Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 02-22-2021, 09:46 AM   #1

Driving RV in winter with H2O

Good Morning All,
A while back I read a post where someone was asking about prepping water lines for winter driving - to insulate or not to insulate . I read the post but now that I have a need to drive in winter conditions I can't remember what I read about it. If anyone remembers the post plz shoot me the link, or let me know if it is necessary plz?. I will be driving 900 miles one way and after about 4 -5 days parked I will drive that back. I have a 2020 Jayco Redhawk 26xd, it has heated tanks is that good enough? or will I have to wrap the lines. The lines are about the Tanks.....
Thank you in advance!
epfennig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2021, 11:25 AM   #2

IMO empty all holding tanks and run RV antifreeze through all water lines and fill all drain p-traps with same.
Harvard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2021, 01:28 PM   #3

You know your risk tolerance and destination better than anyone. Few dollars w/ antifreeze and an hour in the cold or risk water damage, leaks, time and money. If its around freezing, I'd let it go and do best to keep everything warm. If its below 30 for 4+hrs (or wind chill that low) and one off trip I'd winterize with antifreeze and figure out what to do for shower/bathroom outside the unit.
Old 02-22-2021, 03:55 PM   #4

We winter camp a lot. I'll share what I've done.
- yep, I crawled under and slid pipe insulation on as much of the lines as I could reach. It was NOT fun and I didn't get it all wrapped.
- remember as your driving the cold air flowing will prevent any residual heat from staying in the lines. It's not wind-chill, but if it's below freezing while you're driving, then you need to do something
- 99% of the time, I'll winterize. $10 and 10 minutes. Problem solved.
- One time recently, temps dropped on us unexpectedly. I hadn't winterized. Crossing a pass. About every thirty minutes, I ran the hot water for a minute or three and the cold too.