Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 03-24-2022, 05:16 PM   #221
Site Team

There have been many many folks here that have added the additional pully without any problems. There's a lot of give to the tensioner pulley, so there's no reason to change the belt length.

The belt has a long distance between the pulleys, and the new pulley will shorten that, and take out the "flutter" that's making the vibration. It'll probably take you longer to get your tools out than install the pulley.

2012 Jay Flight 19RD
2016 Ford F150 XLT 2X4 SC 3.5L Eco Max Tow
2010 Tundra TRD DBL Cab (Traded)
2 new fluffy Corgis, Bayley and Stanley
JFlightRisk is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2022, 08:38 PM   #222

Quote:
Originally Posted by Antper View Post
Here is the question I have. Hopefully not derail this post. If you were to add an additional pulley where the threaded bolt hole is to your right if your facing the engine, would the existing factory installed belt be to tight of a fit and go a tad larger or use existing factory spec belt?
I found that it does not deflect the belt enough to affect the belt size. The pulley just leans on the belt, keeping it stable.
2000 Jeep Sahara

"Any advice I give or facts I present are valid to the best of my knowledge,
but I am not responsible if you follow it and you **** your **** up."
Bullitt6283 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2022, 10:07 AM   #223

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bullitt6283 View Post
I found that it does not deflect the belt enough to affect the belt size. The pulley just leans on the belt, keeping it stable.
X2

When you install the 2nd pulley, you barely need to push the belt down to slide the pulley on. Takes a little more than pinky finger effort to push.
Old 04-12-2022, 07:46 PM   #224

Quote:
Originally Posted by mini4mw View Post
Ever since it was new, the RV would have a fast rattle in the engine compartment when accelerating between 1800-2400 RPM, mostly 2nd gear, 30-45MPH. Sometimes it would happen for a second or two, other times for several seconds. Seems since it has got colder it doesn't happen as often. It wouldn't happen throughout the entire RPM distance, but it would almost always be there, usually ~2100RPM. Let go of the throttle or when it shifts and the rattle goes away. After 12k miles I finally decided to start trying to figure out what it was. Engine runs fine, no power loss, no mis-fires. Its not bad gas as I've gone through plenty of tanks. I stuck a gopro off the radiator and captured the below.

https://youtu.be/Oa6cr2dFkPE

You can hear the rattle start at :15 and then watch the belt vibrate erratically until you don't even see it for a few seconds. Rattle slows down and belt goes back to normal.

What is the cause of this? Bad belt? Bad tensioner? Pulley out of alignment? Something else? I'd think worst case is premature belt failure, right?

thanks-
I had this problem on my 2017 E450. Ford use to have a idler pulley on the top of the engine. In their great wisdom they removed it, I believe in the early 1970s. The engine still has the threaded bolt hole for the pulley. Add an idler pulley to the engine and the noise will be gone. It is an easy install No special tools, and nothing to remove.You will need to get the idler pulley bolt from Ford. That is the only place I could find it. The bolt comes in a two pack, and cost me about $10 approx. 2 years ago. You can get the idler pulley from any parts store. Advance Auto Parts had it for about $20 with a lifetime warranty. Autozone did not have the lifetime warranty. You will be asking for an idler pulley, and bolt as if you are replacing the one that is on it all ready. But you will be adding an additional idler pulley to the top of your engine.
Enforcer110 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2022, 02:53 AM   #225

Getting ready to add the pully this weekend before our VA to Mt Rushmore trip in a few weeks. Hope this gets rid of that annoying sound.
Don McC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2022, 06:44 AM   #226
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don McC View Post
Getting ready to add the pully this weekend before our VA to Mt Rushmore trip in a few weeks. Hope this gets rid of that annoying sound.
We'd all like to hear if it worked for you. I bet it does.

2012 Jay Flight 19RD
2016 Ford F150 XLT 2X4 SC 3.5L Eco Max Tow
2010 Tundra TRD DBL Cab (Traded)
2 new fluffy Corgis, Bayley and Stanley
JFlightRisk is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2022, 03:15 PM   #227

Easiest fix I’ve ever done on a vehicle. No more belt sound at 2000-2500 rpm’s and it’s so nice
Don McC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2022, 11:12 AM   #228

I started a thread on this a while back. The sound my V 10 makes once in a while isn’t exactly a rattle but more of an air rushing or water rushing sound, but it may be the same as yours. I don’t correlate it to an exact temperature but I’ll pay attention to that next trip. At first I thought it might be air sucking in the throttle body, but I’m still not sure.

Someone on here responded to my post with an actual video of a camera setup in their engine compartment as they drive. They said it was the idler/tensioner pulley. They also posted previous years Ford had attached a second idler pulley, they even showed the bolt pattern on the engine block where It belongs.

