Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 06-24-2020, 09:54 PM   #1

Electric brake controller install

Hello everyone, another question to ask. Getting our 2020 37K, did you install your electric brake controller or did you have it done by professional? Thanks in advance!

V/r,

Eric

2020 37K Seneca
2016 31FS Greyhawk (sold)
Retired USAF
Eric&DianeN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2020, 05:47 AM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric&DianeN View Post
Hello everyone, another question to ask. Getting our 2020 37K, did you install your electric brake controller or did you have it done by professional? Thanks in advance!

V/r,

Eric
I initially had a “professional” and I use that term very lightly, install a brake controller in a tow vehicle. I took it home, hooked up to the trailer and used the manual actuator in the driveway, it immediately blew three fuses. The idiot had hook it up to the cigarette lighter fuse wiring and obviously not tested it properly.
I took it back to prove there was a problem and basically get my money back. I installed it myself, and ran a designated power line to the battery. Make sure you keep the fuse as close to the battery as possible. Another tip is do not use a fuse but use a resettable circuit breaker, if a fuse blows it’s blown until you can stop that doesn’t help you with a brake controller. With a resettable circuit breaker once it cools off it resets itself and the brakes return.
Old 06-25-2020, 06:54 AM   #3

If you buy a new controller they come with easy to understand directions. When I installed one in a 2014 GMC I purchased the optional plug and play cable and it was super easy.
Riich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2020, 07:12 AM   #4
MD3

Super easy DIY....

Seneca is pre-wired for it. Wires were already under the dash on mine.

I took the old Brake Controller out of our last coach and installed it myself in our new Seneca. The hardest part was finding the location of the wires up under the dash. They were bundled and wrapped up behind a couple of other wires.

_
2005 LJ Rubicon - Sahara #90
2019 Can Am X3 XRS Max
2009 ATC enclosed trailer
MD3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2020, 07:25 AM   #5

I have installed 2 different ones in three vehicles. The hardest part has always been routing a dedicated line to the battery through the fire wall. In my last install I was able to find a vacant fuse location in the fuse box and wire it there which is much better. A lot of cars and trucks come with pre-wired controller connections so all you have to do is get an adapter. All the rest had a bundle of wires inconveniently well hidden under the dashboard. Just a matter of using crimp connectors.
200 Watts solar panels from Renogy

Prev. '14 Jeep Grand Cherokee Overland, gas 3.6 V6
RogerR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2020, 07:32 AM   #6

If your new 37K has a 7 pin wire harness in back. Most likely it will have a wire harness under the dash, ready for you to plug in your new brake controller.

Not a MH, but when I did my TV, the hardest part was trying to figure out where to mount the controller. Probably 5 minutes looking for the wire harness, and verifying it was what I needed ( I think it had a sticker on it saying it was the brake controller harness). 20 minutes pondering where to install the controller so it looked good, and not in the way. 5 more minutes mounting it.

2012 Jayco X23B
2020 Ram Laramie 3500 SRW Air ride 50Gal fuel tank.
2007 Dodge Dakota Quad Cab (sold)
Equal-I-zer 4-Point Sway Control
Jagiven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2020, 08:11 AM   #7

Thanks!

Thanks everyone for the info!

2020 37K Seneca
2016 31FS Greyhawk (sold)
Retired USAF
Eric&DianeN is offline   Reply With Quote