Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 06-19-2022, 02:57 PM   #1

Dually tire replacement

I've searched online and read opinions, but I wanted to get some from the community here. I searched and didn't see any.

I had a flat on driver dually. The tires were 1/2 worn so I had roadside replace both tires on the driver side with new ones.

Here is what I'm looking for more info on:

1) roadside guy said you really don't need to balance rear tires. Thoughts?

2) I replaced both tires on one side as there was a little less than 1/4" difference between new and old. Reading online said with such a difference extra load would be on the new causing extra heat. Between extra load and heat the new could have an early failure.

3) there is a difference in circumference between passenger and driver dually tires with the differential taking up the difference. Anything to worry about here?

I have some thoughts here but don't want to influence responses.

Thanks
mini4mw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2022, 03:07 PM   #2

You should always replace duals as a pair, so that decision was the right move. As to passenger vs driver no need to worry there. Balancing to me, is always good, but as he said, not really necessary as they probably weren't balanced coming from the factory.
Old 06-19-2022, 04:26 PM   #3

Agree with Grumpy better to replace as a pair. As far as balancing, don't believe the roadside help. Balancing is better for the tires and the whole chassis setup. I did balancing for engines and propellors for 25 years. Balancing helps it be as good as it can be.
t18skyguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2022, 05:00 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by mini4mw View Post
I've searched online and read opinions, but I wanted to get some from the community here. I searched and didn't see any.

I had a flat on driver dually. The tires were 1/2 worn so I had roadside replace both tires on the driver side with new ones.

2) I replaced both tires on one side as there was a little less than 1/4" difference between new and old. Reading online said with such a difference extra load would be on the new causing extra heat. Between extra load and heat the new could have an early failure.

3) there is a difference in circumference between passenger and driver dually tires with the differential taking up the difference. Anything to worry about here?

Thanks

1) You will get different opinions on balance dually.

2) Its best to have both tires on the same side of a dually close to same diameter. Otherwise the larger diameter takes most the punishment. Generally it wont fail because smaller diameter, unless some extreme conditions; its more it wears faster. It depends on the amount of difference.

3) not so much a concern across sides, in regards to wear. Wouldnt think the rear end is a concern, its open and accounts for such differences, turning etc.
dxrobertson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2022, 07:10 PM   #5

I have been selling tires for 50 years. I have always balanced dually tires!!
Ttlanders is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2022, 07:51 PM   #6

Regarding the balance and something I have been aware of, but keep in mind that I am not a tire man. Perhaps Ttlanders or others can add to this.

If I wasn't going to balance the tires on my dually (or trailer or...) then I would be certain to make sure that the person mounting the tires was aware of the manufactures red and yellow dots on the tires and the meaning of those dots. Most all, if not all new tires, have these dots and the yellow dot represents the lightest part of the tire and should be aligned with the valve stem. If the tire has a red dot, and the wheel also has a marking (not sure, dimple or otherwise) then the red dot on the tire represents a high spot and some wheels have a dimple representing a low spot, so in that case the wheel's dimple marking and tire's red dot are what should be aligned (allows for the tire to run true and then a balance should be done.

In any case, many times that I have purchased tires I would ask the person mounting the tire what those dots mean and I don't remember any of the tire mounters knowing the answer. I will add that when\if you are going to balance the tire anyway, then it really doesn't matter very much if the yellow dot is lined up with the valve stem although doing so should allow for the least amount of weights on the wheel. ~CA
Old 06-19-2022, 08:34 PM   #7

Thanks for all the info. Confirms and adds more detail to what I read online and believed more accurate.

As always, appreciate the experience of the forum.
Old 06-22-2022, 05:19 AM   #8

I suppose the first odd thing I see a lot (but makes sense) is people do not rotate the tires. At least from my experience I see two things that pop up most often:

1. Motorhomes tend to have front outside feathering issues over time which develops to tire chop. If they are rotated this takes much longer to become a problem, if it all.
2. The rears wear faster and if rotated properly you won't notice.
3. Yes balance matters A LOT.

If you have a new tire, put it on the front.

I use my hydraulic leveling jacks all the time to rotate tires. I lift one side of the vehicle at a time. Never had an issue. I suppose if you don't have the jacks it will be monumentally more difficult to rotate them. Discount tire (or similar) will though.

Replacing as a pair seems situational. If you blow out a tire that is 5 years old, sure, replace both. If the tire is 2 years or less that seems like a waste of money.
foglght is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2022, 09:38 AM   #9
CAG

Quote:
Originally Posted by mini4mw View Post

Thanks
I am no expert but the old rule was if one, front or back needs to be replaced you replace both on that end of the vehicle and as to balancing, if you want all of the dishes in your cabinet to be on the floor while driving 65 on an unbalanced tire, don’t balance it. Your wife will never let you live down the results.

