Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 10-29-2013, 09:06 PM   #1

Electric steps flex downward when used; also, do not extend far enough

I recently purchased a 2005 Jayco 24SS.

Issue 1) The Kwikee electric steps seem to work properly, but they flex downward a noticeable amount when I step on them, especially the lower step, and I am only 170 pounds. The cause seems to be what they are mounted to: the underside of the first step as you enter the coach. The floorboard of the step bends when weight is placed on the electric step. Does anyone else have this problem, and what would be a good way to fix it?

Issue 2) The top electric step only extends 7.5" from the side of the coach, making going out a bit iffy. The step is mounted about 2.5" in from the side of the coach, which seems to put the retracted steps in the right position, where they extend 1.2" from the coach side. Moving the step unit closer to the side of the coach might make the steps stick out too far when retracted. The motor and extension arm seem to travel to the correct "extend" position. Any ideas on making the top step extend further?
Eric6A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2015, 06:45 PM   #2

I figured out an easy way to stiffen the step, using two bolts through the threshold (under the door when it's closed).

I also found an easy way to extend the top step 1", and raise it 3/4", using a "step enhancer" of 3/4" particle board. That made it safer and easier to step down on when getting out, a previously big irritation to my shorter wife.

If anyone wants more info, reply to the thread and I'll come back to see your question.
Old 04-17-2015, 10:01 AM   #3

Do yourself a favor and purchase a support that you can put under the step to fix the problem. Look on Amazon and you should find one. They are adjustable and are not that expensive.
nascar64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2015, 11:17 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by nascar64 View Post
Do yourself a favor and purchase a support that you can put under the step to fix the problem. Look on Amazon and you should find one. They are adjustable and are not that expensive.
Did you read the posting I made to my original request? The step is now as stiff as if it had a support under it, and it's deeper, which a support would not improve.

Your suggestion is good for people that park and don't move for days; we move almost every day (no car), often with several stops, so we would not be able to use the support much, or worse, we'd probably forget it in a Walmart parking lot!