Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 04-01-2017, 06:03 PM   #1

Driving Seneca at night.

Our 2014 Seneca's head lights, when on the dim position were very "Dim". Seamed to bearly light anything over 150' or so. Maybe it's just that it's normal and I had expected more from a big rig or the lights needed adjusting. Any other Freightliner M2 owners with same issue?

Colombo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2017, 06:42 PM   #2

Glad to see you again on the forum!

Yes, mine were also terrible. I did several things. The first was having them aimed when the unit loaded for travel. Mine were WAY off, especially the passenger side.

I tried switching to brighter halogen bulbs like the Sylvania Silverstars. Not much better. But another forum member friend "enlightened" me to newer LED headlight bulbs from a company called OPT7 and they are the answer. I changed both my low beams, high beams, and fog light bulbs over to the new ones. These lights are absolutely fantastic. Not cheap, but we also find ourselves driving at night frequently and safety is worth it.

Here are what I have in mine now: FluxBeam X LED Headlights - OPT7

Now the bulbs we have in our M2's are 9006 for the low beams, 9005 for the high beams, and the 880 bulbs for the Freightliner fog lights I installed.

Toads: 2014 Ford Explorer Sport or 2013 Ford Focus ST
Robbbyr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2017, 07:19 PM   #3

Forgot to mention something regarding installation. OPT7 recommends users leave off the rear headlight enclosure covers if possible to provide more cooling for the LED bulbs. Unfortunately for us that is not possible because we would fill the headlight enclosures with spray from the front tires.

The fellow Seneca owner that turned me on to the headlights also recommended the installation of liquid-tight vents to allow some additional heat transfer. I installed two of the vents in each cover and so far I have not had any problems.

Here is a link to the vent, I used 4 total, 2 per housing:
https://www.polycase.com/ua-006
Old 04-01-2017, 07:31 PM   #4

do you order 1 kit per bulb or 1 kit for low 1 kit for high?
Old 04-01-2017, 07:34 PM   #5

Each kit contains 2 bulbs. But you need both the 9005 and 9006 kits to do both headlight assemblies if you want both the high and low beams.

Here is a link to the earlier thread on the lights: https://www.jaycoowners.com/forums/f5...ade-25283.html
Old 04-01-2017, 08:23 PM   #6

Wow!! Seriously what would we all do with out your help Robbbyr. Jayco needs to compensate you. Thanks so much, were still on the look out for the right unit but have narrowed it down to the 37ts. Was tempted with Force HD or the DX3 but over all you just can't beat what you get for the price with the Seneca.
Colombo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2017, 11:10 AM   #7

Thanks for the info Rob. Didn't realize that the Seneca had such crappy headlights so I will probably do this soon after delivery (hopefully in 2 weeks). I looked at the LED bulbs on the OPT-7 web site and they mention that they include ECM capacitors to eliminate bulb error messages. Did you have to use these capacitors? If so, was the install difficult?

Thanks!
javamon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2017, 12:22 PM   #8

Sorry to be a broken record on these threads, but check your local regulations before installing LED/HID light sources in an assembly made for halogens. It is not permitted in some areas.
whatimmadoboutmylegs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2017, 12:45 PM   #9

In British Columbia if the headlight did not come with HID lights they are illegal. I know a fellow who is a D.O.T
(CVSE) inspector and they will do a blitz every now and then and he told me that in a few days they had caught in excess of a hundred vehicles of all types with HID lights. They are fined and given 24 hours to have them removed. If the headlight lens doea not say HID then it is illegal to use them.
I am not sure about LED

Sent from my SM-N920W8 using Tapatalk
oldgrizz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2017, 02:07 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by javamon View Post
Thanks for the info Rob. Didn't realize that the Seneca had such crappy headlights so I will probably do this soon after delivery (hopefully in 2 weeks). I looked at the LED bulbs on the OPT-7 web site and they mention that they include ECM capacitors to eliminate bulb error messages. Did you have to use these capacitors? If so, was the install difficult?

Thanks!
I would advise you take it out yourself at night before you spend (more!) money on it. Especially when it is rainy with wet roads. But I have not seen anything myself or online that tells me Freightliner has improved the headlights on the newer chassis.

I did not have to use the capacitors and have not had any issues with errors, and I also have not seen anything that tells me Freightliner changed anything in the wiring on newer models.

And regarding the legality of headlight swaps, the other members are correct and I suggest you should evaluate the legality of changing headlights bulbs yourself. Now OPT7 claims they have done extensive research to ensure the beam pattern remains nearly the same so it doesn't create any more glare than a halogen bulb. And these are LED bulbs, not HID capsules that typically do generate more glare when put into a housing that is not designed for HID.

And there are Freightliner trucks (Cascadia at least) that do have LED headlights from the factory. So our units with LEDs may not raise suspicion since other Freightliners do have similar lights. The color temperature of the OPT7 lights seems to match the Cascadia's lights as compared to if you put them in an old VW Beetle where they would stick out like a sore thumb!