Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 09-03-2021, 08:45 PM   #1

Electrical issues

Good evening guys:

This has been an interesting day. Left home this morning and everything was working great. After about an hour we stopped for a break. I walked around the MH and opened the side door. Steps came out. Closed the door steps came up. Drove for another hour and stopped for gas. Opened the side door and the steps would not open. I have had problems with the aluminum gears on the steps, so I checked it up to that and will address the problem at home.

Drove on for another hour and stopped for lunch. Started the Onan (Micro Quiet 4000 with edger motor). It ran for about 5 minutes and died. The code inside was 33. After reading I find the switch on the Onan will give a detailed code. Another problem to fix at home.

Driving on, I pull a steep hill. Engine downshifts to second gear. For less than 1 second the tach, speedo, and some other gauges goes dead and the battery light comes on. It did this twice in less 15 seconds. I can not get the MH to replicate this.

Get to the RV park. Dark thirty. Hook up shore power open the slides. Turn on the AC. When I turn on the electric water heater the light on the switch does not illuminate. Switched to LP and worked fine.

I have checked the breakers inside and none are tripped. So far the only problems are the three listed above.

I replaced the chassis battery earlier this year and v10 starts fine. The house battery is about n6 years old and wont hold a charge.

Any place you all think I should start looking would be much appreciated.

I hope everyone has a great long weekend. Stay safe and well!!!

Keith
Boltman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2021, 05:43 AM   #2

Hey Boltman. Would you share with us the type of motorhome, and the type of house battery you have? Also, where are you travelling?
I believe that the 33 means the Onan unit is overheating. Does this fit with where you are travelling? If so, you might verify that it is getting the airflow it needs. Look for anything blocking the vents, and make sure critters haven't built a nest in there blocking up the works.

Having the steps stop working could be an electrical issue caused by a dead house battery or a bad ground somewhere in the circuit. A 6 year old battery which won't hold a charge is a prime suspect. If it were my coach I would replace that battery and while I was in there I would check that all of the connections (at the solenoid and the grounds) are solid. Do you have a multimeter? This is an excellent tool to have.

The electrical gremlins you saw with the engine gauges might be related to the coach battery condition as well if the coach battery has a bad ground in the charging circuit, or an internal short. Just a guess though. A problem that only happens once is tough to troubleshoot.

Keep us informed.
Old 09-04-2021, 03:07 PM   #3

Thanks for your reply Scoutmaster253.

My MH is a 2008 31' Jayco Grayhawk. I am in the hill country in Texas (Kerrville) this weekend and the temp is 93 right now.

I am not sure the group of the battery i know its a 12 volt deep cycle and needs to be replaced. I do have a volt meter at the house, but need to put one on the mh as well.

The Onan is a Micro Quiet 4000 with a very small gas motor and I will follow your lead on the vent issues. It has run in hotter weather than this with no issues.

Also the chassis battery was replaced earlier this year, so I will be looking for loose connections there as well.

I have shore power here. The ac is working so the DW is happy.

Thank you again for your response and I will reply when I find the issues!!!

Keith
Old 09-04-2021, 03:31 PM   #4
TLC

Check your stairs on/off switch if there is one. Sometimes I flip ours off without realizing. Those stairs work on the chassis battery on my ‘17. Prop open the (outside) panel covering your generator. I prop mine open as I have read of overheating issues without built-in vent on cover.

Tim
Old 09-10-2021, 09:41 PM   #5

Problem solved (partially)

I found a stopped up fuel filter on the Onan. After replacing the filter and pump, I think the generator is running as should be.

I will address the steps Sunday afternoon hopefully!!

Thanks again for your responses!!!!!

Keith
Old 09-11-2021, 02:16 PM   #6

Boltaman,

This post regarding the steps may help.
https://www.jaycoowners.com/forums/f...tml#post995062

The steps in my 26Y Greyhawk run off the chassis battery.
A stuck step can kill that battery. Perhaps that is part of your problem?
The fuse for that step is under the hood and autoresets.

You can try just unplugging the 4 pin connector going to the controller under that step to see if that helps.

don_kleinschnitz is offline   Reply With Quote