Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 06-25-2017, 01:22 PM   #1

Question Driving with the generator on to use AC's

Really new at this & don't have a clue. Can you drive with generator running? If so what do you do?? Help!!
Gr82rv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2017, 01:27 PM   #2

I have in the 3 Class C units I have owned. Even running cab air at full blast, if you have passengers in the back it gets too warm for comfort in the summer.

Costs you a little extra in fuel, but well worth it to keep the family comfy. We were in the Southwest last year at this time and often both rear A/Cs were going!
Toads: 2019 Ford Edge ST or 2013 Ford Focus ST
Robbbyr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2017, 01:37 PM   #3

Just remember when fuel tank gets to about 1/4 geny will stop running.
Old 06-25-2017, 02:23 PM   #4

Thank you!!
Old 07-06-2017, 02:25 PM   #5

It's worth noting that in some states, its illegal to run the generator while driving. The state of Virginia is one that comes to mind.
hussieskunk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2017, 02:37 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by hussieskunk View Post
It's worth noting that in some states, its illegal to run the generator while driving. The state of Virginia is one that comes to mind.
I have numerous friends with MH's and FW'S with genys in VA and they have never mentioned that and in the 40+ yrs we've been RVIing it has never been mentioned either.
Grumpy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2017, 03:15 PM   #7

I see no statutes that its illegal to run it in any state... heck, it's just another engine. It costs us about a half a gallon an hour to run the genset.
2 Bluetick Hounds
1 Newfoundland
1 Newfoundland / Black Lab Mix
1 Cairn Terrier
The Logans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2017, 03:54 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by hussieskunk View Post
Some RV generators are powered by propane, and in some limited driving situations the propane must be shut off. Tunnels and some bridges are examples when that requirement would apply. So by extension, running a propane generator might be termed "illegal" in that situation.

Also, some states prohibit extended diesel idling while a vehicle is parked. There is debate on whether that applies to RV generators parked in rest areas or not. Some semi trucks have diesel-powered APUs and those seem to be allowed where idling the chassis motor is prohibited.
Toads: 2019 Ford Edge ST or 2013 Ford Focus ST
Robbbyr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2017, 06:40 AM   #9

@Grumpy and @The Logans,
I cannot point you to a page number in the Virginia state regulations, but it was advice provided from multiple sources. All of them RV owners in the state - one of which was a senior member of the Virginia State Police. And most recently, my dealer confirmed it unsolicited. Perhaps its a new regulation.

I think that Robbbyr's interpretation is very well written. Although it would seem that semi's may be exempt because they are classified as commercial vehicles rather than personal/recreation vehicles??

It's probably not worthy of debater, because the authorities are not out to bust RVers for generator use. For our family, we don't operate the generator when motoring down the road.
hussieskunk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2017, 06:47 AM   #10

If it's hot out I run the generator when we are traveling, for AC we even have a crock pot cooking in the sink at times. It burns about 1/2 to 2/3 gallon of fuel per hour. well worth it for my families comfort.
Attached Thumbnails
Beachcomber rear 60 perc.jpg  
nma33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2017, 08:44 AM   #11

I am going to Florida & was concerned about if I can run RV air with generator. Thank you for all of the responses! Been practicing so look out heading to beach����
Old 07-07-2017, 09:41 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by nma33 View Post
If it's hot out I run the generator when we are traveling, for AC we even have a crock pot cooking in the sink at times. It burns about 1/2 to 2/3 gallon of fuel per hour. well worth it for my families comfort.
You don't need the generator to run a slow cooker! You can plug into the ac outlet by the television and turn on the inverter. We've done this multiple times. Nothing beats having dinner cooked when you arrive at your camping spot!
Old 07-07-2017, 10:43 AM   #13

I am new to the RV game but have been doing this often recently in the summer months. I don't see a problem with it at all.

It may be illegal in some states or counties because the generator is not subject to tailpipe emissions like the coach engine. I once worked on a commercial vehicle that would shut the generator off as soon as the emergency brake was released. This was all due to tail pipe emissions. If the generator is running while on the highway it has to comply to the same emissions standards as the coach. Personally I don't see the difference between rolling down the highway or sitting at a campsite.
Spanks79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2017, 11:54 AM   #14

Our TV outlet doesn't work when driving, I would have to get back there and clip the red wire that prevents the power. I have 2015 Precept 35UN, No outlets in the back work unless the generator is running or the shower power is on, the only outlets on the inverter are in the very front of the coach, next to passengers seat and in front inside under the sliding the top.

Having the slow cookers working is a wonderful thing!
Attached Thumbnails
Beachcombers 60 perc.jpg  
nma33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2017, 12:45 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by nma33 View Post
Our TV outlet doesn't work when driving, I would have to get back there and clip the red wire that prevents the power. I have 2015 Precept 35UN, No outlets in the back work unless the generator is running or the shower power is on, the only outlets on the inverter are in the very front of the coach, next to passengers seat and in front inside under the sliding the top.

Having the slow cookers working is a wonderful thing!
I have three outlets that work while driving, at the passenger seat, behind the bedroom tv and cabinet above the main tv on our 2016 Alante. Maybe they changed with the 2016 model year.