Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 10-15-2015, 06:54 AM   #1

Electric Heater Failed

Good Morning All,

I woke up this morning and knew something did not sound right in the rig, but was not quite sure what. Also found the dog in bed with us, which never happens.

It took a few minutes to put things together, but I finally figured out the gas heat was running. The vent was on Maple's usual sleeping space so she had joined us for a cooler space.

I checked the thermostat and it was definately set to Electric. I shut it down and restarted the heat again on electric and the gas heat came on. I checked the breakers everything looks good and the A/C is functioning... That was a miserable test to conduct on an already chilly morning.

Looking for any suggestions you might have for me. While I am happy to discover that in case of electrical failure the heat will default to gas, I have three more nights of cold camping and am loath to burn through my propane supply

Griswald One - Life is a Misadventure!
2015 Greyhawk 29ME / Chevy Sonic
Griswald One is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2015, 06:58 AM   #2

Power down the unit, break out the DVM or VOM and check for continuity across the heater coils.

If OK, check for power to the coils and chase backwards from there...

Sitting in The Cheap Seats.
And proud of it!
mike837go is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2015, 07:03 AM   #3
Site Team

Funny how the heat never fails in the summer time! I had one of my Vornado's heaters bite the dust yesterday and this morning awoke to a tripped breaker on another heater.

Hope you get it fixed. We don't have the electric option but use the fireplace and floor heaters.
Hughes PWD SP-50A, TST TPMS
Gator roll-up bed cover
B&W Turnover ball, Companion Std hitch
Can't find what you're looking on JOF? Try Jayco Owners Forum Custom Google Search
norty1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2015, 07:16 AM   #4

If the outside temps are below freezing the unit will shut down to protect itself. This electic heat pump can only be used in temps above 32 degrees due to it's operation.

The only option that will work is if you have the optional "heat strip". If factory we do not have that strip and the gas kicks on as a backup.

2014 375 BHFS Eagle Premier
2014 Ram 3500 Longhorn DRW CC
6.7 CTD, Aisin, 4.10's
Yamaha EF3000iSEB
3'senough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2015, 07:29 AM   #5
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3'senough View Post
If the outside temps are below freezing the unit will shut down to protect itself. This electic heat pump can only be used in temps above 32 degrees due to it's operation.

The only option that will work is if you have the optional "heat strip". If factory we do not have that strip and the gas kicks on as a backup.
Are the heat strips a option when new!
Hughes PWD SP-50A, TST TPMS
Gator roll-up bed cover
B&W Turnover ball, Companion Std hitch
Can't find what you're looking on JOF? Try Jayco Owners Forum Custom Google Search
norty1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2015, 07:50 AM   #6

Only the Mach 8 Heat pump version as I understand it. The heat strip I believe is over and above the heat pump. You can add the electric strip as far as I know, but not from the factory unless they are doing that too now.

Mine is a heat pump and kicks off when under 32 degrees and the gas furnace kicks on regardless of the setting on the thermo. There is a sensor built into the unit that goes to the auxilary heat and in my case like many others that is the furnace.

2014 375 BHFS Eagle Premier
2014 Ram 3500 Longhorn DRW CC
6.7 CTD, Aisin, 4.10's
Yamaha EF3000iSEB
3'senough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2015, 07:57 AM   #7

Quote:
Mountains are cool but not quite that low yet... Of course the temp guage could be off. Do you know if the system resets on its own or is there something I would need to do?

Further...

May have answered my own question... I shut off the main power for a minute and restarted... It is now running!

Thanks again to the JOF Family!

Old 10-15-2015, 03:06 PM   #8

I have also learned that if you set the thermostat more than 3 degrees above the interior temperature when you select the heat pump it will kick on the gas furnace first. So if the interior temp is 60F I set the desired temp to 63F and turn on the heat pump. Than as the place warms up I slowly move the desired temperature up one degree at a time until I have reached the desired setting. Using that technique prevents the gas furnace from kicking in.
Previous RVs: 3 truck campers and 2 fifth wheels
Love the Seneca. Toad 2018 Ford F-150
Mnwelsh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2015, 03:24 PM   #9

Quote:
The actual set point is closer to 40 for the heat-pump to switch to gas per Coleman. That will vary from unit to unit and how soon the temps inside the shroud drop.
Grumpy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2015, 04:13 PM   #10

My experience is as Grumpy said, below 40 degrees the heat pump is ineffective and the gas furnace kicks on. It also kicks on when the difference between setting and actual is 4 degrees or more. In cold weather you will be joining the propane frequent buyers club. In addition to the fireplace heater (if you have on) I would run a small space heater. 2 space heaters if no fireplace. The little ceramic heaters throw off a lot of heat.

Saw another post a little while ago were they said they ran through their propane in a weekend in freezing temps.

2019 Renegade Valencia 38RW
Gone: 2015 Jayco Seneca / 2010 Tiffin RED / ...
Toads: 2016 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited / 2012 Kia Soul
WaltW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2015, 05:09 PM   #11

i found as Mnwelsh that if the delta from the set temp to actual temp is too great the gas kicks on regardless of the setting.
Old 10-15-2015, 05:18 PM   #12

Well temps close to 40 were certainly within the realm of possibility last night so I think you have explained my challenge. And when I was testing to try and get the system operational again I probably exceeded the 3-4 degree range just in an attempt to ensure it activated in a timely fashion.

This is new tech to me so I was not aware of the challenges posed by low temps. I took my ceramic heater off this rig because I had access to the heat pump. Well lessons learned I picked up a spare heater at WallyMart today. I figure worst case scenario I can keep the spare inside our always chilly bathroom. Thanks for all your advise.

Old 10-15-2015, 07:02 PM   #13

Probably a little late, but just confirming our Tiffin did the same thing. Too cold and the furnace kicks in and brings it up to a certain temp.
2015 Jayco Jay Flight 28BHBE (#8)
BigJohnD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2015, 03:03 PM   #14

This past weekend I experienced the same thing as you described. Heat pump never turned on, only the propane heat. This could be an expensive Fall.

2016 Pinnacle 36REQS
2022 Ford F-450 6.7 4x4 CC LB Dually
Mike & Chelle, My kids when they decide to go with us.
MikeNChelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2015, 04:12 PM   #15

I will be keeping to electric heaters on board for all Spring and Fall camping going forward... Will quickly pay for themselves

Old 10-21-2015, 04:17 AM   #16

We bought a 2000 watt heater from Lowes on sale for $19.95. Does a great job as a fill in for these conditions.

2016 Jayco Greyhawk 29MV
wwachsman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2015, 09:18 AM   #17

After reading the owners manual again, there is suppose to be the word "DIFF" on the LCD screen of the thermostat when electric heat is selected. Mine never says that, only ROOM. Any ideas?

2016 Pinnacle 36REQS
2022 Ford F-450 6.7 4x4 CC LB Dually
Mike & Chelle, My kids when they decide to go with us.
MikeNChelle is offline   Reply With Quote