Long story short, I’m still not quite sure what my sound is but it very rarely happens and if I can’t pinpoint it I am not wasting my time at a dealer!
Johnynorthland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2022, 11:28 AM   #229

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnynorthland View Post
I started a thread on this a while back. The sound my V 10 makes once in a while isn’t exactly a rattle but more of an air rushing or water rushing sound, but it may be the same as yours. I don’t correlate it to an exact temperature but I’ll pay attention to that next trip. At first I thought it might be air sucking in the throttle body, but I’m still not sure.

Someone on here responded to my post with an actual video of a camera setup in their engine compartment as they drive. They said it was the idler/tensioner pulley. They also posted previous years Ford had attached a second idler pulley, they even showed the bolt pattern on the engine block where It belongs.

Long story short, I’m still not quite sure what my sound is but it very rarely happens and if I can’t pinpoint it I am not wasting my time at a dealer!
The harmonic of the serpentine vibration is a $20-$40 DIY FIX (10-min under hood) (variance in freight $$/ source); With proper part in hand, and proper wrench/ socket, remove air filter housing parts as required to reach location, install idler by hand, and snug mounting bolt w/ wrench, reinstall AF parts and close the hood; NO Dealer service or parts required. My 99 chassis did require the HEX Head bolt vs the TORX head, so I had to reorder. but otherwise, extremely easy job a week/ so later.
thenne1713 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2022, 11:32 AM   #230

Quote:
Originally Posted by thenne1713 View Post
The harmonic of the serpentine vibration is a $20-$40 DIY FIX (10-min under hood) (variance in freight $$/ source); With proper part in hand, and proper wrench/ socket, remove air filter housing parts as required to reach location, install idler by hand, and snug mounting bolt w/ wrench, reinstall AF parts and close the hood; NO Dealer service or parts required. My 99 chassis did require the HEX Head bolt vs the TORX head, so I had to reorder. but otherwise, extremely easy job a week/ so later.

I’m confused, so your saying you added this missing idler pulley?
Old 11-01-2022, 11:35 AM   #231

If for no other reason that it may extend the life of the belt, installing the missing pulley is something worth doing. And you can likely do it yourself in a few minutes.

Adding the pulley cured the noise I was having.

Video:

2000 Jeep Sahara

Old 11-01-2022, 11:39 AM   #232

on the other hand i just changed the belt and the noise went away for me. It has been about 20K miles since the change and it is still quiet.
Berjr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2022, 11:42 AM   #233

Quote:
If for no other reason that it may extend the life of the belt, installing the missing pulley is something worth doing. And you can likely do it yourself in a few minutes.

Adding the pulley cured the noise I was having.

Video:

Yup! That’s the noise! I purchased the Goodyear belt but never put it on. Does anyone have the link to the pulley and hardware?
Old 11-01-2022, 11:50 AM   #234

My vehicle is a 2016 Jayco Greyhawk 29MV with the Ford E450 chassis and the V10 gas motor.
The bolt I used is p/n N808102 S437
The pulley I used is the same pulley that is mounted on the passenger-side of the motor. Pulley is (Motorcraft YS-385) #1L2Z-8678-AD.

Be careful when tightening the bolt. You're threading into aluminum.
2000 Jeep Sahara

Old 11-01-2022, 11:55 AM   #235

Quote:
Originally Posted by Berjr View Post
on the other hand i just changed the belt and the noise went away for me. It has been about 20K miles since the change and it is still quiet.
You have better luck than I had. My noise came back after a belt change. Then I discovered the missing pulley.
2000 Jeep Sahara

Old 11-01-2022, 11:58 AM   #236

Quote:
My vehicle is a 2016 Jayco Greyhawk 29MV with the Ford E450 chassis and the V10 gas motor.
The bolt I used is p/n N808102 S437
The pulley I used is the same pulley that is mounted on the passenger-side of the motor. Pulley is (Motorcraft YS-385) #1L2Z-8678-AD.

Be careful when tightening the bolt. You're threading into aluminum.
Awesome info, thanks for posting that, is the mounting location easy to find? I had the diagram of its location but misplaced it.
Old 11-01-2022, 12:04 PM   #237

Quote:
Awesome info, thanks for posting that, is the mounting location easy to find? I had the diagram of its location but misplaced it.
Here you go...
Click image for larger version

Name:	TritonV10.jpg
Views:	21
Size:	263.2 KB
ID:	84995
jyh818 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2022, 12:28 PM   #238

Quote:
Originally Posted by jyh818 View Post
Here you go...
Attachment 84995

Awesome, unbelievable that ford deleted it, probably to save money and bring up their bottom line!
Old 11-01-2022, 12:34 PM   #239

Quote:

That pulley part number is coming back for an F150 I guess the parts are interchangeable?
Old 11-01-2022, 12:54 PM   #240

Quote:
That pulley part number is coming back for an F150 I guess the parts are interchangeable?
The front cam-drive cover of the V10 and the other Triton V8s are pretty much the same.

2000 Jeep Sahara