Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 11-15-2022, 01:13 PM   #1

Dually tire valve extentions

I have a 2021 Jayco Melbourne 24L and am amazed at the placement of the tire inflation valves. How am I supposed to test pressure and/or add air?
Has anyone put on extenders and if so what kind?
Doshlaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2022, 01:21 PM   #2

When I had a dually I went with these...

https://www.rvupgradestore.com/Stain...-p/92-9242.htm

2022 33RBTS
Progressive Industries EMS - Hardwired
Equalizer 4 Point WDH
2021 Ford F350 7.3
Air Lift Rear Bags w/ On Board Compressor (Pending)
2016 28BHBE - (Traded and Missed already)
Marcm157 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2022, 01:23 PM   #3

I asked my dealer about this. He didn't recommend the floppy hose extensions. If I wanted hard piped extensions, he recommended going to a commercial truck tire shop.

One of my friends recommended this type of tire gage

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00XCANO4O...roduct_details

The tech at my local RV dealer told me of compressed air places locally that have the nozzle needed to fill my tires. I don't know what I'll do when I'm on the road.
LukeDagny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2022, 09:44 AM   #4

I too opted for a truck tire outlet, in Albuquerque.
It installed solid metal extensions. Makes checking tire pressure easy.
Over the years, there have been many posts on this topic. And not everyone agrees extensions should be used at all.
I've had no issues in 13 years.
Being able to easily check psi is better than it being a nuisance -- and thus not checking. That's a problem.
thirdktm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2022, 10:38 AM   #5
CAG

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doshlaw View Post
I have a 2021 Jayco Melbourne 24L and am amazed at the placement of the tire inflation valves. How am I supposed to test pressure and/or add air?

There are mucho threads on this topic for about every model. Including some lengthy discussions. Try the search feature at the top of the page with about any topic and there is a wealth of info available.

CAG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2022, 06:57 AM   #6

MB uses rubber valve stems. When you put extensions on they fatigue the rubber and leak.
One if the best mods I have done is the following.
https://yourtireshopsupply.com/page/...ve-information

Good luck.
2016 Ford Focus set up to flat tow
Pfflyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2022, 10:41 AM   #7

Quote:
MB uses rubber valve stems. When you put extensions on they fatigue the rubber and leak.
That looks like a good solution. Anybody know what type of TPMS sensors are used by Jayco? Internal sensor or band mounted sensor?
Old 11-19-2022, 11:47 AM   #8

I have tried different style extenders and I do not recommend any of them. I would suggest a metal pre-shaped valve stem made for duallies over any extension.

However, I determined on the Ford (and some other trucks) that all you really need is a "straight" tire gauge and chuck and with that you can reach the original tire valve stems. That is what I use.

Here is one similar to what I am referencing, you can get gauges and chucks for filling that are straight at the end and angled still for the outside tire.

https://www.amazon.com/CZC-AUTO-Stra...s%2C227&sr=8-2
Old 11-19-2022, 03:31 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by LukeDagny View Post
That looks like a good solution. Anybody know what type of TPMS sensors are used by Jayco? Internal sensor or band mounted sensor?
Neither. You will need to supply your own. I went with the cap style.
Old 11-19-2022, 07:33 PM   #10

I have had poor luck with extensions. My solution was to go with Internal band type TPMS sensors on the inner duals and cap type on the remaining wheels. They have worked perfectly for two years and I like having continual knowledge of pressure in all six tires.
RVJayhawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2022, 08:54 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pfflyer View Post
Neither. You will need to supply your own. I went with the cap style.
My friends 2021 Greyhawk and my 2023 Greyhawk came with TPMS, but I don't know what type of sensor Ford used.
Old 11-19-2022, 09:12 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pfflyer View Post

