Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 06-26-2016, 11:13 AM   #1

E-450 conditioner quit

Our 2016 Ford E-450 air conditioner Quit on the way to our camp sight. It was cold for the first 20 min or so . The air conditioner clutch engages for a few seconds the stops. The clutch engages so the fuse should be good. I don't see any oil spots on the lines indicating a Freon leak . Has any one had trouble with Ford air Conditioner ?
Davidmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2016, 03:04 PM   #2

None. Its POWERFUL too.

On the sidelines taking it all in.

Jopopsy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2016, 08:41 AM   #3

Captain Obvious - but the (some) AC units should turn off when engine is under load. I'm guessing that's NOT the case? You're just parked? Is the fan running? So it looks like a compressor issue?
pconroy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2016, 09:48 AM   #4

I called my local Ford dealer and was able to get an appointment in one half hour , When I arrived the service writer said they don't usually work on motor homes . I had informed them it was a motor home when I made the appointment . None the less they agreed to look at it . After two hour wait the mechanic informed me that it was a little low on Freon and that he could not find a leak . he charged it an was working now . I had High hopes that Ford would able to fix the problem . Now I have to hope that when it quits again I am near some place that will be able to fix it. I am so frustrated with my 2016 Jayco MV29 It has been one problem after another . My first RV experience has not been a happy one .
Old 06-27-2016, 11:09 AM   #5

Compressor short-cycling is not "just a little low on Freon". That is an indication of several possible problems:

1) Refrigerant very low. The low side (reserve) pressure is dropping below what the compressor needs to operate properly. Usually, around 1/2 a pound of refrigerant is needed.

2) (Unusual -- but should be suspected in a new vehicle) Overcharged. The high-pressure side is going too high. Cutting out on safety.

3) Radiator fans insufficient. If the condenser doesn't get enough airflow, vapor will be sent to the cabin. Over-temp safeties will trip until things settle back down.

Some compressor cycling is normal, but not to the point of discomfort.

Sitting in The Cheap Seats.
And proud of it!
mike837go is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2016, 12:03 PM   #6

Angry

Mike Thanks for the input. I really feel that the dealer was not interested in repairing my unit . We were running at highway speed about 40 min including drive way start up . We had a heavy down pour . I had reached for the fan switch to turn the fan speed down , instead I grabbed the AC knob and turned it from max AC to AC it felt like humid outside air at that point . When I realized it wasn't working I shut the air off . About 20 min later I tried it again the air was cold for several min then stopped . When I got home I looked at the compressor clutch it only runs a sec them stops . The mechanic realized after talking to me that I actually understood how the air conditioner worked , I went to trade school and worked as a mechanic for 15 years before I started a different business . I contacted my RV dealer and they gave me the nearest Ford Truck center an Hour away . Tomorrow I will run the RV for several Hours until then AC cuts out again . I am to PO to drive in Traffic today . These days I am surprised when things get fixed the first time .
Old 06-27-2016, 01:00 PM   #7

Yeah, Automotive A/C is such a tricky thing. Especially if there have been any mods to the vehicle.

But that doesn't excuse poor workmanship or turning away potential business.

Personally, I don't trust auto mechanics. Especially the dealer's service department.

I've been doing all my own repairs for over 30 years. Other than expensive warrantee work or recall items, I keep my cars as far from the dealer as possible. Annual inspections are done by automotive shops. I found one near home that I can trust to just do the inspection and not find "3 little thing that should be done now."

Wishing you a sincere "Good Luck" in getting it fixed properly.

Adding some UV dye to the top-up charge will help find the more insidious leeks. A hand held halon-based detector, used in the cabin may help determine if the evaporator (buried under the dash) is cracked.

Sitting in The Cheap Seats.
And proud of it!
mike837go is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2016, 01:24 PM   #8

Finding a refrigerant leak

One of the most common places to look is the discharge hose from the compressor, it is very hot from the heat of compression and this sometimes causes it to deteriorate first in some systems. Look along it's length for signs of oil, this line runs from the compressor to the condenser coil in-front of the radiator. All oring fittings should be given a visual check for oil leakage throughout the system. Look at the hood inside, is there a visual line on it in-line with the compressor pulley, this could indicate a compressor seal leaking.

If none are found, the default place is where you can't see, the evaporator coil inside the dash.
CharlieD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2016, 01:29 PM   #9

Sounds like the blend door motor (actuator) or the cycling switch.
W/Air Lift air bags (front & rear)
Equal-I-Zer™ WDH & B&W Companion
TWP723 is offline   Reply With Quote