Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 01-16-2020, 07:38 AM   #1

Driving in snow

Looks like I'm driving home thru some snow this weekend. Have a 31 foot Entegra Odyssey (rebadged Greyhawk/Redhawk). Not sure how much snow at this point but they are calling for a few inches on the roads possibly. Going to try to get out in front of it if possible but wanted to get some driving impressions from any of you that drove one of these RVs thru weather like this. Don't have the option to wait it out.
rndsommer40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2020, 07:54 AM   #2

Lots of room.. go slow. Use engine brake ( downshift ) on downhills. Everything takes more time.. No sudden moves
Make sure your mirrors are clean as well as a rear camera if you have one. If you build up ice on your wheel wells stop and clear it.

I don't have your unit but we tow through snow at least twice a year.

Oh yes and if you are late and there is a lot of snow on the roof clear it. Anything falling though mid trip won't be a problem.

I don't think a few inches will be a problem More can happen mechanically when there is a foot of wet glop.

Use Waze to detect any possible road closures. We had to go through Portsmouth NH once when 95 shut down. A travel trailer and 1600 era roads cobbled are a poor mix in the snow

2021 GMC Canyon
2021 Jayco 212QB
WDH ; Anderson
2012 Honda Ridgeline not towing anymore
2016 195 RB traded in
Kim Gass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2020, 03:49 PM   #3

We have driven in snow... due to the facts of where we live.

Our Seneca does not have snow tires, nothing even close to anything safe in snow. I have a lot of experience driving in snow, and have had our Seneca spinning tires at the end of an uphill climb on a mountain pass that was cleared and just starting to build up again (not yet packed snow on the pavement).

Even though we are plenty heavy, it requires A LOT of patience and concentration when on any hill / grade.
07 Toyota FJC & Yamaha Kodiak 400 ATV

SloPoke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2020, 04:35 PM   #4

Thank you. I drove for UPS for 28 years and the class c that I have seems very similar. Should be a fun ride home.
Old 01-16-2020, 06:10 PM   #5

We took our 31’ motor home to go skiing probably 50 times. Only needed to chain up once because I pulled over to let people by. It really performed great in the snow.
I will say, going around a sharp corner on a steep hill you need to take it very slow. If you hit the brakes hard, the front tires will lock up and you will go straight. Pump the brakes and you will start turning again.
Just take it easy and you’ll be fine. But, if you get into freezing rain, trust me, immediately get off the road until it melts.
Old 01-16-2020, 06:15 PM   #6

Steady as she goes mate... And keep her between the navigational points.

Good Luck !!

E-9 Anchor Clanker
Full timers since 2010
2017 North Point 381 DLQS
2015 F-250 6.7 w/Timbrens
DonaandDon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2020, 06:47 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kim Gass View Post
Use engine brake ( downshift ) on downhills
You didn’t mention what equipment you drove when working for UPS, but I drove a semi-tanker for 32 years and we were told emphatically to never use the engine brake in wet or snowy/icy weather. I tried it once and quickly learned the reason why.

Not trying to start an argument, just my observation and opinion from first hand knowledge.
Route 66 Traveler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2020, 06:56 PM   #8

I drove a package car at UPS for 26 years. Kinda similar to the class C size and handling minus the shift and lighter weight.
Old 01-16-2020, 07:16 PM   #9

Then I doubt you will have any problems. Something else most people don’t realize is driving in a heavy rain can hydroplane a 30,000 or 80,000 pound vehicle just like a 3000 pound car. When you start to feel the loss of control, it’s too late. That issue is directly related to vehicle speed and condition of the tires.
Route 66 Traveler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2020, 07:25 PM   #10

Yes not really nervous about it but have never had this thing out in weather yet. Would dread high winds way worse than wet snowy roads.
Old 01-16-2020, 08:22 PM   #11

Driving in the snow itself would not worry me to much. Subjecting the RV to salt and other road chemicals would bother the heck out of me. When going back home to northern Indiana from Florida in March, I make sure the roads are clear and no snow on the way. Got caught in some light snow a few years ago and they were out salting the highways. I took the RV out in the next big rain storm to rinse all the salt off from the underside.
Blue Ox Baseplate w/Aventa LX Tow Bar & KarGard II Deflector
Blue Ox Patriot Brake
tom463219 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2020, 08:32 PM   #12

I did the same thing on the way down. 1st 40 degree day I'm gonna spray the undercarriage
Old 01-16-2020, 08:47 PM   #13

Driving in snow don't worry me...…. I worry about EVERYONE ELSE that don't know how to drive in snow hitting me!

