Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 08-09-2021, 12:49 PM   #1

E-450 Engine Trouble

I drove my 2021 Greyhawk 27U from Seattle up to Alaska via the Al-Can last week. Beautiful drive until I hit a particularly bumpy stretch of the Alaska Highway. <10 MPH, but the vibration was still pretty bad. So bad, in fact, that it shattered the connector between my power brakes/steering line and the water pump (see picture.)

I'm not a mechanic so I may be mis-naming these parts, but the way the mechanic explained it to me, Ford went cheap by using a basic plastic connector that doesn't do well with extreme heat and vibration. He said it wasn't the first example of this flaw he had seen and couldn't understand why Ford didn't stick with a metal/flanged connector.

Regardless, for those driving with the 2021 E-450 chassis equipped with the 7.3L V-8, be extra-careful to avoid excess vibration.

Anyone else run into this one?
Attached Thumbnails
E-450 Flaw.jpg  
907-Jayco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2021, 01:16 PM   #2

Thanks for the heads up. I wonder if there is a way to reinforce that to prevent this from happening? Perhaps Ford would issue a recall?
jyh818 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2021, 01:18 PM   #3

E-450 Engine Trouble

You'd think this would justify a recall! I looked up my VIN in the recall database, but unfortunately nothing listed around this issue.

The mechanic (in Tok, Alaska!) who is working on it now had to order the replacement from a Ford dealership in Redding, CA since they're backordered up and down the West Coast. Once I have the unit back, I may try to order a spare just to have it on hand.
Old 08-09-2021, 01:42 PM   #4

I just went out to look at mine and the plastic connector is probably inside the nut. Perhaps it's the flare portion. The rest looks like it's metal.

Those lines appear to be power steering fluid lines going into/out of the steering gear box?

Question is if it is possible to replace it with an earlier model power steering line connector that is all metal flare?
jyh818 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2021, 01:51 PM   #5

That is the power steering lower pressure line that you see. Connects to the line that ultimately connects to the P/S pump. The fitting has been used for years in other various Ford models. Not known for being a problem and contains no plastic. The only plastic it has is a Teflon seal on the threaded part, that's it. I doubt they'd still be using it 26 years after first using it if it were problematic. I think what happened to you is just happenstance.
W/Air Lift air bags (front & rear)
Equal-I-Zer™ WDH & B&W Companion
TWP723 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2021, 02:21 PM   #6

Interesting...maybe my friendly mechanic was yanking my chain. I'll ask him send a picture of it before installing once he receives it.

Still. Shouldn't happen in an engine this new, right?
Old 08-09-2021, 04:01 PM   #7

Doesn’t the chassis have a 3/36 warranty?
Old 08-09-2021, 04:27 PM   #8

Yes! This should be covered under the 3/36 warranty. This post is less about the cost to repair and more about dealing with the defect in the first place. I'm interested to hear if others have experienced it since we plan on driving the Al-Can again!

Sounds like our case may be a one-off, though, which is a good thing.
Old 08-31-2021, 11:17 AM   #9

Footnote

Okay, here's what actually happened. The steering pump assembly and lower hydro boost/power steering hose disconnected, which caused pump failure. Apparently this also impacted the serpentine belt. Had to replace all three of these components.

In hindsight, I probably should have called Ford right then and there to invoke a warranty call. Next step is to try to get them to at least cover the cost of the replacement parts. The pump alone was almost $1,000 (with expedited shipping from California...because, you know, I was in Tok, Alaska which might as well be on Mars...)
Old 09-22-2021, 08:41 AM   #10

Did they give you a part number for the hose assembly?
Jamesd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2021, 12:35 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jamesd View Post
Did they give you a part number for the hose assembly?
Here is what they replaced:

060790 V-Belt
BC2Z3A717E Pressure Hose
LC2Z3A674 Pump Assembly

That last one was the doozy-- $950 because it had to be shipped from a Ford dealer in Redding, CA.