Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 07-08-2017, 10:24 AM   #1

Electric side of water heater not working

I had taken it to the dealer to fix. They said the element was bad and replaced it along with the relay. third it when I got it back and dosnt work. They tested it again and said the relay is bad and ordered another one. I installed it and it dosnt work. I tested the relays and all are still good including the original. I tested main power and have power and if I jump the relay with a battery it turns the electric power on to the water heater. Next I tested the switch to see if it could be bad and I get power out. So I have a problem between the switch and relay. Power wire off the switch is green. Power wire going to the relay is yellow. On the outside panel there is a green wire coming into the unit and a yellow. I tried testing power on the green when I flipped the switch with no power. Don't know if it's the same wire. There is also a yellow wire in the same plug. Can anyone tell me if I'm on the right wires or any advice where to look to try to fix my water heater

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 07-08-2017, 10:39 AM   #2

With no power to the unit, test for continuity on the wires. Without a wiring diagram you just have to figure it out. I would imagine that the power wires to the element would be a fairly heavy gauge.
Fr8Train is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2017, 10:41 AM   #3

My guess would be if it's not the switch, relay, or wire integrity. It's probably the control board. Seeing as how it is working when you bypass it by jumping the relay.
Old 07-08-2017, 12:16 PM   #4

Seams to me it's the wire that switches the relay. I'm by no means a election. I did try testing the green wire on the out side turning the switch on and off inside. Just don't know if it's the right wire. There is only one green coming out to the plug and a light green that goes right to ground.
Old 07-08-2017, 01:09 PM   #5

Use a meter and check for continuity. You can figure out what wires go where.
Old 07-25-2017, 01:35 PM   #6

It turned out to be the yellow wire that ran from the Circuit board to the relay. It had shorted out to the tank. They run the wire under the insulation against the tank. I did check continuity and it showed as being good.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 08-15-2017, 09:48 PM   #7

I should have added to look for voltage drop as well. That would've found that short, I would think.