2012 Ford Expedition EL
2016 28BHBE, Elite and Thermal Packages.
Equal-i-zer 4-point Sway Control, Southwire 34930 Surge Guard 30A, Tire Minder TPMS A1A
(2) Yamaha EF2000iS Generators, Micro-Air EasyStart™ 364 (3-ton) Soft Start, Garmin RV 890, GoodYear Endurance ST225/75-15 Load Range E
RAurand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2020, 10:10 PM   #14

I've lived in Snow Country for 45 of the 60 years on the planet. Driving the RV was actually easier on me than being in a car. You'll be fine.

Plan ahead - 10x farther than normal.
Leave gobs of space between you and everything.
Go slow.
Stay off the brakes if slippery - downshift if possible.

And the hardest one to teach my spouse: Brake BEFORE the turn. If you're still on the brakes in the turn, you're too fast. You should be off the brakes and on the gas in a turn.
Old 01-17-2020, 07:35 PM   #15

I did it this past fall in Alaska in our rig with a toad. Just take it real slow, dont rush, keep lots of distance between you and anyone in front of you. Stay off the brakes until necessary and then use them lightly, take lots of time to slow to a stop, plan your stops way in advance. You will be fine.

https://www.facebook.com/livingnomad...3961208640308/

https://www.facebook.com/livingnomad...type=3&theater

GeorgiaRV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2020, 06:26 AM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Route 66 Traveler View Post
You didn’t mention what equipment you drove when working for UPS, but I drove a semi-tanker for 32 years and we were told emphatically to never use the engine brake in wet or snowy/icy weather. I tried it once and quickly learned the reason why.

Not trying to start an argument, just my observation and opinion from first hand knowledge.
I could have explained better. This is not for highway speed downhills where you are way better to start downhilll going slow prepared to actuate your trailer brake so the tail doesn't whup the dog and keep your foot off everything and go steady.Forr our local roads where start at the top of a 800 foot descent over half a mile with a little curve in the road over a concrete bridge. The road is banked to the outside. No way do you want to build up much speed on that. It is always icy after a storm. You can be more daring in March when the snowbanks are ten feet tall but I still dont want to tangle a trailer.

The road is usually plowed. My nearest to home roads not so much. We have had snow even this winter since Thanksgiving.

I don't mention my rig as its in my signature. We can use 4 wheel drive but as you know that is no help in stopping any quicker

2021 GMC Canyon
2021 Jayco 212QB
WDH ; Anderson
2012 Honda Ridgeline not towing anymore
2016 195 RB traded in
Kim Gass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2020, 06:57 AM   #17

A few inches of snow is no big deal, slow as you go, plenty of room, lower gear when needed.
If you get into ice condition..time to call it a day and wait it out. Same with visibility.
I drove semi's, everything from 28ft to 53 ft for over twenty years...never a accident. Nothing more fun than to make a stop and seeing your trailer coming sideways in your side mirror. Hand brake for trailer and fuel to the tractor time..got to keep ahead of those trailers
I would often have a long box truck on slow freight days so that would be comparable to a class C.
Just take your time, don't get ahead of your ability, comfort zone, road conditions...if you are experiencing white knuckles.........time to pull over in a safe spot and chill out for awhile. You have everything you need just behind you to get comfortable ...so why push it and risk a problem?
RetiredLEO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2020, 04:51 PM   #18

Thanks for all the replies. Made it home 1294 miles thru every weather condition possible. High winds in Florida, black ice in Virginia and snow from Maryland to my home on Long Island New York. Handled the weather pretty good with the tow dolly and cx5 behind it. It did run very rough for a stretch, almost like the timing was off after about 100 miles of driving at 35 mph due to the snow. Hesitating and felt like it was gonna stall with a lack of power and sounded like an octane ping. With a total of only 6000 miles on the RV it was a little concerning but I could not replicate it after that one time. Will keep an eye on it and write it off as bad gas or a temporary computer glitch. Happens again and I'll bring it in.
Old 01-19-2020, 01:32 PM   #19

Glad you made it! Here's hoping it was just a batch of bad gas.
Maybe toss a few bottles of Heet in it? Like we used to do?
Old 01-19-2020, 01:47 PM   #20

Was thinking the same thing or maybe an overdose of seafoam.