Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 04-01-2017, 09:52 AM   #1

Smile Driver Training

We are picking up our Seneca 37TS at the end of the month. My wife has never driven a rig of this size. Has anyone received training from a dealer or even a driver training school?
Also I've read that a Class B or C license may be required in some states. Any info would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks
Jiggles:
Jiggles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2017, 10:23 AM   #2

Not sure what state your in, but there are numerous training schools/ instructors.

School locations – Click on map icon to see the town & date availability | RV School

As to a special license that also depends on where you live.
Old 04-03-2017, 03:21 PM   #3

When we bought our first trailer (5th wheel), the dealer provided "1 hour of drivers training"... it was worth what we paid for it ($0)... he rode along and gave advice for making turns, checking how far in the trailer wheel cut corners, etc.

We did better just finding a big open parking lot and messing around by ourselves.
The Seneca is MUCH easier to drive than towing the 34' 5er!

If your wife has driven a car, she can drive the Seneca (this woman's humble opinion!)... just keep checking mirrors and know how long the stopping distance is. Have her make a few loops around a deserted suburban block, and/or through a HS parking lot on the weekend to get the hang of it.

I drove our F350 more than my husband (it didn't fit in the parking garage at his office). And, when pulling the 5th wheel, if I occasionally got a little conservative in my driving style, DH would suggest me to "drive it like I stole it"... which helped get in city-driving mode (where being too timid, can cause bigger problems).

We're just getting started with our Seneca adventure, too - but so far, so good!
crumgater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2017, 05:00 PM   #4

My wife, who normally drives a Honda CR-V, was reluctant to drive a 31-1/2 ft. box. But she started out on the interstates and then moved onto four-lane highways. After a few outings she was okay driving it on two-lane secondary roads in the mountains.

And she really impressed me that time in the Tennessee mountains when we stopped for gas. The station was tight anyway, but after we were committed we saw the fuel truck making a delivery was blocking one entire side. She not only maneuvered it into the pumps, but then backed it out after we gassed up.

After some experience you'll become more comfortable with it. Key points are extra following distance because it's a really heavy vehicle and make wide turns but be cautious of those in tight areas. The long rear overhang makes for a very wide tail swing. I know. Be wary of getting off the pavement. Ours weighs over seven tons and would bog down quickly if not on a good surface. And watch for overhangs and read those yellow clearance signs. Our height is 11'-6" so I stuck '11-6' on the inside of the windshield on the left side using mailbox numbers. Whoever is driving can easily verify our height with a glance.

Practice may not make you perfect, but it sure makes you better.

2014 Greyhawk 31FK
2007 Honda Shadow Sabre 1100cc
NC Roamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2017, 06:05 AM   #5

My wife won't even pull my 16' boat, so she won't drive the GH. Glad to see she is willing to help with driving duties, and congrats to all the women who do drive the RV's.

It's a little unnerving but after you do it a few times, it does get easier. Empty parking lots are a great "playground" to learn in.
Equalizer WDH
TV 2018 F150 FX4 SC 3.5EB TP/MT
jimp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2017, 08:36 AM   #6

Wife drives our 31FK just fine. In fact she enjoys it. We let our 17 year old take a turn too when the road is straight and empty.
pconroy is offline   Reply With Quote