Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 11-13-2018, 12:09 PM   #1

E450 Steering Stabilizer

Anyone found a heavy duty replacement for steering stabilizer on E450 chassis ? I put a new Monroe on but it seems weak. Still not sure about putting on a Safety Steer system, that spring on the shock looks like it would put a lot of wear and tear on power steering pump
che57vy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2018, 12:11 PM   #2

Safe-T-Plus is what we have used on our class A and Super C motorhome chassis'.
WinnieView is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2018, 02:28 PM   #3

Also take a look at the Roadmaster Reflex steering stabilizer. Many good reviews.
2015 EZ-GO TXT Golf Cart
South Jersey
K9Nardu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2018, 05:17 PM   #4

Ford ships these E350/E450 Cutaways off the assembly line
with +3 to +4 degrees of Caster. Those settings are
OK for city driving BUT you want to have +5 to +6 degrees
of Caster for highway driving, OTHERWISE:

POPULAR MECHANICS MAY 1973:
START QUOTE:
If too little caster exists, the car will wander and weave,
thus necessitating constant corrections in steering.
END QUOTE:
Harvard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2018, 05:31 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by che57vy View Post
Anyone found a heavy duty replacement for steering stabilizer on E450 chassis ? I put a new Monroe on but it seems weak. Still not sure about putting on a Safety Steer system, that spring on the shock looks like it would put a lot of wear and tear on power steering pump

I put a Roadmaster Reflex steering stabilizer on my E450 and it is awesome !!
gprapim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2018, 09:22 AM   #6

Our Greyhawk 31FS drove great off the lot, but after 7 years, it started to wonder on the road. Had to replace the factory ball joints. After replacing with greaseable Moog ball joints and an alignment, it drove better than new.

I would start with an alignment and go from there.

-Michael
michael.g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2018, 09:45 AM   #7

I have had alignment and other upgrades it drives good, thinking of better half driving adding a little more help with steering.
che57vy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2018, 09:24 PM   #8

I installed a Roadmaster stabilizer. I took just over an hour to do. It works great and is less expensive that Safety Steer.
rodpod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2018, 04:58 AM   #9

I also installed the Roadmaster steering stabilizer and a larger sway bar. Then had the front end aligned...what a difference.
2018 Jayco Greyhawk Prestige 29 MVP, 400Watt Solar (2)12V, 170ah Lithium "Big Batteries", Surge Protector RVi3 Tow System, TPMS, Real Gauge trip & engine code monitor, RoadMaster Steering Stabilizer, Tailgater Sat antenna, Wingard Connect 2 wifi-LTE roof mounted antenna, Soft-Start on ACs, Xantrex 2000 Watt Inverter
Arkansas
RGD615 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2018, 06:58 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by RGD615 View Post
I also installed the Roadmaster steering stabilizer and a larger sway bar. Then had the front end aligned...what a difference.

X2 - with the exception of the alignment. The combo of the two parts works so well together !!
Old 11-19-2018, 08:23 AM   #11

Yes it does.
2018 Jayco Greyhawk Prestige 29 MVP, 400Watt Solar (2)12V, 170ah Lithium "Big Batteries", Surge Protector RVi3 Tow System, TPMS, Real Gauge trip & engine code monitor, RoadMaster Steering Stabilizer, Tailgater Sat antenna, Wingard Connect 2 wifi-LTE roof mounted antenna, Soft-Start on ACs, Xantrex 2000 Watt Inverter
Arkansas
RGD615 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2018, 09:39 AM   #12

Another vote here for the Roadmaster Reflex. It made a dramatic difference in the way my rig handles. Plus I sleep a little better knowing if I have a front-tire blowout, I should be a little better equipped to handle it without ending up on my side in the ditch. Especially if DW happens to be driving.

Next upgrade will be a Hellwig sway bar up front when the budget allows. Then I'll probably get it aligned with caster bushings installed. These will probably happen at or near the same time. Next may be extended bump stops up front to help with body roll.

Even though an alignment with increased caster will likely take care of the wandering issue alone, these other upgrades have other benefits as well (including reduced body roll for better control), so I plan to do all of it, but unfortunately, I have a limited budget (of time and money) and can't do it all at once.

-2018 Greyhawk 29MV
-2020 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited (JLU) (Primary Toad)
-1994 Jeep Wrangler YJ (Secondary Toad)
-2014 Jay Flight 28BHBE & Ram 2500 6.4L CC 4x4 (sold)
Camper_bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2018, 07:40 PM   #13

Road master, made a big difference on our 2019 RedHawk steering. Best price was RV Upgrades . Com

Rear Firestone air bags are suppose to help with the sway, looking to have it done in a few weeks and I’ll post a review.

Would really like to install liquid springs “CLASS” ride hydraulic suspension but it’s $$$$$$$$$! They are being installed as standard equipment on all emergency service vehicles now with the E450 cutaway. Great reviews, great design!

John
Johnynorthland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2020, 03:27 PM   #14

Our factory original was ridiculous when it came to balance and wobble on turns and dips. Ripped out Ford's and put in Bilstein. Perfect ride and handling now. Same on Jayco for allowing Ford to installing something in an RV that should only be installed in Ford's lightweight SUV/trucks.
Motorhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2020, 06:50 AM   #15

Yep. Roadmaster Reflex. Recommended.
alazear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2020, 03:08 PM   #16

Just to share a note about the Safe-T-Plus for our fellow Georgians, or those fairly close. The factory is in Georgia (west of Atlanta) and will install for free if you purchase from them. I've watched a video or two and the install doesn't look all that hard, but while I'm fairly handy when it comes to safety for the family I'll be happy to let them do it right .
Old 08-03-2020, 04:33 PM   #17

I just installed a Roadmaster Reflex steering stabilizer on our 2018 redhawk 29xk. Install very easy and intial test drive steering already feels better. Will be towing for a long trip in a month and will get to test it good. Next i will be replacing front sway bar, one thing at a time for now.
Dgibbster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2020, 05:29 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dgibbster View Post
I just installed a Roadmaster Reflex steering stabilizer on our 2018 redhawk 29xk. Install very easy and intial test drive steering already feels better. Will be towing for a long trip in a month and will get to test it good. Next i will be replacing front sway bar, one thing at a time for now.

From experience, you’ll love both !!
Old 08-07-2020, 02:06 PM   #19

Just returned earlier today from the Safe-T-Plus factory in Tallapoosa, GA (about an hour west of Atlanta). Made an appointment with Tammy in the shop the other day, and was able to schedule a visit pretty quickly. Took the RV right in and in no time the install was complete. While I was there and out and about, I opted to have them install the track bar in the rear as well. We then took it for a test drive with the technician.

Steering seems to be nice and tight now, and changing lanes is much smoother. It was a worthwhile investment, as its as close to sports car handling I think I'll get with a 32 footer .

The team there couldn't have been nicer to deal with, and even had a nice chat with David Leake, their National Sales Manager, who stopped by to thank me for my business.
Old 08-11-2020, 11:40 AM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by gprapim View Post
X2 - with the exception of the alignment. The combo of the two parts works so well together !!
X3 huge difference. sway from big rigs is manageable now. easy to steer and handle.
rodpod is offline   Reply With Quote