Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 11-01-2022, 03:02 PM   #241

I just ordered everything on eBay. Thanks. I’ll hold off and change everything in the spring most likely. But I feel much better now that I know the fix for this mystery noise and I’ll have the parts in hand!
Johnynorthland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2022, 10:07 PM   #242

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnynorthland View Post
I’m confused, so your saying you added this missing idler pulley?
Yes, I did add the missing pulley, and many other v-10 owners did also; adding removes an intermittent harmonic chirp/ warble or chatter of serpentine. Good Luck
thenne1713 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2023, 09:48 PM   #243

This has been driving me crazy for over a year. Just ordered the parts tonight. Should have in a few days.

Thanks

mac 'good stuff' gyvr
My idea of a perfect vacation is a road trip through beautiful country. To make it really fun, all that's needed is a modified vehicle, a few close friends, and some serious off-roading. Cole Quinnell - Editor, 4WOR, Dec 99
macgyvr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2023, 01:58 PM   #244

Fixed E450 engine rattle

May 10th, 2023. I have a 2019 Greyhawk 312GS with an E450 motor. Have always had a rattle in the engine, but recently become more noticeable. I have less the 30K miles on my RV. Anyways decided to have looked into. What my mechanic found was a plastic baffle inside the valve cover that had become dislodged and was touching the lifters causing the RATTLING noise. while in there, i had replace the belt, the idler pully and water pump as preventative maintenance.. New valve cover remedied the issue. Just wanted to pass it along to other members that might be having the noise issue....God Bless and Safe Travels
Tobster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2023, 02:13 PM   #245
RPR

For future reference the engine has a 5 year 60,000 warranty from Ford.
RPR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2023, 02:45 PM   #246

Sorry.. I missed typed...its a 2009 not 2019... wishful thinking I guess! way past the 5 year mark

Thank you
Tobster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2023, 04:35 AM   #247

It looks like there were a few different fixes for the same issue. I had the serpentine belt replaced 2x only to have it squeak and rattle again. FORD took my RV in for 3 weeks told me this was a known problem and they added a tensioner and put on a different size belt. Last 3500 miles have been squeak free.
rndsommer40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2023, 07:06 AM   #248

Quote:
Originally Posted by rndsommer40 View Post
It looks like there were a few different fixes for the same issue. I had the serpentine belt replaced 2x only to have it squeak and rattle again. FORD took my RV in for 3 weeks told me this was a known problem and they added a tensioner and put on a different size belt. Last 3500 miles have been squeak free.
Yea, I bought that extra belt tensioner for my 2019, and if I could just remember where the heck I put it! I need to install it. If Ford knows there is an issue they should’ve did recalls!
Old 06-21-2023, 07:24 AM   #249
RPR

Replaced our 2018 belt when it was a year old with a high quality belt. Took care of the problem. Have to be carful. Couple auto parts sites came up with two belts but specs showed just a tad difference in length. All had the larger one in stock. I ordered the one that was a tad smaller and high quality.
RPR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2023, 07:53 AM   #250

Quote:
Yea, I bought that extra belt tensioner for my 2019, and if I could just remember where the heck I put it! I need to install it. If Ford knows there is an issue they should’ve did recalls!
Should have been a TSB for the belt. They did tell me while the squeaking posed no real safety issue it would've resulted in premature belt failure. I had mine done in the first 2 years of ownership. Other than the belt the FORD part of my Class C is great. Let's not get into the Jayco part.
Old 06-21-2023, 08:11 AM   #251

Quote:
Extra idler pulley or extra tensioner? Does the extra tensioner go where the extra idler pulley would go? ~CA
Old 06-21-2023, 08:13 AM   #252

Quote:
Perhaps my previous comment would be better asked of you. Did Ford add an extra idler pulley or extra tensioner pulley and if they added another tensioner, can you share where they added it? Thanks, ~CA
Old 06-21-2023, 08:14 AM   #253

Quote:
Should have been a TSB for the belt. They did tell me while the squeaking posed no real safety issue it would've resulted in premature belt failure. I had mine done in the first 2 years of ownership. Other than the belt the FORD part of my Class C is great. Let's not get into the Jayco part.
Yea, I bought the gator belt, that I still have just can’t seem to figure out where I put that extra pully!
Old 06-21-2023, 08:28 AM   #254

Quote:
Originally Posted by craigav View Post
Extra idler pulley or extra tensioner? Does the extra tensioner go where the extra idler pulley would go? ~CA
Sorry, it’s just that extra missing pully
Old 06-21-2023, 08:49 AM   #255

Quote:
Originally Posted by craigav View Post
Perhaps my previous comment would be better asked of you. Did Ford add an extra idler pulley or extra tensioner pulley and if they added another tensioner, can you share where they added it? Thanks, ~CA
I dont recall which it was. I have the invoice. I'll look it up and post what it says.
Old 06-21-2023, 09:01 AM   #256

Pully location

Ford missing pully location
Attached Thumbnails
F3A8A26D-5AF8-4234-9125-2E22B791C329.jpeg  
Old 06-21-2023, 11:30 AM   #257

I have the invoice and what was done to stop the squealing belt. Having a hard time uploading it.
Old 06-21-2023, 11:42 AM   #258

This is the work order. Good luck
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20230621_132145.jpg (3.19 MB, 27 views)
Old 07-12-2023, 09:02 PM   #259

A huge thank you to mini4mw, Bullitt6283, and everybody else for providing the helpful information! The extra pulley 100% resolved the issue for me :-)

In an effort to make resolving this issue as simple as possible and reach more people that might be affected by it, I put together an explanation, demonstration, and step-by-step solution video here: https://youtu.be/5emwi97XyuM
L.I.F.E. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2023, 03:40 PM   #260

Quote:
Originally Posted by mini4mw View Post
Ever since it was new, the RV would have a fast rattle in the engine compartment when accelerating between 1800-2400 RPM, mostly 2nd gear, 30-45MPH. Sometimes it would happen for a second or two, other times for several seconds. Seems since it has got colder it doesn't happen as often. It wouldn't happen throughout the entire RPM distance, but it would almost always be there, usually ~2100RPM. Let go of the throttle or when it shifts and the rattle goes away. After 12k miles I finally decided to start trying to figure out what it was. Engine runs fine, no power loss, no mis-fires. Its not bad gas as I've gone through plenty of tanks. I stuck a gopro off the radiator and captured the below.

https://youtu.be/Oa6cr2dFkPE

You can hear the rattle start at :15 and then watch the belt vibrate erratically until you don't even see it for a few seconds. Rattle slows down and belt goes back to normal.

What is the cause of this? Bad belt? Bad tensioner? Pulley out of alignment? Something else? I'd think worst case is premature belt failure, right?

thanks-
I had thought I was insane when I first heard the "rattle". Got a good Ford tech and went for a test drive and in 30 seconds turned around and went back. Idler pulley and belt. Back again about a year later. All quiet this year until a little chirp this weekend. I wonder if the belt break in and stretches a minute amount that the idler spring cannot compensate.
StevoClassC is offline   Reply With Quote