Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 08-16-2017, 07:13 PM   #1

Electrical problem

I just finished adding a second battery to our Greyhawk. I put both batteries in the compartment next to the factory battery compartment. I drilled 1 1/2" holes in the compartment sides for venting. Then fed the original cables in. Hooked the batteries together...positive to positive and neg to neg then connected the coach cables. Nothing, except the stairs worked. Started checking everything I could think of. Circuit breakers. Fuses. Reconnected the shore power and most of the AC worked except the frig.
I then started the engine but none of the gauges worked, initially, but after a few minutes they came back to life. The frig came back on but the main coach power switch was still inoperable. So, I put the batteries back to the factory configuration...still nothing.
Before I take it to a dealer (and take out a 2nd mortgage), does anyone have any ideas?
jdgmint is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2017, 07:22 PM   #2

1. Check battery voltage.
2. Check for polarity reversal.
3. Check your ground and ensure it's secure and not
corroded.
4. Check your main relay fuse, it's usually on the relay. Check for voltage at the power panel.
5. Plug your rv in and check to see if your appliances work.
Good luck.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Hivoltage98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2017, 07:34 PM   #3

I did almost the same modification on my 29MV. I used two 6v batteries. The ground to the chassis needed to be fixed.

2016 Greyhawk 29MV

Wherever you go, there you are!
LI-Camper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2017, 07:37 PM   #4

Batteries are both at 12.7. Microwave and frig both work. Ground is good. Not sure where the main relay fuse is located. Pulled the 30A reverse polarity fuses and got 0 voltage. Inverter has 0 volts. The battery disconnect switch has 0 volts. There are 2 fuses in the switch housing, one is 7.5A and the other is 5A....both are OK.
Old 08-16-2017, 07:40 PM   #5

We also have a 2016 MV29. The ground appears ok but I'll recheck it.
Old 08-16-2017, 07:42 PM   #6

Is your positive cable red?
Old 08-16-2017, 09:47 PM   #7

Work from the engine back. Start engine; test volTage on both sides of solinoid on right side of firewall; while engine is s running check voltage carefully on each f the positive cables attached to the coach batteries. If no voltage on any of them problem is probably the 30 amp mini fuse next t the battery discovery connect solinoid.
Charles & Vicky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2017, 06:05 AM   #8

Thanks a lot. I'll give it try
Dave
Old 08-17-2017, 07:01 AM   #9

The batteries you are using, are 12 volt or 6 volt? it sounds like you have connected them in parallel. If they are 6 volt batteries hooked in parallel, then you still only have 6 volts applied to your systems. You need to hook up two 6 volt batteries in series to get your 12 volts. The symptoms that you describe tell me that is what the problem is. Since the stairs are connected to the chassis battery, when you start the engine the and the door is closed door, the stairs get powered from the chassis battery to make sure they go up.
2013 Jeep Wrangler
Blue Ox Tow Package
Blog: https://mfalcontraveler.wordpress.com/
MFalcon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2017, 07:46 AM   #10

The batteries are 12 volt, 27 series. I'm baffled.
Old 08-17-2017, 09:31 AM   #11

Okay if they are 12 volts then the parallel set up is correct. Sorry for the baffling comment. I wasn't sure, when I initially read your post, if you were using 6 or 12 volt batteries. As a trouble shooting idea, did you put the battery configuration back to the way it was to make sure your systems worked as before?
2013 Jeep Wrangler
Blue Ox Tow Package
Blog: https://mfalcontraveler.wordpress.com/
MFalcon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2017, 09:11 PM   #12

Hi, Hope you get the issue figured out. I would like to do this mod as well. Did you add any additional support to the compartment where you added the batteries?
TriumphRider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2017, 10:26 PM   #13

I added a 1/2 plywood 27" x 16". You'll need it to attach tie down straps. The compartment has plenty of strength. I also used a 1 1/2" hole saw to cut 6 holes in each end. You need lots a ventilation for the possible hydrogen gas off. But, back to your original question. In a word...no. I had Jayco tech support (Ask for Mitch) send me schematics but still no answers. After 2 days of cussing and swearing, I finally waved the white flag. I've got a mobile RV tech coming over tomorrow. I'll keep you up to speed.
Old 08-19-2017, 08:25 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdgmint View Post
I just finished adding a second battery to our Greyhawk. I put both batteries in the compartment next to the factory battery compartment.
I definitely don't want to hijack this thread, but being new to the Class C family (delivery of our 29MV in November 2017), I want to learn everything I can prior to the delivery. So, why the second battery? Do you do a lot of boondocking? Compared to our current 2013 TT which has one battery, I know there is a greater power draw from all the electrical systems in a Class C when sitting and not connected to shore power, like in a National Park where gennies are prohibited. Thank you!
Love To Travel 2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2017, 11:24 AM   #15

We spend time in the southern California desert. We want to run the generator as little as possible although during the day we have no choice... If we want AC. It gets very cool as night so battery power is ideal for most needs . Unless you are adept at electrical systems you might want to consult your dealer on the project.
Old 08-19-2017, 01:26 PM   #16

btw....here is my 2 6v in my 2015 29mv

someone else asked for this a few months ago, sorry for the delay....works great....
Also a question, does anyone know where the transfer switch is on my Greyhawk 2015 29mv, for some reason I cannot get shorepower to connect anymore...no 110v. into my RV, generator on board supplies 110, but plugging into 110v. outlet does not.
thanks
Attached Thumbnails
20150704_104644.jpg   20150704_105028.jpg  
Old 08-19-2017, 01:42 PM   #17

Mine is located under the bed, with the rest of the spaghetti.
Old 08-19-2017, 07:20 PM   #18

mine is under the bed too
che57vy is offline   Reply With Quote