CAG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2022, 09:47 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by foglght View Post
Replacing as a pair seems situational. If you blow out a tire that is 5 years old, sure, replace both. If the tire is 2 years or less that seems like a waste of money.
Nothing to do with age, but tire circumfrence difference due to wear.
Grumpy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2022, 04:23 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grumpy View Post
Nothing to do with age, but tire circumfrence difference due to wear.
The point was you have about 15/32" of tread when new (hankook). A 2 year old tire is likely to still have 10-12/32" tread left and the circumference difference is negligible. Even a 5 year old tire would probably have at least 5/32 tread left, which would be about 5/8" total difference.
Old 06-23-2022, 04:30 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by foglght View Post
The point was you have about 15/32" of tread when new (hankook). A 2 year old tire is likely to still have 10-12/32" tread left and the circumference difference is negligible. Even a 5 year old tire would probably have at least 5/32 tread left, which would be about 5/8" total difference.
I guess the engineers are clueless....

Why Replace Tires In Pairs
Because a new tire won't be as worn as the old ones, you should really change at least two at a time. The tire depth needs to stay relatively the same, and that just can't happen when you pair a brand new tire with an old, worn one.
Old 06-24-2022, 03:58 PM   #13

Quote:

Because a new tire won't be as worn as the old ones, you should really change at least two at a time. The tire depth needs to stay relatively the same, and that just can't happen when you pair a brand new tire with an old, worn one.
No not clueless, just likely adding in safety factors for LCD people that lack math skills.
Old 06-24-2022, 04:20 PM   #14
Lost in the Woods

Quote:

What does "relatively the same" mean? If you're replacing both tires they'd be exactly the same.
Onyrlef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2022, 05:52 PM   #15
CAG

Quote:
Originally Posted by Onyrlef View Post
What does "relatively the same" mean? If you're replacing both tires they'd be exactly the same.

I think that is why most are saying replace both rather than just one. Relatively the same.

CAG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2022, 08:51 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Onyrlef View Post

It prevents us engineers from going out and doing measurements and finding diameters of 32.224, 32.196, 32.791 and 31.995 and screaming "Ah ha! They're NOT exactly the same!!!"

Kind'a silly since the tires squish down under load which has to screw up the math a bit anyway.
Old 06-25-2022, 01:41 AM   #17
Lost in the Woods

Quote:
Originally Posted by pconroy View Post
It prevents us engineers from going out and doing measurements and finding diameters of 32.224, 32.196, 32.791 and 31.995 and screaming "Ah ha! They're NOT exactly the same!!!"

Kind'a silly since the tires squish down under load which has to screw up the math a bit anyway.
I'm an engineer and the point was rhetorical. As foglght pointed out a neglible difference in tire diameter means they are relatively the same. Pretty sure infintesimal and practically unmeasurable differences in tire diameter are irrelevant. If the tires loaded diameters are relatively the same, the load is distributed evenly between the two and you're good.
Onyrlef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2022, 11:51 AM   #18

Agreed that both should be replaced depending on the situation. Looking at a typical LT tire LT225/75R16. Their weight rating is 2469 lbs in dually set up so x4 you get 9876 lbs for a 9700 lb rated axle but you lose a tire that rating goes down to 7407 lbs and most of the weight will be carried on the side of the blowout so you end up exceeding capacity of that tire which can cause damage that isnt immediately visible but could show itself at an inopportune time.
uberpain21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2022, 11:53 AM   #19

I have thought of upping the tire weight capacity on my right rear dualies as I tow a 2009 Honda CRV. I have a 2005 Grewhawk 27DS and have experienced tire blowouts on the passenger right rear outside tire 2x. Both tires where replaced n balanced. Any suggestions?
Meshell2u is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2022, 12:04 PM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meshell2u View Post
I have thought of upping the tire weight capacity on my right rear dualies as I tow a 2009 Honda CRV. I have a 2005 Grewhawk 27DS and have experienced tire blowouts on the passenger right rear outside tire 2x. Both tires where replaced n balanced. Any suggestions?
These vehicles are unlikely to have been corner balanced from the factory. It would be interesting to see what each corner weighs. They could have installed enough equipment on one side of the vehicle to actually overload the tires on that side.

On the class C, the 2 tires in the rear do NOT equate to 2x the load carrying capacity. Its slightly lower and that rating is at 80PSI, whether that is hot or cold.

I haven't been able to locate the hankook load sheet, but the michelin one is available:

https://www.rvsafety.com/images/pdf/...ionrvtruck.pdf

Rear GAWR (Gross Axle Weight Rating) of the rear is likely 9,500lbs. The tires @ 80PSI can handle about 5,900lbs per set, but you need to check your tires for specifics. No reason to run 80psi if you don't need it.

However, if Jayco in their infinite wisdom created an RV that overloads one set of tires you'll get lots of blowouts if they aren't at 80PSI HOT. Some of the rigs have a single super slide and I've seen pressure and temperature differences on the rears. The CAT scales will only do Front and rear, so you'd need to find another solution.

Tags
balancing, dually tire, replace tire