm kidding, her sister is my least favorite... seriously though, I don't have any kids

I have a customer designed and ordered Spatula I use....DIALED

I've messed with the catches before, but agree adding one would be best, but so far my Spatula works Perfectly
Stavman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2023, 07:32 PM   #13

Magnetic Latches

We’ve put these magnetic latches on all our drawers which work quite well:

Mousike Magnetic Door Catch Ultra Thin Cabinet Magnets Stainless Steel Drawer Magnet Catch for Sliding Door Closure Kitchen Cabinet Cupboard Closet Closer (Black-4Pack) https://a.co/d/e9Z0amz
Pete Attrell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2023, 12:46 PM   #14

My solution was so simple...I opened the cabinet next to the drawer and drilled a 1/8 hole through into the side of the drawer and inserted a 1/8 " welding rod bent over however long it needed to be, when the cabinet drawer was closed everything hidden.
I cut little slits in the pantry drawers, cut 1/8x1/4 by however length metal strips to reach across the draw + about 1/2" on each side....It works so well! my directions may not be very good but could take photos...Mel
Bucket2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2023, 01:14 PM   #15

No drawers in our little trailer, but it's light and takes a beating on the road. Everything needs to be battened down tight.
Perhaps related enough -
We loop a bungee through opposing cabinet door handles to keep the doors closed.
For single doors, I scratched my head for quite a while, but my DW came up with a great simple lock. I treaded a small eye screw into the edge of the cabinet door and another to fit under it in the cabinet frame when the door is closed. We slip a 3" piece of red 14 gauge wire with a T bent into the top into the two eye screws and the doors stay locked tight. When using the cabinet, the wire is stored out of the way in the lower eye. Works great and doesn't look too bad. During long storage I use a piece of bent wire in the eye screws to hold the door open a few inches. It doesn't close and doesn't whack me in the head every time I walk past.
Hollander Mutthaulers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2023, 01:56 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by shoregrass View Post
I'm sure I'm not the only Jayco owner who has this problem, so I am looking for suggestions and the solutions others may have found. The drawers in the pantry and the ones next to the stove can come open when you're driving down the road. Any good solutions that I can install?
I get the long bungees lace thru handles works great
che57vy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2023, 08:02 PM   #17

I didn’t have the drawer open in my kitchen. The drawer that opened in my Jayco was in the living space, near the fireplace. Problem was, once I started opening the slide out on that side, it wrecked that drawer and the slide it was mounted on!

I’ve reached out to Jayco with the VIN of the TT to ask for path forward. (They are supposed to be on top of that.) But no reply yet.
ScottRV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2023, 07:48 AM   #18

The side without rollers of the factory catches I linked to above are somewhat adjustable by flattening the wings out. Unless the spring is worn out or broken on the roller side these will keep even a heavy drawer closed if properly adjusted. Will I replace these with the same catch when they do wear out, probably not but in 6 years they have not failed after I fixed a clearly botched installation.
2016 Ford Focus set up to flat tow
Pfflyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2023, 09:58 AM   #19

Drawers opening

The drawers that open on ours are the drawers in the bedroom. I solved the issue by putting a small hook on a yardstick and dropping it down through the handles of the drawers with the hook hanging on the top handle. When the bed is slid in for travel, it keeps pressure on the bottom of the yard stick and the bottom drawer keeping them all closed. Upon arrival I simply hang the yardstick up in the closet.
mjdcwo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2023, 12:48 PM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by timthetoolman View Post
I installed these and have not had them open ever sense.
https://www.amazon.com/Grabber-Catch...NsaWNrPXRydWU=
I installed the same and agree they hold great. I put them on the underside of the drawer so they are out of sight.
ait109 is offline   Reply With Quote