Good luck.
Did you take them to a truck tire shop to have them installed? How much, if you don't mind answering that's OK.
Main purpose of Jayco is for camping at racetracks.
I am a volunteer corner worker for Sports Car Club of America.
SmokeyBear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2022, 09:20 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmokeyBear View Post
Did you take them to a truck tire shop to have them installed? How much, if you don't mind answering that's OK.
I took it to an independent tire dealer that does some medium duty truck work. Best I can recall it cost around $200 total. There are specific instructions to the installation of these dually valves. Make sure you let the installer know. I think I may have offended the installer when I said I wanted them installed per instructions but it is what it is. As a side note to those that have a Sprinter based RV. This may apply to other chassis as well but, don’t let a tire shop to lift the whole rear end of your RV with a Jack on the differential case. Not is it just plain lazy it can damage the differential case.
Old 11-20-2022, 10:08 AM   #14

Here is something to consider. Years back I was going to have some similar valve stems installed on my E450 and the tire shop told me that they could install them but wouldn't be able to balance the tires with the two longer valve stems as the additional length would not allow the wheel to fit in the balancer. Just a thought to share, perhaps what I was told was specific to the balancer that they (GoodYear) used and other balancers may be different. Something to consider and ask about anyway. ~CA
Attached Thumbnails
Capture.jpg  
Old 11-30-2022, 02:41 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doshlaw View Post
Isn't it ridiculous, though? And I've been RVing for 22 years and no one in the RV industry has been willing to think outside the box and come up with RV rear wheels that have dual rim inner valve stems easily accessible.

And the rims, even on the bigger wheels don't have holes big enough for you to get your hands through. And, despite all the bad publicity about the problem, they are still making them that way.

And it's not just filling and measuring the inner tire air pressure that is difficult. You also want to use tire pressure monitoring devices on the stems and you can't get in there to install them or to change the batteries.

So, everybody uses valve extenders which, though, many shops don't want the liability of installing them, the extenders are reliable. You can use either wire mesh flex hoses or, if you can bend your inner brass valve stems to line up directly with the holes in the rims, you can use solid, straight stainless valve extenders.

But remember to always use rubber gromets in the rim holes for the extenders to pass through. The gromets dampen the vibrations of the extenders so they don't fret against the metal edges of the holes.

I've used both for over twenty years and the only problem I ever had was when I didn't bend the inner wheel valve stem so it lined up exactly with the rim hole and the straight extender did not seat completely causing slow leakage.
hikerjohn7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2022, 06:37 PM   #16

I went to a local tire repair supplier and got some flexible braided
metal extensions and they work great. Mine came with some plastic extensions that sucked
royphillips is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2022, 09:18 PM   #17

Valve Extension

Quote:
Yes, rubber valve stems won't work with extensions. Metal is needed to be strong enough to support them.

The product you attached looks like someone has finally recognized the problem after all these years and come up with a product that is designed to address it.

Thanks for the tip.
Old 12-05-2022, 09:29 PM   #18

TPM - Jayco

Quote:
Unless Jayco recently started offering tire pressure monitoring systems, I don't think they provide them. I am pretty sure they are like all other RV brands in that they leave that up to the purchaser. I like TireMinder TPMs. But there are lots of brands on the market.

One thing I like about my TireMinder TPMS is its electronic display shows all ten of my tire pressures on a single screen (6 RV and 4 toad wheels). I can also click a button and have the display switch to temperatures.

See the TireMinder A1AS...

https://www.tireminder.com/products/
Old 12-11-2022, 07:21 PM   #19

I removed the wheel liners an put them in storage until I get ready to sell.
Old 12-19-2022, 10:45 AM   #20

I used this one after having one of the flexible ones sling off on a trip. Luckily it was on an outside tire. Bought the kit and had them installed when I bought new tires that were aged out. Only thing to look out for is make sure the tire installers know how to install the valves. I had to stand over them and show the how at Discount Tire.

https://www.amazon.com/DL1EC-Chrome-.../dp/B077MG3GZY
Thunderbolt is offline   Reply With Quote